PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick’s Long Term Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one loves Hoyer, and success with Cassel looked like missing the playoffs with an easy schedule and the greatest offense of all-time.

Generally speaking you need great quarterback play to win in the NFL. Cassels and Hoyers, as we've seen on every team that tried to use them as starters after they left the Patriots, ain't gonna get you ****.
Face it, there are very few QBs that consistently give you great play in the NFL. There are many who may give you great play for a game or a season, but not year after year. Except TB12.

There are a whole bunch of reasons for that. Coaching must be a big one. O line play must be another. Overall team quality, WRs etc another.

So I think it’s unrealistic to evaluate QBs purely on their W/L stats with other teams. How would Cassel and Hoyer have looked as starters for the Pats? Having Belichick coaching them, playing behind an O line coached by Dante?

Also keep in mind that Brady has five seasons with records of 11-5 or worse, and made the playoffs four out of those five seasons. So Cassel not making the playoffs is not as much his fault as it is simple bad luck.

I respect you for sticking with your team.
I have NO respect for people that ignore their local team and jump on some winning teams bandwagon.
I've been a Patriots fan since they began.
I've endured a 1-15 season and aluminum benches when it was 20'.
I'm from Boston but moved down south in 1991-Pats were the worst team in the NFL that year.
But I've never wavered.
The Brady/BB era is sweeter for me than it is for all the Patriots fans millenials- because I stuck with them through hard times.
All it takes is a good owner. Jags have had some success. Hang in there, your time will come. I just hope not in my lifetime.

The first football game I remember watching as a kid was the 1985 Superbowl against the Bears.. they got demolished but they picked up a fan for life!

Reactions: Ian
The Kraft Family has secretly agreed to indefinitely fund the storage and revitalization of Bill Belichick's cryogenically frozen body with the organization's goal to reunite Bill with the 27 time Super Bowl Champion Tom Brady who refuses to retire. During Coach Belichick's absence, the selfless Brady will assume interim head coach responsibilities until Bill thaws completely.

lets try and keep the cryogenics jokes to a minimum, lets hope BB head stays attached

I could never leave my Jags. I would only renounce my fandom should they leave Jacksonville, which is still very unlikely at this point.
Do you possess Cat like quickness?

Belichick will never “thaw completely”. That would be like a jaguar changing its spots.
Just fixed it in honor of our guest.

Belichick will never “thaw completely”. That would be like a jaguar changing its spots.

A Cat of a different color so to speak...

You can't help where you are born and the team you grew up with.

I'm sure there are a number of fans in my generation (Gen X) who started following the NEP during the lows of the early 80s, the highs of the mid-80s, the lows again thru the early 90s till now who would have rather been die hard 49ers fans.

The Jags have good ownership and Coach Coughlin leading the org. You'll get there. Just need a QB.
They also went 14-2 one year, which though we are spoiled here, is a very rare record since the 16 game schedule.

They also went 14-2 one year, which though we are spoiled here, is a very rare record since the 16 game schedule.
Yep. 1999 and crapped their pants at home vs the Titans in the AFCCG

As to Bill's longevity, the biggest factor in him staying is how much he enjoys doing the job. Clearly at this point, he does. As a fan who regularly goes to the TC practices over the years, you can see how actively he is involved in directly coaching players, from the starters to the camp fodder on both the offensive and defensive sides. He LOVES it. It's just not work to him. So as long as it feels that way to him, he will be here.

Brady is the GOAT. To think the team will be as good after he leaves is probably unrealistic. That being said, however, I don't see there being a huge drop off. My guess will be that the team will move from being elite EVERY year, to being "good" every year, and every now and then rise to being elite, much like most of the "good" teams. So instead of being in the playoffs EVERY year, 3 out of 5 will become the norm, and in those seasons we don't make the playoffs fans will have to "endure" just 8 or 9 wins.

In other words, for fans of the Pats who didn't endure the first 40 years of the team's existence, they will go from being TOTALLY spoiled, to being relatively spoiled. ;)
if the rest of the AFCE can maintain their level of incompetence the Pats could dominate the division for many more years to come.

My guess is that BB will coach for at least a few years after Brady retires. Not to prove anything but to get things resituated post Brady. I think that means a focus on building up the defense to support a rookie or young QB.

While I agree with the sentiment, note the variables: When will TB call it a career (it's soon, no way around that)? Health of either or both men forcing them to step away (BB's nearing 70 and works like 25 hours a day if reports are correct)? Simple ebbing of that ultra critical internal drive to win at all costs and/or simply can't devote the insane hours needed to be next to or at the top?

BB has nothing to prove, TB has nothing to prove. I don't buy into the "he stays to prove". However, BB staying to assist the transition? I buy that as me gut tells me BB will want to stay around football in one capacity or another. Is there anyone that can be named that eats-drinks-thinks-loves football more than BB? It's hard to see him walk away completely to golf and fish or be a gentleman farmer all the live long day....

Here’s a question: how would Matt Cassel have developed if he remained under Belichick’s tutelage instead of being traded to KC? Say Brady’s knee remains a problem and he’s forced to retire, so Cassel stays in NE as Belichick’s starter. He went 11-5 in his first year as starter, does he continue to consistently perform at that level and perhaps continue his development to be even better?

My layman’s opinion is that once Moss and Welker slowed down he would have been awful. He wasn’t good enough to be a starter.

How do you believe Flores will fare? Do you envision him being any more successful than the recent guys?

Which recent guys? Recent Miami coaches or recent former Patriots in coaching? O'Brien and Vrabel are doing fine. Patricia is still an incomplete grade.

No one loves Hoyer, and success with Cassel looked like missing the playoffs with an easy schedule and the greatest offense of all-time.

Generally speaking you need great quarterback play to win in the NFL. Cassels and Hoyers, as we've seen on every team that tried to use them as starters after they left the Patriots, ain't gonna get you ****.

Clearly the Patriots have traits they value and Hoyer possesses enough of them for a roster spot and a 3 year deal as a back up. He gets a lot of praise for his added value to the teams preparation, you are mistaken, there is certainly something there.

He is not the solution but someone with an element of a cerebral approach will be more useful to them than a noodle brained stud.

You’ve looked at the teams Hoyer and Cassel have been on, there is a surprise those tenures were unsuccessful?

I really don't know where this narrative comes from that Hoyer is garbage. If he is your starter you will run into issues but as a backup he is pretty good.

Comparing Brian Hoyer's past 17 games to every other NFL QB's past 17 games

This is from 2 years ago when Shanahan signed him for the 49ers.

Again nobody is talking about Hoyer taking over as QB1 here. But given his price tag in the last 1.5 years I think it would have been challenging to find a better backup if Brady misses a few series or 1-2 games.

It's all been said by others.

Everything starts with the Ownership. Franchises that struggle often have crappy owners (Miami a good case in point, since the OP @SamusAranX raised the topic, but the Jests take the prize on that count) or micro managing owners (Snyder and Jerruh two examples). Franchises like the Steelers, Giants (as much as it hurts me to say that of those teams) and Patriots have strong, consistent management from the very top. Robert Kraft has clearly been grooming Jonathan to take over the day to day business for years.

My guess is that Belichick will hang around for another three or four years; he has a strong supporting cast in Josh, Scarnecchia, Schiano and a host of others. Brady is probably good for two or three more years...or another 18...whatever :D.

Are you asking whether they will go to nine SB's in 18 seasons again and win six in that time span? The answer is "probably not." But, if you're asking whether they will have to wait a couple of generations before winning the big game again, the answer is definitely "no."

I could never leave my Jags. I would only renounce my fandom should they leave Jacksonville, which is still very unlikely at this point.

Yeah, I think all bets are off if your team leaves the area. That almost happened to us in the early 90's.
To St.Louis, of all the ungodly places. That would've really sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe