PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bengals' Vontaze Burfict facing 5-game suspension

FortressX

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The guy is a piece of smelly poop, but the hit was legal.

Really? Is it legal to blast a guy coming across the field as an eligible receiver as the ball is leaving the QB's hand?

After rewatching some Gronk highlights the other night, a game against the Bengals stood out because Burfict and the Cincy DB's were really trying to get under Gronk's skin. How they were trying to bring him down was obviously annoying him, and when he talked trash to them, Burfict was right in his facemask. Recalling that memory - wouldn't bother me in the least for Burfict to not see much of the field.

Really? Is it legal to blast a guy coming across the field as an eligible receiver as the ball is leaving the QB's hand?
Within 5 yards, that's legal. I could be wrong, but it didnt even draw a flag.

actually, no it isnt. The receiver hit was not in on the play.

At best it's illegal contact, really that is textbook unnecessary roughness from a known piece of s**t.

5 yd contact <> randomly blowing up unsuspecting receivers full force. It allows for chucking.

actually, no it isnt. The receiver hit was not in on the play.

At best it's illegal contact, really that is textbook unnecessary roughness from a known piece of s**t.

5 yd contact <> randomly blowing up unsuspecting receivers full force. It allows for chucking.
This is where I think the NFL is going berserk.
A guy runs a pass pattern. Part of the way to defend him is to hit him.
As a football player if you hit someone you should hit them as hard as you can otherwise you aren't giving 100%.
The fact that burfict carried out his assignment and the QB threw the ball elsewhere does not make it dirty. Football involved hitting.

If he hit him in the head it's dirty. A clean hit is not dirty because the guy wasn't looking. That is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
The intent of it is clear watching the video.

Anyone got footage of the hit?

You can tell he's been down this road before when the suspension is 5 games for something most players just get fined for.

You can tell he's been down this road before when the suspension is 5 games for something most players just get fined for.
He is headed toward being the first NFL player suspended for a season for "illegal" hits.

The intent of it is clear watching the video.
Yes he was trying to cover the route by hitting the receiver. That is legal.

After watching the video. Looks like a legal hit to me. Pats linebackers do this all time against crossing routes. I think it's within 5 yards from the line of scrimmage.

NYJFL* keep screwing up ****. They're wrong to suspend him for 5 games. They should have done it long time ago for other dirty offenses. Just makes the NYJFL* look even more incompetent.

He is headed toward being the first NFL player suspended for a season for "illegal" hits.

What I'm wondering is how many offenses that will actually take. Surely he's gotten in trouble for this more than Josh Gordon has failed a drug test, but they ramped up the punishment for Gordon much more aggressively for him. I guess weed and liquor are much more pressing issues than trying to kill people on the field.

What I'm wondering is how many offenses that will actually take. Surely he's gotten in trouble for this more than Josh Gordon has failed a drug test, but they ramped up the punishment for Gordon much more aggressively for him. I guess weed and liquor are much more pressing issues than trying to kill people on the field.
The punishment for substance abuse is collectively bargained.
The definitions and punishments for "illegal" hits as the NFL applies it is insane.

The standard has become if you hit someone hard and/or they get injured it's illegal.
The job of a defender is to hit people hard, and getting hit hard results in injuries
I'm not defending burfict because he has made some unnecessary hits but the one we are talking about here was fine. He was doing his job. He chose to do it physically within the rules in a physical game.
If that FB were leading a sweep and the runner cut back inside but he still decleated burfict is that illegal?

Dumb move by Burfict (seems we are saying this 10x a year), how that wasn't a penalty will remain a mystery. That being said, 5 games for that ?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back