PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick to Co-Host NFL Draft on the Pat McAfee Show

It will make something that I was otherwise going to completely ignore watchable.
That's where I am. I haven't followed college football for decades and I'm never that interested in following the NYFL draft. That will change with this draft show.

When it became obvious that Bill wasn't getting a HC job this year, I immediately thought he'd be great doing something media related with the draft. I think this is going to be great.

You go where people are nice to you.

Are you going on a show with a bunch of nerds, gamblers and talking heads? Yeah, plus the nice thing and if he says something awkward or chews his words once or twice, he'll fit right in.

Just posted this in the daily article thing, but here's an interesting bit from Belichick in that interview:

"In my experience, I think we've always graded a player for really what we think they'll be in year two," explained Belichick. "What will the player be in year two? Now, year two could be halfway through his rookie year, year two could be a year and a half. It might not be year two, it might be almost year three. But there's a point where the player figures things out. He gets it. He understands professional football. He's had a chance to train, to physically develop to a point where he can be at a very high competitive point, and then what do you have?"

"And I could cite a lot of different examples, but just going back to the Giants, Phil Sims, everybody talked about what a bust he was, and he was a great, great player but he played in some tough circumstances his rookie and second year, had a couple of unfortunate injuries. But Phil's a tough guy, he was a tough player. There was no softness in him, he was as competitive as they get. But the fans were on him, 'We blew it on Phil Sims, We blew it on Mark Haynes,' there's another guy that turned out to be an All-Pro cornerback who didn't play his rookie year."

"Brady didn't play his rookie year, and we have Tom Brady. You judge Tom Brady after his first year, and you have literally nothing. We're talking about the greatest player that's ever played. Lawrence Taylor was a different story. Lawrence Taylor, from day one, impacted the team, showed he was the best player on the field, played better than everybody else and built the defense around him going forward. So it's different with different players."

"But I'd say once the player figures it out, once he's had a chance to physically develop, especially for linemen, sometimes those guys need a little bit of time, or the technique on the offensive line, in particular, is something that can take a little bit of time. Quarterback is another position. But once they figure it out, then that's when you know what you have, and it's usually not day one of his rookie year."

"I would say Lawence Taylor would be kind of the one exception to that rule. But there's not too many guys, maybe like [Stephen] Gostkowksi, a kicker. You know, could come in, Pat [McAfee], you come into kick, from day one, if the skills are at a high enough level, you can see the impact already. But a lot of the positions, it just takes a little bit more time."

Trying to wrap my head around why McAfee's show. He could be anywhere.
I kinda see it. It's a cut-off hoodie type of show. Bonus points for Boston Connor who'd have made a great team mascot.

You go where people are nice to you.

I don't think it's that simple, but certainly factors into it. I also think that McAfee is a "football" player, even tho he was a punter. Probably a list of things that made Bill say yup.

Here's the full interview of his appearance for anyone interested:

Good stuff. Now I have to decide between going to the Patriots Draft Party or staying home to listen to Bill all night.

I really enjoyed the part with Pacman. I can only imagine how much crap he gave the punter for not kicking out of bounds. Lol.

Just posted this in the daily article thing, but here's an interesting bit from Belichick in that interview:

"In my experience, I think we've always graded a player for really what we think they'll be in year two," explained Belichick. "What will the player be in year two? Now, year two could be halfway through his rookie year, year two could be a year and a half. It might not be year two, it might be almost year three. But there's a point where the player figures things out. He gets it. He understands professional football. He's had a chance to train, to physically develop to a point where he can be at a very high competitive point, and then what do you have?"

"And I could cite a lot of different examples, but just going back to the Giants, Phil Sims, everybody talked about what a bust he was, and he was a great, great player but he played in some tough circumstances his rookie and second year, had a couple of unfortunate injuries. But Phil's a tough guy, he was a tough player. There was no softness in him, he was as competitive as they get. But the fans were on him, 'We blew it on Phil Sims, We blew it on Mark Haynes,' there's another guy that turned out to be an All-Pro cornerback who didn't play his rookie year."

"Brady didn't play his rookie year, and we have Tom Brady. You judge Tom Brady after his first year, and you have literally nothing. We're talking about the greatest player that's ever played. Lawrence Taylor was a different story. Lawrence Taylor, from day one, impacted the team, showed he was the best player on the field, played better than everybody else and built the defense around him going forward. So it's different with different players."

"But I'd say once the player figures it out, once he's had a chance to physically develop, especially for linemen, sometimes those guys need a little bit of time, or the technique on the offensive line, in particular, is something that can take a little bit of time. Quarterback is another position. But once they figure it out, then that's when you know what you have, and it's usually not day one of his rookie year."

"I would say Lawence Taylor would be kind of the one exception to that rule. But there's not too many guys, maybe like [Stephen] Gostkowksi, a kicker. You know, could come in, Pat [McAfee], you come into kick, from day one, if the skills are at a high enough level, you can see the impact already. But a lot of the positions, it just takes a little bit more time."
I love this quote, and it explains a lot of what we saw from Belichick. People used to say, “Belichick puts players in the best position for them to succeed.” That was never true. He put *veterans* in the best position to succeed - where he knew what they could do. Younger players he didn’t do that with, because it was still a projection and he was hoping guys would learn. Some did, some didn’t.

Patrick Chung is the most obvious example, where in the first stint he was trying to grow his skills to be a great all-around safety, but by the 2nd stint he knew it was clear he could never be that but knew he was awesome close to the line so played him there almost exclusively. Sometimes it worked out too — many people were clamoring for Marcus Cannon and even Matt Light to play guard from day one, but he stuck with them and they turned out to be very good tackles. If he had put them in the best position to succeed from day one, they would never have played tackle.

Hopefully Belichick won't go off on non-sports conversations like McAfee's former BFF, Aaron Rodgers.
subject 1: lacrosse
subject 2: navy

Great info here.

I'm sure we could go back and look at players Bill has drafted and see what he's talking about, but more recently we can look at Barmore. Last year he seemed to really figure it out.

Good stuff. Now I have to decide between going to the Patriots Draft Party or staying home to listen to Bill all night.

I really enjoyed the part with Pacman. I can only imagine how much crap he gave the punter for not kicking out of bounds. Lol.
No contest for me, I live in the middle of nowhere so no draft parties close enough to tempt me.

I loved that bit with Pacman, one of the best examples of how Bill has an immense trove of firsthand experiences to illustrate his comments. Like when he was talking about grading players based on where they’d be in year two and then cited LT as an exception. Or talking about draft trades and how they got Vince and High and Chandler and Mankins. Lots of accumulated knowledge.

I’m not sure I believe Pat’s description of how the pre-draft show concept evolved, but I think that might turn out to be the best part of the night. I thought the way Bill answered the question about whether teams base draft strategy on their divisional competitors was great, breaking down all the factors including team chemistry, salary cap planning, everything that goes into it. If he consistently does that, educating everyone based on his experience, it will be a tremendous benefit to us all. If he does it wouldn’t surprise me if he turns into the next John Madden (jk).

Most of all, I loved his cabinet of bling. Even though I failed to recognize the Emmy.

It's not just going to be your usual analysis the McAfee draft show is pure comedy too lol

Some highlights from past years

Do we know that he has charisma?

Will be interesting to watch to see his thought process during the draft though. Wonder how much talk will be about actual skill of players as I would assume he would not have a lot of that given he was not involved in draft prep this year. Or maybe he will know more because he has had a lot of time to watch college tape?
Heck maybe he’s been involved in grading the last few years so he might have some insight? The man bleeds football nerd charisma. Obviously could be disappointed if you are expecting “ The View” type charisma

We should set up a Bingo card for his favorite phrases. "Had a lot of production in college." "Played in a good program." "Great value for where he was picked."
Knew his grandfather when he played at Navy.
His uncle was a Cadet at Army in ‘72… I’m hoping he will have goofy anecdotes.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back