PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2021 CB/PTP Thread

Vitale could be. Lacosse should be as well.

I know Edelman is a fan favorite, but he could be as well.

I keep hoping that at some point we move on from Bentley. Not a lot of savings, just piece of mind.
All for LaCosse gone, I like Vitale, but unsure what his role would be

Bentley ain't going anywhere, one dimensional run stuffing LB, but he's not much different than Elandon Roberts frankly

Bentley ain't going anywhere, one dimensional run stuffing LB, but he's not much different than Elandon Roberts frankly
Which is why Bentley should be gone...Just like Roberts, Bentley isn't even good at one thing that he's still on the roster to do...

Last edited:
Any updated thoughts on Newsome? He had a strong year and ran well. Seems long-limbed and physical.

Any updated thoughts on Newsome? He had a strong year and ran well. Seems long-limbed and physical.
I think Northwestern has two first round picks. Newsome is clean all over. Feet and hips work in concert. Hips just pop open allowing to stay tight, trail or w/e. + COD

Tough to fool him on double moves. Tough to get physical with him he'll give it right back. I've noticed him use his body to steer a WR or he'll lock up if a WR tries to bully him.

Eyes are on the WR until he finds that tell then he'll turn and try to locate. He'll peek at the QB but he plays his man.

He's an efficient player. Everything is natural or smooth nothing forced. I've seen different opinions on his speed or quicks but i see no problems. Everything is smooth - backpedal & turn are fluid & balanced. + half turn/bail.

+ closing speed. Click & close.

They had him playing everything. Press, off, zone. He played like he had a good understanding of what was coming off those or how to take advantage. + recognition

Inconsistent run support and tackling but you can live with it. He improves slightly he'll be above average.

Can't see him making it out of the first-top 40.

The third level of the patriots defense makes our pattern matching cover 3 defense go!

Gilmore usually takes his guy man on man all over the field. Meanwhile the rest of the secondary is free to play cover 1,2 or 3.

Jackson is amazing anticipating throws, especially from a zone look.

if Gilmore is traded, I do not think we can plug Jackson into the Gilmore role.

however there are two guys in this draft that we have a shot at drafting early that could replace Gilmore. Those two guys are horn from South Carolina and newsome from northwestern.

horn is the best man cover corner in this draft. But is much weaker in a zone defense.
Newsome is really good on press man, but also excels in zone. But not a lot of good tape on newsome pre 2020.

Farley reportedly having back surgery. That will seriously affect his draft status.

Chris Simms rankings

1. Caleb Farley, Virginia Tech
2. Tyson Campbell, Georgia
3. Patrick Surtain II, Bama
4. Aaron Robinson, UCF
5. Paulson Adebo, Stanford
6. Marco Wilson, Florida

Chris Simms rankings

4. Aaron Robinson, UCF
6. Marco Wilson, Florida

Simms just likes to be contrarian. Farley's technique is all over the place (although he's the most physically gifted in the draft). I do really like Adebo, and I hope we draft him, but above Horn? That's a tough sell. No Newsome? No Stokes? Maybe he's right, but this list is a miss for me.

Last edited:
Simms just likes to be contrarian. Farley's technique is all over the place (although his the most physically gifted in the draft). I do really like Adebo, and I hope we draft him, but above Horn? That's a tough sell. No Newsome? No Stokes? Maybe he's right, but this list is a miss for me.
I would go more like this although Farley's injury s*cks cause i wanted to see his pro day numbers.
1. Farley
2. Surtain
3. Horn
4. Newsome
5. Stokes
6. Campbell/Melifonwu

For reference, his list last year was
  1. CJ Henderson
  2. AJ Terrell
  3. Jeff Okudah
  4. Kristian Fulton
  5. Trevon Diggs
And he took quite a bit of flak for not having Okudah at 1, got ridiculed online for it.

Farley had a torn acl in 2017 and missed games in 2019 due to back spasms.

with his medicals, no team in the top 20 should draft him.

Chris Simms rankings

4. Aaron Robinson, UCF
6. Marco Wilson, Florida

Adebo's a 4th-round guy all day long.

I had us taking Greg Newsome in my latest mock. I wasn’t entirely sure about the pick because of questions about scheme fit, but I included him because I thought me could go the Devin McCourty route. Try him at CB and if that doesn’t work out then switch him to FS because just from scouting reports, that looked like a real possibility for transition. So my question is this. Could Newsome play FS?

I had us taking Greg Newsome in my latest mock. I wasn’t entirely sure about the pick because of questions about scheme fit, but I included him because I thought me could go the Devin McCourty route. Try him at CB and if that doesn’t work out then switch him to FS because just from scouting reports, that looked like a real possibility for transition. So my question is this. Could Newsome play FS?

I think he is the second best cover 2 corner in this draft. I think he stays at corner.

exactly cover 2.

I’ve always thought of us as more of a cover-1 team. I realise they switch it up but unless things changed drastically last season, I still think man 2 man coverage on the outside with a deep safety. They may get more zone creative on TEs and slot WRs though.

In our pattern matching cover 3 defense, Gilmore usually plays press man on the opponents best receivers and the rest of the secondary plays cover 1,2 or 3 everywhere else.

In this draft, horn is the perfect replacement for Gilmore,

newsome would be a replacement for j mccourty’ old role.

Up until a few weeks ago, I thought this was a good CB class

Still do, best in a while IMO, but not as good as I initially thought

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes