PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick: "Cam is in the building more than any other player on the team"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
High praise from the best coach in history:

“Cam does a great job of connecting with everybody, whether it’s his teammates, his receivers, guys on defense, other people in the organization,” Belichick said. “I think the captain voting — not that that’s the final determination of leadership — but I think the fact that he has been here a pretty short amount of time and earned that type of respect and support from his teammates is pretty impressive.

“But I think it’s across the board — it’s the offensive line, it’s the receivers, it’s all the offensive players and coaches. And it extends into other areas, as well — special teams and defense and other people in the organization. I think we’ve all seen that, and it’s impressive. It’s impressive.

“He’s here a lot. He’s in the building, and he’s visible. He’s in sight, and he’s connecting with people as much as any player. He’s in the building more than any player on the team, but he spends a lot of time talking and connecting and building relationships with those people. He has tremendous leadership. It’s very impressive.”

Last edited:
I see a franchise tag in the near future.

Did he include any non-tag language in his deal? If I were him, I wouldn't have wanted to take a one-year, prove-it type contract, with the potential to lock myself in a corner for the following year. Curious if some of our contract gurus know the answer.

The way he's playing, I'd be happy to see him here long term. Four years, $150M would put him in the top three on a per year basis, but I wouldn't be surprised if it looks like a bargain by the end of the contract. That's just the going rate for QBs now from what I can tell.

That's good to hear. I want him to learn the offense as fast as possible. I believe we have a real shot at a higher seed if he plays well.

Did he include any non-tag language in his deal? If I were him, I wouldn't have wanted to take a one-year, prove-it type contract, with the potential to lock myself in a corner for the following year. Curious if some of our contract gurus know the answer.

The way he's playing, I'd be happy to see him here long term. Four years, $150M would put him in the top three on a per year basis, but I wouldn't be surprised if it looks like a bargain by the end of the contract. That's just the going rate for QBs now from what I can tell.

I don't believe any tag stipulations exist.........Newton was probably thinking that if he gets tagged, this is the place to be tagged and that everyone is very happy with the result if he indeed justifies being tagged. Cam probably believes that he's not playing until 40 and that's he's probably in it until 35 tops. time enough for one more big deal

Reality vs. Narratives

How many of the “narratives” about Cam did people believe until getting an up close view of who he really is?
What narrative? I just always had him pegged as someone who celebrates too much and is attention needy. That's a pretty mild narrative in my opinion. What do you think the narrative was about him in CAR?

What narrative? I just always had him pegged as someone who celebrates too much and is attention needy. That's a pretty mild narrative in my opinion. What do you think the narrative was about him in CAR?

Well. We can start with the “narrative” you just laid out. Why were his “celebrations” an issue. Especially when he was giving the balls to kids after doing it. Anyone else would have been praised to the max. But with Cam it was an attention grab. When an entire DEFENSE does it, that’s OK. When Aaron Rodgers does it, he gets commercials. When Cam does it, he’s being selfish. How could someone like that be a good leader?

We can just post the thread from March on here that everyone gave their opinions on him coming here because Carolina was letting him go. Then tell me there were no baseless “narratives” about him.

Well. We can start with the “narrative” you just laid out. Why were his “celebrations” an issue. Especially when he was giving the balls to kids after doing it. Anyone else would have been praised to the max. But with Cam it was an attention grab. When an entire DEFENSE does it, that’s OK. When Aaron Rodgers does it, he gets commercials. When Cam does it, he’s being selfish. How could someone like that be a good leader?

We can just post the thread from March on here that everyone gave their opinions on him coming here because Carolina was letting him go. Then tell me there were no baseless “narratives” about him.
Uhh because he did the hokey pokie and the macarena after every single first down. It's ok if you just wanna come out and say we're racist

Uhh because he did the hokey pokie and the macarena after every single first down. It's ok if you just wanna come out and say we're racist

And what did these dances mean to you. How did it affect his ability to lead a team or play QB. Do you still feel the exact same way about him now as you did then?

And that is the absolute last thing I would call anyone. But if you feel so insecure that you felt you needed to go there, that’s on you.

And what did these dances mean to you. How did it affect his ability to lead a team or play QB. Do you still feel the exact same way about him now as you did then?

And that is the absolute last thing I would call anyone. But if you feel so insecure that you felt you needed to go there, that’s on you.
The celebrations had 0 meaning on his skill and leadership to me, and maybe I give people too much credit but I highly doubt they had any impact on people's opinion of his leadership and skill. Maybe the sulking after the Super Bowl and backing off from the fumble after being ****y and celebratory most of his career gave people a bad impression. It seems fair to me.

And you know exactly what you were inferring when you brought it up and compared him to Rodgers. Don't try to act like you weren't suggesting it was related to skin color

ETA: Hey @Ian I know we were bad boys with the C word in that one GDT but could we uncensor the c-o-c-k word when calling someone arrogant

A tag would be a heck of a pay hike. Right now the season is going better for cam than he probably dared hope in the off-season. Doing well enough to get tagged was probably considered success when seen from the perspective of 3 weeks ago

I believe he was well liked by the Carolina fans. Panthers where known as Cams team for almost 10 years. I think Cam’s Superbowl interview left a lot for the national media to pick at and create a negative narrative.

I do not think BB is going to give any QB a 4year $150M contract.

Being a great leader does not mean his shoulder will hold out. I think BB might franchise tag him to figure out what he is going to do long-term at the QB position, but I think all of the praise indicates BB is going in another direction long-term. Cam signed a low low offer, and BB wants him to be pliable if the franchise tag is applied, so BB is effusive about leadership in exchange for cooperation/a positive attitude. I am sure Cam is a great leader and endeared by his teammates, and probably is a great signing at $25M+ going forward, but I think all the praise is atypical of BB and means Cam is not the long-term option. Cam is a top shelf NFL QB and will get his next contract - but I doubt it will be in NE.

Also I thought I read Cam's wife and kids are not in New England which means he has a lot of time to be at the facility.

The celebrations had 0 meaning on his skill and leadership to me, and maybe I give people too much credit but I highly doubt they had any impact on people's opinion of his leadership and skill. Maybe the sulking after the Super Bowl and backing off from the fumble after being ****y and celebratory most of his career gave people a bad impression. It seems fair to me.

And you know exactly what you were inferring when you brought it up and compared him to Rodgers. Don't try to act like you weren't suggesting it was related to skin color

ETA: Hey @Ian I know we were bad boys with the C word in that one GDT but could we uncensor the c-o-c-k word when calling someone arrogant

It meant nothing but it was your first thought in this discussion. And even just judging him off the SB stuff has shown to be false. Didn’t say that there were no reason to think that way. But people see what they want to see. Judging a QB who has sacrificed his body for the good of the team more than any QB maybe....ever.....by one play wasn’t fair. But he brought that on himself.

And I’m sorry you can’t let go of your racial stance. Rodgers did the exact same thing(champ belt-discount double check) as Cam(Superman). That’s the comparison. Your insecurity turned it into something I never intended at all.

Bottom line.....is your opinion of Cam as a player and a leader the same as it was 6 months ago?

This is a great sign. Hope it stays this way. The contract negotiations will be interesting. In this league, someone like Cam should be getting $25m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes