Bill Belichick Releases Statement On The Passing Of Don Shula

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Bill Belichick Releases Statement On The Passing Of Don Shula

Robert Alvarez

Bill Belichick releases statement regarding the passing of Hall of Fame head coach Don Shula.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

With that being said..... Belichick will haunt Shula in heaven as he will overtake Shula’s as the all time winningest coach at some point.

Shula did not like Belichick & I believe the feeling is mutual. Belichick s statement was brief & was probably only done so he didn’t have to explain not acknowledging his death.

Belichick took the high road, as is the way he does when it comes to the history of the game.

I found BB’s reference to his Dad interesting. I’ve long had a little theory that Steve Belichick and Don Shula had a history with each other, starting with their mutual association with Paul Brown in Cleveland. I figure Steve Belichick, scouting/evaluating genius I imagine him to have been, pegged Shula for a sanctimonious self-aggrandizing POS 60 years ago, and they were the classic “frenemies” thereafter, making BB’s threat to Shula’s records all that more intolerable for Don.

I’ve made my feelings about Shula clear throughout my time posting on this board. F Shula, F his stupid tough guy act, F his Competition Committee BS every year, F his watering down the turf (Note: which happened only a year after the snowplow game; is there any better example of his stupefying level of hypocrisy?), F his stupid oversized glasses, F his dumbass sons getting coaching positions over more qualified people, and F his crappy steakhouses.

I can’t explain it better than that Shula was the first sports figure I can remember just really hating, based mostly on always seeming to get such undeserved adulation, and it seemed to go on forever, too far into my adulthood. Every year I’d be looking forward to the new season for the Pats, and there he was, bending rules in his favor and always the favorite to win it all even when his severe decline as a coach seemed so obvious. When the lowly Pats finally made it to their first Super Bowl, too many outside New England only whined about not getting the Dolphins-Bears rematch. So for whatever reason, there is quite simply no one associated with the NFL I despise more than him, worse than Goodell, Polian, Ray Lewis, Jack Tatum, and smelly old Al Davis combined.

Someone else posted something on the other Shula thread to the effect of hoping he spends eternity waiting outside Heaven’s gate waiting for St. Peter to finish watching clips of 3 Games to Glory 6 before he gets in. I’d be good with that. “Feck” him indeed.

Umm, and of course condolences to his family.

This is like when Belichick falsely praises next week's opponent in his usual deadpan voice. Belichick is going to run all over Shula's records. Go get it Bill

BB: ‘Haters mad for whatever reason.’

With that being said..... Belichick will haunt Shula in heaven as he will overtake Shula’s as the all time winningest coach at some point.

Shula did not like Belichick & I believe the feeling is mutual. Belichick s statement was brief & was probably only done so he didn’t have to explain not acknowledging his death.
Called him a great "coaching figure", rather than a great coach, which seemed odd. Maybe Bill just acknowledging the pedestal the league put him on without specifically saying he's a "great coach". Have to wonder how BB's dad and Shula could have been real friends with Shula disparaging him (and BB being the constant adult in it all).

I do think the 16-0 got to Shula, even though the Pats didn't go undefeated. He knows his undefeated team can never again be mentioned without mentioning the Pats also had a (longer) undefeated regular season.

Tells you a lot when the most disappointment people here have is that he won't live to see BB pass him in wins. Hopefully Shula got to read some of those articles pumping Stidham as BB's next great QB before he passed.

Last edited:
Just read an article in USA Today about how Shula is the greatest coach of all time and how he turned Miami into a respected team.. blah, blah, blah...

At the end of the day here is what is important:

Shula in 33 years 6 Conference Championships and 2 Super Bowl wins..
BB in 25 years 9 Conference Championships and 6 SB wins..

Of course there will be those who will come up with all sorts of metrics to support their POV, but at the end of the day not sure any can compare to what BB has accomplished post salary cap 19 consecutive winning seasons, 9 AFC Championships and 6 SB's..

Bill has to write one of these e-placards/statements once a week in 2020.

Did Shula steal Nick Bonticonti or did the dopey Pats trade him?

Yeah, Belichick isn’t going to tank or trash a season. We are still going to compete and this comparison is a big reason why.

Yeah, Belichick isn’t going to tank or trash a season. We are still going to compete and this comparison is a big reason why.

Another indicator of his greatness, don't get lost or lose focus over things you cannot control or distract the team..

Did Shula steal Nick Bonticonti or did the dopey Pats trade him?
Shula stole Nick Buoniconti...don't recall any Bonticonti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes