PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big Mac should have stayed....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPF

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Just like Jeremiah Trotter found out when he left the Eagles to join the Redskins, sometimes it's not worth it to take the money and run.

Browns | McGinest speaks out
Sat, 23 Sep 2006 09:03:55 -0700

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns LB Willie McGinest lashed out at critics who believe McGinest really does not want to play in Cleveland. "If I didn't want to be here, I wouldn't be here," McGinest said. "I wouldn't have signed here. Second of all, I'm not a quitter - I don't care what our record is. Anybody who knows me knows that I hate not playing, and regardless of the situation, I want to be out there. If we're getting beat by 50 points, I'm going to be out there on the last play."

He's got his money in the bank. He had 3 SB rings anyway, time for retirement planning.

i don't know if he coulda

BelichickFan said:
He's got his money in the bank. He had 3 SB rings anyway, time for retirement planning.
did BB/SP actually make him an offer?
he's got the rings.
he's got the money.
he operates a couple of businesses in the L.A. area, established companies . one's a recording studio.
he's about as set as any nfl player could expect to be.
but this stuff in cleveland, he's got to be really unhappy. i can't see how/why he'd spend the full season there.

Re: i don't know if he coulda

He doesnt care if they go 0-16??

BPF said:
Just like Jeremiah Trotter found out when he left the Eagles to join the Redskins, sometimes it's not worth it to take the money and run.

Browns | McGinest speaks out
Sat, 23 Sep 2006 09:03:55 -0700

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns LB Willie McGinest lashed out at critics who believe McGinest really does not want to play in Cleveland. "If I didn't want to be here, I wouldn't be here," McGinest said. "I wouldn't have signed here. Second of all, I'm not a quitter - I don't care what our record is. Anybody who knows me knows that I hate not playing, and regardless of the situation, I want to be out there. If we're getting beat by 50 points, I'm going to be out there on the last play."

Never mind the fact that the Patriots didn't want him back or that they never expressed any interest in bringing him back or offering him a contract, he should have just asked to play here for free. Good point.

Re: i don't know if he coulda

Kdo5 said:
He doesnt care if they go 0-16??

What he meant was he doesn't care what their record is, he'll be out there playing if he can.

We don't know his actual motives for going to Cleveland, and we really don't know what went on between him and the Pats.

pity that he left anyway...
i really loved Willie Mc Ginest with us and i will remember him always like a Patriot

I don't know if anyone can lay blame at the feet of Willie for leaving. According to him, the Pats were not exactly trying to re-sign him. We don't know if that's true or not but until proven otherwise, all I'm willing to do is wish him the best in Cleveland.

Willie gave us a lot of good years even after many people had written him off because of the often injury plagued start of his career. He was a huge contributor under BB the last few years. It's a shame he won't finish his career as a Patriot but inevitably sometimes it's just time to move on.

The guy is all about class. I know he said some stupid things earlier in this offseason but while he was here, the guy was about as respectable as anyone could have asked. And if nothing else, we know his leadership in the lockerroom is sorely missed.

Last edited:
It's a shame that Willy left, from a fans point of view. We don't know what went on between his people and the front office, other than he was relesed by the team rather than play for 8 million in 2006. He did not renegotiate, was not resigned and that's it.
His departure fits the mold of how the front office deals with aging vets. Its a brutal business sometimes but its fairly clear that this is how the Pats management operates and will do so as the team goes forward.
By falling in love with players we tend to over-emphesize their importance to the team. I'm guilty of it and most of the folks on this board are too.
Willie was a great locker room presence and was still pretty good on the field as well. Management simply made a decision that a younger and cheaper player would be better for the team right now and in the long run. I have to accept this because I have such faith in Scott and Bill. I may not always like it but I do trust those two guys to do whats right for the team. NO one in the NFL does it better. Period!
I remember all too well the bleak days of Bobby F$%$# Greir.
I no longer root for John Hannah or Sam the Bam. I root for whose wearing the jersey now. I am a New England Patriots fan and if you're not in my teams sweater, for whatever reason, you are against us.
Thanks for the great memories Willie. You were a class act while playing here.
Thanks for the bright present and shinning future Scott and Bill!

Rich

Yeah, thanks for everything Willie. It's a damn shame that things couldn't have worked out for all parties.

Willie is still a player, he still has the drive and motivation, and I wish him well with the Browns.

He's welcome back to sign a 1 day contract & retire a Patriot

Ya but not as #55
Thats for Seau...

The way I understood it, he went to Cleveland and they gave him an offer he could not refuse..so tehre really was no chance for any counter offer. Tough times for him..but a class guy. I do hope at some point he retires as a Patriot.

Pats726 said:
The way I understood it, he went to Cleveland and they gave him an offer he could not refuse..so tehre really was no chance for any counter offer. Tough times for him..but a class guy. I do hope at some point he retires as a Patriot.
My recollection, also, was that Crennel flashed a lot of money at him right away. Pretty much as soon as FA started, he was gone. Pats rarely rush, and we don't know what they offered him, only that $8 mill was too much.

Willie was cut. He had another year on his contract. We are not eligible for Compensatory selections for him. McGinest wasn't a case of a player looking for more money. There was something going on behind the curtain that has never been made perfectly clear.

Why would RAC give him Megabucks?

rookBoston said:
Willie was cut. He had another year on his contract. We are not eligible for Compensatory selections for him. McGinest wasn't a case of a player looking for more money. There was something going on behind the curtain that has never been made perfectly clear.

it is/was a really odd situation.
RAC would bring him in to save face if nothing else.
but i don't understand that serious contract.
knowing who/what Willie Ray is, why does RAC have him ride the pine?
i hope we don't have to wait ffor somebody's memoir to find out.
where, oh where, is will mcdonough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back