PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2018 NFL DRAFT/PATRIOT-TYPE THREAD

Street and Hill both interest me. Chubb is a great player, but he's top 10.

Chubb will be a monster in this league. I can only think of a handful of times that I've seen a DL thoroughly take over a game and win it for his team. Chubb against FSU is one of those occasions.

Chubb will be a monster in this league. I can only think of a handful of times that I've seen a DL thoroughly take over a game and win it for his team. Chubb against FSU is one of those occasions.

If I'm Cleve I'm targeting Chubb.

Ogbah, Garrett, Chubb, Ogun, Collins, Kirksey, Peppers would be a great group to build around.

If I'm Cleve I'm targeting Chubb.

Ogbah, Garrett, Chubb, Ogun, Collins, Kirksey, Peppers would be a great group to build around.
I would as well, but I think their fans would riot if they didn’t pick a QB. I’m going to **** myself if they pick Allen at one.

What do people think about ST Brown from Notre dame?
Looks like a good mid round pick to me if he is there.
Thoughts?

What do people think about ST Brown from Notre dame?
Looks like a good mid round pick to me if he is there.
Thoughts?

I think he'll go in the 2nd. He's huge and moves fluidly for a guy that size. There's not a lot of holes in his game. I have him as my WR5 and in my top-40.

I think he'll go in the 2nd. He's huge and moves fluidly for a guy that size. There's not a lot of holes in his game. I have him as my WR5 and in my top-40.

My guess is that someone will reach for him earlier. Look at how many receivers went top ten last year. Look at the contracts in FA. Then look at how weak the receiver class is this year. I don't think it's the best investment, but my guess is some team will be enamored by his size and speed. Rare combination.

My guess is that someone will reach for him earlier. Look at how many receivers went top ten last year. Look at the contracts in FA. Then look at how weak the receiver class is this year. I don't think it's the best investment, but my guess is some team will be enamored by his size and speed. Rare combination.
Would you be mad if we used the lesser of our round 2 picks on him?
Or does Chad Jackson Aaron Dobson Bethel Johnson Brandon tate does that ring all too familar?

Would you be mad if we used the lesser of our round 2 picks on him?
Or does Chad Jackson Aaron Dobson Bethel Johnson Brandon tate does that ring all too familar?

He's a talented player, no doubt. I just don't know if I see the value in WR that early, given our depth chart. If we move a player, or someone is injured, then that's another story, but right now we have, at minimum:

Cooks
Edelman
Hogan
Mitchell
Dorsett
Britt
Patterson

Pretty deep and diverse group, and it also doesn't include Gronk, Burkhead, or White -- traditionally Gronk and White would see more targets than anyone after Cooks and Edelman. Tough to justify the roster spot with other, more pressing positions, but that's just me.

The Patriots are in a weird spot with wide receivers. Edelman's coming off an injury and getting up there in age and there's no heir apparent to him like there has been before. Cooks is a borderline WR1 but they'll either have to pay him next year or let him walk for nothing without a true replacement. Mitchell looked good his rookie year but he's an injury case you can't expect anything or you're liable to be disappointed.

It's possible they walk into next season with a 33 year old Edelman, a 31 year old Hogan, and little else in the way of receivers. With Gronk threatening retirement, that could be ugly, and you can't expect receivers to step into the NFL and be great from the get-go. Even the best ones rarely do much their rookie year (Terry Glenn, Michael Thomas, Randy Moss, and Anquan Boldin excepted).

Unless they think a guy is truly a WR1 in the making, they probably won't take one until the end of the draft, but it could leave them hamstrung. This is why the "we shouldn't pay for Cooks" people are going to be disappointed.

I don't mind paying Cooks 14-15 as long as the cap keeps going up.

It's behind him that worries me. Edleman & Gronk are done after 2020.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back