Best and Most Important Off-season Additions for the Patriots Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Best and Most Important Off-season Additions for the Patriots Defense

Steve Balestrieri

So how did the team address these deficiencies' It is important to note that the Patriots consider free agency and the draft inexorably linked. They use their draft capital for veteran players as the feeling is, their quality is a more known value than a

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

So who is the most important off-season addition in 2018? Adrian Clayborn.

Clayborn checks the block for two of the most important areas that need to be addressed. Setting the edge and getting after the quarterback. ...

After an offseason of losing Jabaal Sheard and Chris Long to free agency, Rob Ninkovich to retirement and Dont’a Hightower, top 2017 draft choice Derek Rivers as well as rookie Harvey Langi on IR last year, they were notoriously thin at the position.

The most important off-season addition to the defense may turn out to be Shelton. If he plays like I believe he can in the role that he'll likely be assigned, there may be very few RBs making runs up the gut while retaining all their limbs.

In a plot twist, that may make edge-setters like Clayborn even more important.

Either way, stopping the run is key to making everything else work.

The most important off-season addition to the defense may turn out to be Shelton. If he plays like I believe he can in the role that he'll likely be assigned, there may be very few RBs making runs up the gut while retaining all their limbs.

Agree because Shelton will make RB's bounce to the outside. If Clayborn is as good as advertised against the run and can provide some pressure, it will be a good signing. I'd be shocked if he duplicated his sack total from last year.

Agree because Shelton will make RB's bounce to the outside. If Clayborn is as good as advertised against the run and can provide some pressure, it will be a good signing. I'd be shocked if he duplicated his sack total from last year.
Would be a bit surprised if he matches his sack total too, but not concerned if he doesn’t. A season of 6-8 sacks, stout run D, and heady play similar to the ideals of a Belichick DE would be more impactful than the shiny sack total from last season.

Shelton and Clayborn seem like they could be absolute loads to deal with. Love the trickle down effect this could have elsewhere on freeing up Flowers, Wise, and the LBs

I love the optimism coming into every new season......and then reality hits....injuries, subpar performances, etc.......

I'm a glass half full guy.....13-3 and a Lombardi with this current band of brothers ! :cool:

I love the optimism coming into every new season......and then reality hits....injuries, subpar performances, etc.......

I'm a glass half full guy.....13-3 and a Lombardi with this current band of brothers ! :cool:

Well, even when injuries happen we go 12-4 and get bounced in Denver.

Bingo

Crazy how Shelton was the 1st NT taken in the same draft that NE settled for Malcomb Brown. BB winds up getting the best NT in that draft after all.

Control the middle and force the RBs outside east to west. Then, set the edge and let the LBs clean up. Take away the run and force the other team to become 1 dimensional Running the ball is relatively safe, but the ball in the air has its perils for mistakes.

is the superbowl in Denver this year? Or do you think that kace keenum is going to drag that broncos offense to the AFFCG with home field advantage??

Well, if it weren't for the fact that it seems like everybody in the AFC West is likely to go 8-8 (or less) this season, so the Division Championship and the playoff spot that goes with it are up for grabs, I'd say that there's a slim chance that Denver even sniffs the post season, much less hosts a game against the Pats.

is the superbowl in Denver this year? Or do you think that kace keenum is going to drag that broncos offense to the AFFCG with home field advantage??

I was just alluding to the fact that 2013 and 2015 had very similar outcomes to one another, and that even when we're injured we make the AFCCG.

The most important addition to the defense will be the subtractions of GeeNo Gruesome, Elandon Waivers & Glitch Richards before Opening Day.

GeeNo Gruesome...

uncomfortable-laugh.gif

Bingo

Crazy how Shelton was the 1st NT taken in the same draft that NE settled for Malcomb Brown. BB winds up getting the best NT in that draft after all.

Control the middle and force the RBs outside east to west. Then, set the edge and let the LBs clean up. Take away the run and force the other team to become 1 dimensional Running the ball is relatively safe, but the ball in the air has its perils for mistakes.
You sure hate Malcolm Brown don't you? Serious question: Would you cut him?

I actually keep forgetting about Clayborn. Excited to see what he can do.

Let's not forget about Jason McCourty. His chemistry with his twin brother would make us some miraculous things. Seriously, I like him a lot. I do not expect him to be a superstar but I strongly believe he will provide us a solid contribution opposite Gilmore as our CB2. Communication in the secondary, proper tackling and stop running seem to be priority to our defense in an upcoming season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes