PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best site for training camp updates/insights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Family

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
What is your favorite website (free or pay) for Patriots training camp updates/insights? Obviously Patsfans.com is #1, but other than here???

I would have designed a poll, but probably would have neglected to mention the best one.

Reiss, Curran, Globe, Herald, Providence Journal, Boston Sports Journal, The Athletic?

Which do you enjoy most and why?

Twitter reports from reporters and others attending forwarded here by prompt posters and high and lowlights from posters who attended camp.

What is your favorite website (free or pay) for Patriots training camp updates/insights? Obviously Patsfans.com is #1, but other than here???

I would have designed a poll, but probably would have neglected to mention the best one.

Reiss, Curran, Globe, Herald, Providence Journal, Boston Sports Journal, The Athletic?

Which do you enjoy most and why?

I'm not attempting to evade your question, but the daily camp threads truly are the best place for training camp updates.

The reason for that is that you get a combination of on-site fan reports, with the best of the group mentioned above (i.e., Mike Reiss, Chris Price, Tom Curran, Jeff Howe, etc.). By having them accumulated and compiled in one place it doesn't matter if one of those columnists missed something, because another did report it.

Your best bet is Pats Fans as you get great posters who aggregate observations & reports from online in the daily threads. You also get live observations from some posters that attend training camp themselves.

Otherwise, Howe on the Athletic has interesting nuggets (paywall), Doug Kyed does pretty good work & Lazar should have detailed observations at the end of each practice.

I follow Mike Reiss and Evan Lazar on Twitter, they are excellent

Bedard (BSJ) historically has provided the best training camp updates I've seen. He provides excellent analysis on OL/DL 1 v 1 play.

I've also been very impressed with the Athletic. They must pay those guys by the word, because the detail in Howe's columns has greatly expanded since his days at the Herald. They added Nick Underhill to the Pats bear & he has been outstanding.

Reiss is still my favorite and I love his Sunday morning columns, but ESPN seems to limiting how much content he can put out.

Bedard (BSJ) historically has provided the best training camp updates I've seen. He provides excellent analysis on OL/DL 1 v 1 play.

I've also been very impressed with the Athletic. They must pay those guys by the word, because the detail in Howe's columns has greatly expanded since his days at the Herald. They added Nick Underhill to the Pats bear & he has been outstanding.

Reiss is still my favorite and I love his Sunday morning columns, but ESPN seems to limiting how much content he can put out.
Yes ...
for me it's here, Twitter feeds on the right, Boston Sports Journal and The Athletic here
and there. What Bedard has done at BSJ is phenominal for coverage of all my 5 teams.
Money more than well spent .............

Thanks everyone.

It's all coming back to me. The daily threads here on Patfans have missed nothing past years. Every relevant tweet is posted.

BSJ and The Athletic do offer thoughts and commentary that are at times even ridiculous, but there are nuggets, observations, and statistics not available anywhere else.

Just to followup on my point about the Athletic. Underhill and Howe have detailed roster breakdowns up this morning. Among the tidbits:

- Winovich practices like a maniac
- Belichicks grade on Harry was “much higher” than his draft slot.
- While it may not mean anything, Stidholm’s spring workouts were “noticeably superior” than Garappolo’s spring 2014 workouts.
- Duke Dawson looked like the real deal in spring minicamp

I'm a little disappointed in this week so far in the lack of NFL stories. I just checked out Ringer.com who usually have had good in depth NFL reporting and 4 of the 5 top stories are about the NBA. Must be job review time as they suck up to bssketball junkie Bill Simmons.
'

Last edited:

I am a fan of Bedard and his weekly spot on squeaky and spazz. However when I went to sign up for his site when it first went online I was fully prepared to pay and then it said free subscriptions for Vets. So I filled it out and waited for the email it said I would receive, after a few weeks, I didn't receive an email, figuring they were busy and getting things sorted out, I went back and did it again.

Waited and nothing, this time I waited a month and did it a 3rd time. Never received the email, I don't expect things for free but if you say you want to support Vets with a free subscription you should follow up on it. Otherwise I would have been a paying subscriber.

Any vets on here get a response from the site?

Must be job review time as they suck up to bssketball junkie Bill Simmons.

This reminded me of the Odell Beckham quote recently about how "he" was the reason the Giants at 5-11 got prime time games last year...

Uh, no - the 10+ million potential viewers in the TV area got the Giants those games much like LA snagging the two best players in free agency for basketball are still getting headlines for that 10+ million potential readers on the left coast.

It's the size of the media market that drives these things.

That's what I LOVE about Bill. Since the draft all I hear from other team's are coach saying, "well, we really have something special here" or "We have high expectations this year" or some such iteration of coach-speak. But with Bill its always pretty much, "I haven't got a clue right now, but I'm excited to see if we can put something together. Come ask me that question around Thanksgiving and I'll have a better idea". Or some such verbiage.

The fact is that all 32 teams should be saying "I haven't got a clue", because that are bringing in 90 guys and have lost about 30% of their previous rosters. How can the POSSIBLY know if they have something 'special'. This is not like the NBA when you have 15 man rosters and a majority of the minutes to to about 8 of them. There are just TOO many pieces to juggle right now to know what kind of team you will have.

All that being said, I'm definitely going Sunday, and might even skip poker and go Saturday too, depending on the weather. There is always so much going on that I have found you really need to go in with a plan to concentrate on certain particular areas otherwise you end up watching just the receivers and QB's. So here is what I'll be looking closely at.

Wynn, JWilliams, MBennet, and Stidham.

I want to watch how Wynn is moving

I want to see that JWilliams is better than the TE we DIDN'T pick.

I want to see if Bennett is still the explosive guy he was in 2014

I want to see if Stidham has the arm and release to actually become a suitable back up to Brady next year.

I'll leave all the receiver talk to others, because you all know how much I "love" WR's ;)

Oh... I posted that link because they frequently have fresh video and/or articles. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back