Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is your draft grade for the Cole Strange Pick in Round 1?

• A

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • B

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • C

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • D

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • F

Votes: 14 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yep... Meanwhile, DE George Karlaftis was 3rd among all rookies in sacks with 6.0, after Aiden Hutchinson & James Houston, taken 2nd & 217th overall respectively, both by Detroit, with Houston being the biggest surprise of them all considering his size.
And even with the Patriots maniacally managing Judson’s snaps, he still did his second half fade.

This is a two-season trend. Not good.

We needed help at DE or CB in the first last year. Instead we got a third-rounder who could win America Ninja Warrior in the first. And a fast twig WR in the second.

File under Confidence Not Inspired

You have to love Strange's attitude and athleticism. Let's see how he does in Y2 with some physical training and technique training. I think he is going to be good. Very tough to jump from D2 to starting in the NFL and he did it (with a few bumps but that was expected).

Don't mind Capt. He still has his panties in a wad over the Pats taking Dugger instead of Winfield Jr. Winfield's trajectory has been trending down while Dugger just keeps getting better and better. He continues to remind me of a young Rodney Harrison.

And even with the Patriots maniacally managing Judson’s snaps, he still did his second half fade.

This is a two-season trend. Not good.

We needed help at DE or CB in the first last year. Instead we got a third-rounder who could win America Ninja Warrior in the first. And a fast twig WR in the second.

File under Confidence Not Inspired

You mean because Judon faced good O-lines that focused on neutralizing him? Teams like the Bills (x2), Min, and Miami? How many sacks did the TEAM get over that time? 20. How many did they get LAST year at the time? 16

Yep.. Instead of 7.5 sacks against 3 teams with horrible O-lines, he got 4 sacks against 8 teams.. Oh.. But he DID still have 13 QB Pressures compared to 15 in the first 9 games.

And why don't you over-look that Barmore didn't suit up for games 7-14.

You're assessment is what is not inspiring.

You mean because Judon faced good O-lines that focused on neutralizing him? Teams like the Bills (x2), Min, and Miami? How many sacks did the TEAM get over that time? 20. How many did they get LAST year at the time? 16

Yep.. Instead of 7.5 sacks against 3 teams with horrible O-lines, he got 4 sacks against 8 teams.. Oh.. But he DID still have 13 QB Pressures compared to 15 in the first 9 games.

And why don't you over-look that Barmore didn't suit up for games 7-14.

You're assessment is what is not inspiring.
I’m confused. So his snap counts weren’t carefully regulated? And his production trailed off?

And someone mentioned he can be relieved by Uche. Not really. Two different players.

Strange had a decent season, I think it was far better than the seasons of Kenyon Green or Zion Johnson who were picked many slots ahead of him. There are indications that he may have been taken before the Pats’ next pick, perhaps by SF or TB. He was not a failure by any means for those of us not named @FreeTedWilliams but clearly has improvements to accomplish.

So the problem is not so much with him as a player or even necessarily when they picked him, but whom they chose not to pick at either 21 or 29. With 20/20 hindsight I think it’s accurate to say they would have gotten better value by picking Karlaftis, Kaiir Elam, or Jermaine Johnson, or at 29 if they had picked Christian Watson, and even more so if they had picked Tyler Smith at 21 who would be their LT1 already (assuming the crappy OL coaching here didn’t screw him up).

Additionally with the Thornton pick I still wish they had gone with Travis Jones who I think would have helped a lot than Thornton did when Barmore was out. I am less hopeful about Thornton than I am about Strange but he also has an opportunity to improve and will likely benefit as much as any of this year’s rookies from better coaching, game planning, and play calling.

So far be it from an ignoramus like me to question their valuation system, none of the guys I mentioned above were any more certain to succeed with the Pats this year irrespective of their performance for their teams, but we saw what we saw this year and have plenty of reasons to question and be concerned with the implications of this for the upcoming roster building process.

assuming the crappy XX coaching here didn’t screw him up

This is a factor in every player on the roster, and the younger they are, the bigger the factor. Can't know from the outside looking in exactly how much for which players.

Strange had a decent season, I think it was far better than the seasons of Kenyon Green or Zion Johnson who were picked many slots ahead of him. There are indications that he may have been taken before the Pats’ next pick, perhaps by SF or TB. He was not a failure by any means for those of us not named @FreeTedWilliams but clearly has improvements to accomplish.

So the problem is not so much with him as a player or even necessarily when they picked him, but whom they chose not to pick at either 21 or 29. With 20/20 hindsight I think it’s accurate to say they would have gotten better value by picking Karlaftis, Kaiir Elam, or Jermaine Johnson, or at 29 if they had picked Christian Watson, and even more so if they had picked Tyler Smith at 21 who would be their LT1 already (assuming the crappy OL coaching here didn’t screw him up).

Additionally with the Thornton pick I still wish they had gone with Travis Jones who I think would have helped a lot than Thornton did when Barmore was out. I am less hopeful about Thornton than I am about Strange but he also has an opportunity to improve and will likely benefit as much as any of this year’s rookies from better coaching, game planning, and play calling.

So far be it from an ignoramus like me to question their valuation system, none of the guys I mentioned above were any more certain to succeed with the Pats this year irrespective of their performance for their teams, but we saw what we saw this year and have plenty of reasons to question and be concerned with the implications of this for the upcoming roster building process.

Strange ended his last few games very well. IIRC, he allowed zero pressures in those games.

And now that he's in a NFL program, he is just going to get bigger, stronger, and faster for next season.

BTW, All you claiming that Strange woulda been there in the second have been proven WRONG. Just like you all claiming that Thornton was a 4th round pick. WRONG.

When you all realize that the "Round" that these Draftniks put on a player is just a silly wild-assed guess that you should take with a grain of salt, you'll be better off for it.

4 teams with a 1st round grade on Strange.
More than half the rest had at least a 2nd round grade.. But, yeah.. the draftnicks are to be believed.. SMH..
Aged like milk.

I still think he would be a better fit at LT. Wynn should have been at LG.

I do, as well as his Ruins namesake 29... Peace & quiet...
That’s a shame. He posted a thread with his pictures in it. You can tell, just by looking at him, why he’s so angry all the time. I’d be angry, too, if God cursed me with those looks.

I still think he would be a better fit at LT. Wynn should have been at LG.

Strange69 at LT you mean? Yeah I think that's absolutely on the table if our 2023 starter there hasn't yet been either signed or drafted before OTAs... That would mean of course that we would then need to acquire our 2023 starter at Left Guard, because he ain't in the building either...

Agree about Wynn/Lose being a better pro LG than LT; and it wouldn't surprise me, at all, to see him signed for that very purpose... Not by us of course; that ship has sailed, but by another team...

Strange69 at LT you mean? Yeah I think that's absolutely on the table if our 2023 starter there hasn't yet been either signed or drafted before OTAs... That would mean of course that we would then need to acquire our 2023 starter at Left Guard, because he ain't in the building either...

Agree about Wynn/Lose being a better pro LG than LT; and it wouldn't surprise me, at all, to see him signed for that very purpose... Not by us of course; that ship has sailed, but by another team...

I doubt Strange kicks out to Tackle. He is a monster when it comes to commitment and training. He will be very good Y2. Hopefully Wynn is gone. I would cut T Brown and use that $12M in cap savings on someone else. Need a new long term LT in Round 1 or 2.

I doubt Strange kicks out to Tackle. He is a monster when it comes to commitment and training. He will be very good Y2. Hopefully Wynn is gone. I would cut T Brown and use that $12M in cap savings on someone else. Need a new long term LT in Round 1 or 2.

Yeah that's my Plan A... There is some nice depth at LT in the draft, but I don't know if I want to risk waiting until #76 before grabbing one of them either, especially if the pre-draft free agency period didn't provide one.

Yeah that's my Plan A... There is some nice depth at LT in the draft, but I don't know if I want to risk waiting until #76 before grabbing one of them either, especially if the pre-draft free agency period didn't provide one.

I am thinking we will go LT at #14, or after a slight tradedown. Interesting stuff in this podcast. Mac is the 5th highest QB from a clean pocket in 2022. Kind of shocking. So Paul Perry is saying OT is probably the plan in Round #1. Another interesting comment is that the Saints always paid highly for great guards and center because that gave Brees a clean pocket more times than not. Riddick said that OT Darnell Wright was outstanding at the Senior bowl. It might be Wright early. We might also see a center or guard we do not expect.

I am thinking we will go LT at #14, or after a slight tradedown.
Depending on how well the offseason goes, I think the FO should give serious consideration to Multiple trade-downs, as in near the end of the round serious... and with an eye toward next year's draft too; because if Mac fails to progress to Bill & BOB's satisfaction, then it might behoove them to begin stockpiling future assets to help them acquire another QB...

Interesting stuff in this podcast. Mac is the 5th highest QB from a clean pocket in 2022. Kind of shocking. So Paul Perry is saying OT is probably the plan in Round #1. Another interesting comment is that the Saints always paid highly for great guards and center because that gave Brees a clean pocket more times than not.
While the middle of the OL had its breakdowns throughout the season, I'm hoping that with New & Improved! Tackle play our protection in the middle will improve as a result of not having to cover the other guys' asses as often...

Riddick said that OT Darnell Wright was outstanding at the Senior bowl. It might be Wright early. We might also see a center or guard we do not expect.

If Bill, BOB & Yo Adrian all believe that Wright can stay at LT in the NFL, then he might become one of those prospects available later in the first round after one (or more) of those trade-downs...

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back