PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best Patriots teams to not win a title

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 team wasn’t very good. They had limitations at receiver, rookie TE’s, average running game, statistically the worst defense of all time, but happened to strike lightning and go on an unlikely run to the #1 seed.

Where are you coming up with that?

Where are you coming up with that?
I thought they were ranked up there, but apparently they aren't. I can't find anything online and pulling ups stats is a pain in the a**.

Their defense was bad though.

I thought they were ranked up there, but apparently they aren't. I can't find anything online and pulling ups stats is a pain in the a**.

Their defense was bad though.

2011 defense might have been the worst in the league and the 2010 defense wasn’t good either. Rough era for the defense on this team.

According to McGinest, he told LT on NFLN why the Pats mocked them and it was because the Chargers were talking a lot of sh** during their ‘05 meeting. Chargers beat down the Pats 34-17 and the Chargers were telling them “their time is up” or something like that.

Oct. 2, 2005: Chargers 41, Patriots 17

The sideshow: Walking off the field after the game, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips yelled to no one in particular, “That’s an (rear end)-whippin’ right there.” Cornerback Drayton Florence poured gasoline on the fire by adding, “(Expletive) New England and their team. Get the look of shock off your faces. We beat your (rear end).” Those quotes weren’t widely reported at the time, but the Patriots would recall them 15 months later.

I definitely remember the Phillips comment. Wasn’t really hard to object to. However Florence was ******ed as well as McCree.
They used to make LT to be this respectful living legend ala Payton or Sanders and to be honest he had even me snowed into believing he was one of those greats. From that game on all the chinks and flaws of his character kept getting exposed and many of the blind realized this guys a first class selfish, stat loving, prima dona, malcontent.

Lights out dances blah, blah. To this day I can’t believe why Willie would even have to explain to LT why Merriweather and the boys did what they did. Like duh?

2011 defense might have been the worst in the league and the 2010 defense wasn’t good either. Rough era for the defense on this team.
Might have motivated the Jones-HT-Collins picks.

2007 still stings. That is all.

I'll never get over 2007. No shame in that. We fizzled at the end but so what? We beat everyone's SB predictions that year. Going into that year Dallas, Indy, Cinci, Balt (Thanks Rex), Phila, SDC ... People were talking up Washington back then.

That team was special at its peak.

2011 was unreal though ...
Gronk, AH, Welker, Jules, Branch, Solder, Mankins

Oct. 2, 2005: Chargers 41, Patriots 17

The sideshow: Walking off the field after the game, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips yelled to no one in particular, “That’s an (rear end)-whippin’ right there.” Cornerback Drayton Florence poured gasoline on the fire by adding, “(Expletive) New England and their team. Get the look of shock off your faces. We beat your (rear end).” Those quotes weren’t widely reported at the time, but the Patriots would recall them 15 months later.

I definitely remember the Phillips comment. Wasn’t really hard to object to. However Florence was ******ed as well as McCree.
They used to make LT to be this respectful living legend ala Payton or Sanders and to be honest he had even me snowed into believing he was one of those greats. From that game on all the chinks and flaws of his character kept getting exposed and many of the blind realized this guys a first class selfish, stat loving, prima dona, malcontent.

Lights out dances blah, blah. To this day I can’t believe why Willie would even have to explain to LT why Merriweather and the boys did what they did. Like duh?
I've been trying hard to find the clip of McGinest explaining to LT why that happened but no luck.

However, I did find this:

I'll never get over 2007. No shame in that. We fizzled at the end but so what? We beat everyone's SB predictions that year. Going into that year Dallas, Indy, Cinci, Balt (Thanks Rex), Phila, SDC ... People were talking up Washington back then.

2007 still haunts me. But anyone with a brain knew the Pats were the Super Bowl favorites before the season started. The Moss trade and Adalius Thomas/Stallworth signings put them over the top. Welker was an unknown. Chargers were absolutely stacked, but had a 2nd year starting QB. Colts were no slouch as well.

People picking teams like Baltimore, Cincy, Philly, or even Washington were just being a**holes. Only doing it to get a reaction.

It's a shame the 2007 Cowboys didn't go to the Super Bowl. That team was stacked. Had Parcells stayed one more year, Romo and Witten's vacation gets cut short or never even happens. They end up in the Super Bowl.

In order 07 clearly. 2011 was derailed a bit due to onjuries iirc 2017 was close to 11. I still think BB messed up not playing Butler. The D collapsed without him.

2010 was a solid team but in retrospect not really super bowl worthy.

What puts 2007 right at the top isn’t only 16-0... it’s WHO they beat on the way there. They beat team after team at or near the top of their division. Home or away it didn’t matter. That schedule wasn’t like last year with a stretch of trash teams - this was as hard a schedule as I’ve ever seen them play and they still dominated.

The loss took some of the shine off that team but not all or even most of it. One of the greatest teams in NFL history and maybe not that far off from the top.

In order 07 clearly. 2011 was derailed a bit due to onjuries iirc 2017 was close to 11. I still think BB messed up not playing Butler. The D collapsed without him.

2010 was a solid team but in retrospect not really super bowl worthy.

Over the last 5 games of the season the Patriots allowed more than 7 points once. Including wins over 3 playoff teams

The 1976 team beat the Defending SB champs (Steelers) at their field, the destroyed the SB champions 48-17. The playoff game was stolen from them by Ben Dreith, with multiple bad calls in the 4th quarter.

As a team they averaged 5 yds/att rushing.

beat me to it ,13

The next pats team to not win a super bowl

Thank god we won 6 times......06', 07', 10', 11', 12', 13', 15', and '17 were all literally 8 plays or injuries away from 8 more titles......

What puts 2007 right at the top isn’t only 16-0... it’s WHO they beat on the way there. They beat team after team at or near the top of their division. Home or away it didn’t matter. That schedule wasn’t like last year with a stretch of trash teams - this was as hard a schedule as I’ve ever seen them play and they still dominated.

The loss took some of the shine off that team but not all or even most of it. One of the greatest teams in NFL history and maybe not that far off from the top.
Exactly the point of my post ... We beat everyone's fav ...
Dallas, Indy, SDC, Phila, Pitt were legit.

Brutal schedule from start to finish. SDC, Cinci, Dallas, Dallas, Colts, Phila, Balt, Pitt and a dog fight with NYG to end the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots