PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB on Peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BB on Peppers (Today)

Truth. Who among us isn't waiting for BB's book, written It's funny how we try to interpret BB.

He doesn't say anything about a player = he wants him.

He effusively praises a player = he doesn't want him/won't get him.

He mentions the player but denies working on a trade for him = total confusion.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong in their interpretation. I just think it's hilarious how difficult to read the guy is. It's also a benefit to doing business for him.

Hey P-Jew

Don't you think that BB could occasionally be changing his approach just to mess up the people at ESPN and throughout the league? Reverse BB........Talk openly about the player you WANT........don't talk at all about a player you don't want........who knows what kind of mind fu(k our brilliant coach is working up next.......

I think actually JT's best days of being a "beast" are behind him.......however, he was beast on the dance floor....almost won!

2007 was a Great year for him........unreal.....but I just don't know if his heart is still in the game.....or in hollywood.....fair statement isn't it?.....thanks....

Some of you either never invested in a genuine Belichick to English decoder device or you are just hearing what you want to here.

Thank you. Now I only realize I knew less than before , which was'nt much, most of which come to find out is'nt true.

I think this part of the interview was most telling --- if you just read between the lines a little:

I -- on early -- he would or. Offers -- foundation and a friend and you know it's on the play up there and you know well it is mutual you know that don't wear all Latin. And many. -- spent the crowd what that we erase a lot of money. I'd be get telecheck quite a -- kind of -- on hand and make out all of that up with you know of the matter of fact. I'll give if he -- and -- brand. If we get beat these guys appeared oh what do.

I think this part of the interview was most telling --- if you just read between the lines a little:

I -- on early -- he would or. Offers -- foundation and a friend and you know it's on the play up there and you know well it is mutual you know that don't wear all Latin. And many. -- spent the crowd what that we erase a lot of money. I'd be get telecheck quite a -- kind of -- on hand and make out all of that up with you know of the matter of fact. I'll give if he -- and -- brand. If we get beat these guys appeared oh what do.

Is that Romeo and Juliet?

Some of you either never invested in a genuine Belichick to English decoder device or you are just hearing what you want to hear....
That was a great read, Mo!

Hey P-Jew

Don't you think that BB could occasionally be changing his approach just to mess up the people at ESPN and throughout the league? Reverse BB........Talk openly about the player you WANT........don't talk at all about a player you don't want........who knows what kind of mind fu(k our brilliant coach is working up next.......

I do think that could be the case, at least partially to give him an advantage.

The BB Magic 8 Ball. Get ambiguously plausible answers to your every question. Guaranteed hours of fun! For Pats fans, anyway. Hours of anxiety and terror for everyone else!

We love you, BB!

EDIT: I asked "Peppers to NE?" Answer: Outlook not so good. :( :D

Last edited:

"I work for the Patriots, I have no loyalty to anybody or any team other than the New England Patriots. Everything I do is for our team to win and be successful. And that's what my commitment is."

I love Billlll !!!!!!!!!!!

you girls could really teach a few of the gloomy Gus's on this board a lesson in being a real fan

The BB Magic 8 Ball. Get ambiguously plausible answers to your every question. Guaranteed hours of fun! For Pats fans, anyway. Hours of anxiety and terror for everyone else!

We love you, BB!

EDIT: I asked "Peppers to NE?" Answer: Outlook not so good. :( :D

I asked "will Julius Peppers be traded to new england" and it said MAYBE!!

I got the sense that Bill will try and get Peppers. They wway he answered the questions leaves the possibility open. "You cant trade a player that is not signed"......blah blah. He was dancing around it

Last edited:
Re: Insight from BB

"But you can't trade a player that's not under contract. That's a simple rule. And I'm sure Carolina hasn't tried to do that."

Well, how can he be so sure that Carolina "hasn't tried to do that" unless he is in touch with the Peppers situation? Is there possibly some reason that he felt compelled to make it understood that Carolina "hasn't tried to do that" with anyone, and that would obviously include the Pats? Is this an error, a ruse, or a well disguised hint tossed to the wolves?

he said "I'm sure Carolina hasn't tried to do that" because anything less than "I'm sure" would imply that he thinks carolina is either breaking the rules or unscrupulous enough to break them. and that would be a pretty serious accusation.

The message to Jason Taylor seemed to be I admire you but I'm also OK with the guys I've got and the draft...which translates into holla at me soon if you seriously want to win.

BTW broader the message Bill seemed to be trying to send is you cannot trade an unsigned player. And while teams can agree to talk to suitors brought to them by the player and his agent, they would never sign a player to a tag agreeing that he didn't have to report...because they would then lose all leverage. Players who are traded who did not sign their tag routinely don't sign it until AFTER the deal has been worked out between the two teams for compensation and the agent and the receiving team on his contract... Bill said personally he would never get involved in that kind of situation, although that is essentially what he ended up being on the other end of as the Branch saga unfolded - only we were not the team persuing a player in that instance, just the one facing the reality we had to move on from him for value 'cause he really wasn't gonna show up...

Great post MLR ... thanks for that

Agree on all counts .. I think BB would take Taylor if he comes at the right price and that ends the Peppers saga. If not we go OLB in the draft.

Whatever happens here were all set and in a great position

The OP had it right. You guys don't know your BB pressers.

LMAO. If BB really likes a player, he will ALWAYS talk them up, regardless of whether he's working on trading for them or not.

Also, this was an interview, not a presser. :rolleyes:

Re: Insight from BB

he said "I'm sure Carolina hasn't tried to do that" because anything less than "I'm sure" would imply that he thinks carolina is either breaking the rules or unscrupulous enough to break them. and that would be a pretty serious accusation.

What I find interesting about the statement is that there was no implication or suggestion of improprieties on Carolina's part in the question. His sentence came right out of the blue as if BB felt a need to make sure this was understood. From what I've seen in the past he has stayed pretty detached from commenting on the business practices of other teams and is not known for making suppositions. If there had been no contact between the Pats and Pepper's agent, it seems a bit out of his standard MO. That's all folks.

For those that missed the interview - or just want to listen again - it's now available on weei.com

Bill Belichick, HC, NEP on WEEI

Players who are traded who did not sign their tag routinely don't sign it until AFTER the deal has been worked out between the two teams for compensation and the agent and the receiving team on his contract... Bill said personally he would never get involved in that kind of situation, although that is essentially what he ended up being on the other end of as the Branch saga unfolded - only we were not the team persuing a player in that instance, just the one facing the reality we had to move on from him for value 'cause he really wasn't gonna show up...

Branch's situation was not even close to similar, he had another year under contract for the Pats for 1mill and wanted more money. BB gave his agent permission to talk to other teams to work out a deal.

I came away with the impression we'll have JT for a year, but like a couple posters said, we hear what we want to hear, or hear what we think we hear, or something like that..good ol BB

Outstanding post, but one thing needs to be clarified.

As for Peppers, Bill said HE has not had any contact with him or his agent. (Obviously he is not speaking for Floyd...). I'm sure Floyd has heard from Peppers agent. Lots of teams FO personnel probably have. But short of signing him to a tender for 2 firsts (which obviously they have no interest in doing for a 1 year player if any player) there is nothing NE or any team could do at this point.

To be clear, in the "grab the player without trading for him" approach, a team would not sign Pepper to a tender, but rather to an offer sheet, which presumably would be a multi-year contract, which the Panthers would then have the opportunity to match. No team in their right minds would fork over two firsts for a player they'd only have for one year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents