PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick: Defensive airwaves clear

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Belichick: Defensive airwaves clear - The Boston Globe

Some took that as a shot at departed linebacker Mike Vrabel, who wore the green dot last season, signifying he had the defensive player-to-coach communication system in his helmet.

When reached for comment and asked if there were communication issues last year, Vrabel said, “You’ll have to ask Bill if he was referring to the helmet communication or the guy with the headset. I don’t know.’’

After a request for clarification, Belichick went on WEEI for his weekly chat and elaborated.

“We really had some problems last year,’’ Belichick said. “Miami, Pittsburgh, and San Diego were games where we got fouled up and gave up big plays. I’m not saying it was any one guy, but communication hasn’t really been a problem this year.’’

According to a team source, there were a few games last season when defensive communication issues hurt the Patriots, but those were in the secondary and not related to anything with Vrabel.

Vrabel, who was traded to the Chiefs during the offseason, said there sometimes was a delay in the play being relayed in from the sideline.

“A lot of times when you’re trying to use the system and the defensive coordinator is waiting for the call from the head coach the call tended to get in a little late, you know, when you’re waiting on Bill to decide whether to blitz or not,’’ Vrabel said. “I don’t know if that’s what he was referring to or not.’’
who is the "some" here ? the media themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back