PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best loss in New England Patriots history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The best loss in team history was the Halloween game against the Steelers in 2004, where their 21-game winning streak came to an end. For one, it took the pressure off the team. Ever since that game, though, from the Steelers coaches to players to fans, the term "punch them in the mouth" became their caveman rally cry and overall philosophy, as they've tried to replicate it time and time again. The truth is during the Halloween Game, the Steelers were really hot and the Patriots just played like garbage; I think the streak was wearing them down; they didn't have Dillon and Law due to injuries. Brady threw two picks.

The final was 34-20 but not even that close. It was a rare total beatdown against Brady and Belichick.

New England Patriots at Pittsburgh Steelers - October 31st, 2004 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

That game re-affirmed the identity of those tough 70s Steelers team. The "Blitzburgh" buzzword returned, the fading power running game became overrated again. Before, during, the after the game, tons of Steelers players talked so much smack about becoming the new king's of the league. "The Halloween Game" became an arrogant, smug reference for every Steelers fan leading up to the rematch, and even after getting beaten down, it was continued to be referenced for years later as the blueprint to beat "soft" Brady. In reality, the Patriots often had the more physical teams in the trenches, but their intellectual edge was leaps and bounds ahead, as they adapted while the Steelers stubbornly refused to adapt.

But the best part is that the heavy blitzing, zone concepts, power running, and a playbook with about five plays, became the Steelers recipe going forward again and again, and we even see it at times today. Even as these concepts proved to be relics in today's NFL, the Steelers continued with them, particularly the defense, having some success against some teams but certainly not the Patriots. They did win two Super Bowls, but that was more the result of some incredible defensive talent, not scheme. Last night's game shows the Steelers have moved on in many ways, especially on offense, but their are still LeBeau's fingerprints all over that defense.

I don't know about the best loss in history but I view this year's loss at home to the Seahawks as a positive one. The defense really turned things around after getting completely torched. Also, we wouldn't have to wonder if we could've gone undefeated if it wasn't for the BS suspension being that the only other loss came when Brissett was the starter against an underwhelming Bills team.

Our best loss was 01 against the Rams. We don't win the Superbowl without it.

And the steelers win 2 SBS. Every franchise besides ours right now would call that a great run.

2007 SB against the Giants. We were going for perfection, and a fluky catch totally crushed our dreams and ripped out our souls. People won't even mention the name anymore. Just a total crushing, devastating defeat.

"Best loss" (in retrospect) was the 2014 Chiefs game. ****ing brutal but ever since that night they are an incredible 42-9.

One loss was without Brady, another was a throwaway game against Buffalo. The other games? Close close losses to Seattle, Green Bay, Denver twice, the Jets and Eagles.

Those were all winnable games, some that we should have won.

That night in KC lit a fire under this teams ass. Especially Tom who was declared to be in decline as being after week four of 2014. He has kicked this leagues ass for three straight seasons, enroute to two Super Bowls in three years (sound familiar?).

The Rams game in 01. If we hadn't played them during the season, maybe we don't win that SB. So I will say a "good" loss. ( Similar to Giants playing their starters and gaining confidence in the 07 finale).

KC loss is obvious. Will also say the Buffalo loss in 03.

Game 2 in 2001 against the Jets...

thedrop_molewis_470x264.gif

Please allow me to end this debate.

6a0115709f071f970b015391d2c79c970b.jpe

"Best loss" (in retrospect) was the 2014 Chiefs game. ****ing brutal but ever since that night they are an incredible 42-9.

One loss was without Brady, another was a throwaway game against Buffalo. The other games? Close close losses to Seattle, Green Bay, Denver twice, the Jets and Eagles.

That night in KC lit a fire under this teams ass. Especially Tom who was declared to be in decline as being after week four of 2014. He has kicked this leagues ass for three straight seasons, enroute to two Super Bowls in three years (sound familiar?).

That Eagles game was not close...

Best loss in Patriots history was against the Eagles in week 15 of the 1999 season. Dropped the team to 7-7 but most importantly, eliminated them from playoff contention. Thus that game sealed Pete Carroll's fate and opened the door to Belichick's hire.

• I agree with the Jets game but also the 2001 game with the Dolphins is a close 2nd. After losing 30 to 10 Belichick buries the ball.

same one i was gonna call out

other options of Brady's first game and Pete's sealing fate good options but further back

Being blown out in Kansas City Week 4, 2014?

"We're onto Cincinnati!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore