PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB: Maybe I will coach past 70

Status
Not open for further replies.
being able to have his son coach for him at a high level and develop Steve into the best coach he can make him has to be one of the things keeping him going.

Steve Belichick is one of the best kept secrets of this franchise. His work in the secondary this year has been otherworldly, and the rumors are flying that he might actually be the one making all the calls on D.

Honestly curious if other teams have tried to hire Steve away. That might be part of the reason Bill is holding the DC spot open

Belichick coaching past 70?

I just got a chubby.

2009...gawd

That year must have sucked the life out of him. No wonder he was thinking of bailing

A 10-6 record in the NFL isn't that bad. I guess in Patriots land it is. But still.

A 10-6 record in the NFL isn't that bad. I guess in Patriots land it is. But still.
There was a lot more to that year than the record.

being able to have his son coach for him at a high level and develop Steve into the best coach he can make him has to be one of the things keeping him going.

Steve Belichick is one of the best kept secrets of this franchise. His work in the secondary this year has been otherworldly, and the rumors are flying that he might actually be the one making all the calls on D.

Honestly curious if other teams have tried to hire Steve away. That might be part of the reason Bill is holding the DC spot open
No way in hell he leaves his father.

No way in hell he leaves his father.
I don't see why not. Just speaking generally, if your son worked for another company in the same industry and excelled in his field wouldn't you be proud of him?

I mean if Steve god offered millions to coach another NFL franchise, I doubt Bill gets in his way, and I doubt Steve turns it down. The only thing BB might do is make his son a better offer.

There's a couple really good situations potentially coming up if I'm remembering correctly too. The Steelers for one. I really doubt they keep Tomlin in harness, so the job is potentially wide open, and that's a position with tons of job security as long as you're at least adequate at your job and get along with the Rooneys.

Another thing to bear in mind though is that Bill might not retire per se -- he might kick himself upstairs to the GM position and turn the head coaching post over to someone else while he focuses on drafting and roster construction. Leaving the coaching aside for the moment Bill Belichick is one of the best GMs in football, and his body is likely to fail him before his brain does.

Just saying, it's a possibility. We might wind up with Bill the GM and Steve the Head Coach. I've been speculating for years that that might be what Bill has in mind as an exit strategy.

I don't see why not. Just speaking generally, if your son worked for another company in the same industry and excelled in his field wouldn't you be proud of him?

I mean if Steve god offered millions to coach another NFL franchise, I doubt Bill gets in his way, and I doubt Steve turns it down. The only thing BB might do is make his son a better offer.

There's a couple really good situations potentially coming up if I'm remembering correctly too. The Steelers for one. I really doubt they keep Tomlin in harness, so the job is potentially wide open, and that's a position with tons of job security as long as you're at least adequate at your job and get along with the Rooneys.
I think there is a bond there.

Can he leave? Sure. I just don't think he will.

Wouldn't it be Steve's choice? Now I do not know the dynamic between BB and Steve, but if I had the chance to work with my dad like that, I would not want to leave.

Also, I think Bill does this every time a coordinator moves on. He leaves the spot officially open even if a coach is filling that role internally. I read a article that suggested it might be to insulate them from the media a bit.

Another thing to bear in mind though is that Bill might not retire per se -- he might kick himself upstairs to the GM position and turn the head coaching post over to someone else while he focuses on drafting and roster construction. Leaving the coaching aside for the moment Bill Belichick is one of the best GMs in football.

o_O Agree to disagree

Best coach of all time, but please let someone else handle the drafting coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes