PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Patriots teammates "didn't trust" Stidham

I can buy him not being good enough for the position but the idea that the team would become a complete debacle if he started is absurd. If that was true on any level he does not come in relief of Cam during multiple games.
Why? It’s possible that overall he was viewed as the worst option but there were several situations where they wanted to pull Cam from a blow out or were in “**** it let’s try anything more”. It’s not mutually exclusive.

The signs with Stidham were there for awhile. From going to third string, not getting the start over Hoyer vs KC, McDaniels coming out and saying he knew where Stidham was in his development, the heavy resistance even when Cam was struggling. It really feels like they just didn’t think he was the guy

I still wished they started Stidham. Let him and he team sink or swim. The Pats were going nowhere anyway. I would have rather gone 3-13 or 4-12 with Stidham than 7-9 with Cam. At least we would have a definitive answer on Stidham and a better draft pick.

I still wished they started Stidham. Let him and he team sink or swim. The Pats were going nowhere anyway. I would have rather gone 3-13 or 4-12 with Stidham than 7-9 with Cam. At least we would have a definitive answer on Stidham and a better draft pick.
I think we already have a definitive answer on Stidham

I meant if he could even be a back up who could come in for an one or two game situation.
Not if he reacts to pressure like he does.

Just not an NFL QB. Like most 4th rounders.

Pats probably wouldn’t win a single game if Stid was starting in 2020.

Pats probably wouldn’t win a single game if Stid was starting in 2020.
That would be a good thing. Then they could be drafting the QB of the future in Trevor Lawrence or one of the other two top QBs.

Part of being a fan is feeling and expressing hopefulness for the development and success of the team's young players. There's a difference between that and certainty. In these hindsight review posts, that distinction often gets lost.

Anyone who has ever played football will tell you if your team isn’t 100% “in” on your QB, you have no chance.

The entire premise of the game is 11 men working together to achieve a goal. If they don’t believe in the guy calling the shots, this isn’t going to happen.

Listen to what is coming out of Tampa, their whole attitude changed once Brady showed up, because if you are a football team, he is who you want leading you.

The fact that the Pats liked and respected Cam, shows thAt they will play better for him, especially over someone they have zero trust in. The only thing worst would be a QB that the guys actually hate, the. You are really doomed.

I know I called him Stid vicious and called him the next GOAT before he even took a snap as a joke but you never know who takes it seriously
Agreed, since my post was a joke that people took seriously. There were a handful of guys that for whatever reason had him as their binkie.

That would be a good thing. Then they could be drafting the QB of the future in Trevor Lawrence or one of the other two top QBs.
They would also be looking for a new GM and coach IMO. Belichick's job would probably not survive an 0-16 or 1-15 season.

I think we already have a definitive answer on Stidham
Maybe, but what I do know is that we don't have a better draft pick.

Remember when a significant portion of this forum was so hot to move on from Brady for this kid in 2019? Pepperidge Farms remembers.
The blind faith in Stidham never made an sense to me because it was never supported by anything he did in the real world at any point in the whole silly saga.

It was just an extension of the cult of personality around Bill Belichick - if Bill did it, it had to be part of an actual master genius plan with an amazing payoff at the end. There's still a huge gulf between "great head coach" and "infallible magic win generator."

The blind faith in Stidham never made an sense to me because it was never supported by anything he did in the real world at any point in the whole silly saga.

It was just an extension of the cult of personality around Bill Belichick - if Bill did it, it had to be part of an actual master genius plan with an amazing payoff at the end. There's still a huge gulf between "great head coach" and "infallible magic win generator."
Careful any slight towards Belichick and you'll be accused of being a troll, fan of another team.

Team Bill demands a loyalty oath.

Careful any slight towards Belichick and you'll be accused of being a troll, fan of another team.

Team Bill demands a loyalty oath.
Sure, sure.

Like Bill is clearly the GOAT coach and (except the last few years...) a top tier GM.

But clearly the immediate succession plan for Brady was uh let's call it no bueno.

"Team Stidham crowd." What BS. Virtually no one on this forum said that Stidham was the future of the Patriots. They only wanted to see him start a few games to see what he could do, as opposed to taking a dozen snaps at the end of an already lost game.
That’s my take as well. Who exactly was “ the Stidham crowd,” I mean other than Triumph who thought he was the next GOAT?

Anyone who has ever played football will tell you if your team isn’t 100% “in” on your QB, you have no chance.

The entire premise of the game is 11 men working together to achieve a goal. If they don’t believe in the guy calling the shots, this isn’t going to happen.

Listen to what is coming out of Tampa, their whole attitude changed once Brady showed up, because if you are a football team, he is who you want leading you.

The fact that the Pats liked and respected Cam, shows thAt they will play better for him, especially over someone they have zero trust in. The only thing worst would be a QB that the guys actually hate, the. You are really doomed.

this is true. A qb has to earn the respect and trust of the players on his team.

the fact that the players and coaches backed newton so strongly in 2020, tells me there is something not right with stidham.

Two things to watch for between now and training camp:

1.) if we resign newton or another veteran qb, and draft a qb does that mean the coaches have no faith in stidham?

2.) if we draft and qb or two and do not sign a veteran qb does that mean they intent to start stidham?

Stid could not beat this!

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back