PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

At Pick 60: Austin Johnson/Joshua Perry/Shilique Calhoun?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who Do You Take At Pick 60?

• Austin Johnson

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Shilique Calhoun

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Joshua Perry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another (Please Specify)

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Three prospects that really interest me as potential 2nd round picks are Austin Johnson, Joshua Perry amd Shilique Calhoun.

Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State

Ideal 1-tech in a 4-3. Reminds me of Alan Branch and would be an ideal long-term Alan Branch replacement. Would likely be #5 DT this year though.

Joshua Perry, LB, Ohio State

Plus character, excellent size, excellent run defending linebacker with range. I have some questions about his ability in coverage. Likely #4 linebacker this year but could jump ahead of McClellin.

Shilique Calhoun, DE, Michigan State

Perhaps a touch undersized but he's an outstanding speed rusher for that RDE position. Outstanding ability to close to the QB once he beats the OT. However he does temd to rely on speed to beat that OT though. Would battle Flowers for #3 DE.

It's by no means a given that any of these will be there at 60 but these are three of the best that might be. Assume an OT at 61 or with a small trade back.

I really offer these three names to show the depth we have this year, and the relative lack of 'need' we have. These are three of the best possible players that could be there for us and it's possible they could be DT#5, LB #4 and DE #4 on our roster for this season. That's a great position to be in. On the other hand, depending on whether we re-sign Hightower, Collins or Sheard, all 3 could shoot up the depth chart and be a starter as early as next year.

So what's your preference?

Last edited:
It's a really tough choice for me. I went with Calhoun, not so much because I like him more than the other 3 but because pass rushing gets the edge and because of Jabaal Sheard insurance. If we don't re-sign him amd Nink after this year, our pass rush would be Tre Flowers and Grisson/Johnson. Not ideal. On the other hand,

Calhoun - Easley-Brown-Flowers

Could be a very good DL for the next 3 years plus.

Last edited:
I rely on you to judge the quality and fit of players.

As I have said before, if an EDGE rusher is available and good enough, he should be our #1 choice Ninkovich, Sheard, Long, and Collins are all in their contract years.

Jordan Howard or Kenneth Dixon

Last edited:
Pharaoh cooper.

In our offense he could be magic.

Would you take Cooper over Braxton or Shepard?

In a heartbeat. Cooper did it in the sec, with no qb or anything resembling a supporting staff. In 2015, Three scores over 70 yards in the sec? Unheard of until he did it.

He is a playmaker and we need playmakers.

In a heartbeat. Cooper did it in the sec, with no qb or anything resembling a supporting staff. In 2015, Three scores over 70 yards in the sec? Unheard of until he did it.

He is a playmaker and we need playmakers.

It's funny how people see different things. I have Miller and Shepard ranked quite a bit ahead of Cooper.

Jordan Jenkins or Xavien Howard

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What do people see in Cooper? I have serious doubts about his ability to get separation at the next level. I guess I'll have to go back and watch his tape again, but I don't get it. Of course, I've been very wrong before.

Out of the three, I'd go with Johnson. A fat ass 1-tech is needed with Knighton on a one year deal and Johnson can come in a learn while also offering quality depth. IMO, in a draft less deep at the DT position, he'd be a first rounder. I'd wait until next year to look at DE's in what should be a better draft at the position.

Looking at tape, perrys gane speed doesn't seem to jibe with combine speed

He seems to be real late in reads

I'm biased. I'd take Austin Johnson. Un-heralded recruit who busted his arse. Graduated in 3 1/2 years. What is our MO? Big, strong, tough and smart players. Seems to fit the description. If we could get Spriggs and AJ. I'd love it.

The more I look into Johnson, the more I do like him as a long term member of the DT rotation here. Realistically, I think he's a more likely target, and I'd be quite pleased with our draft if the Patriots selected him.

Still. I am impressed with Calhoun. Think he needs about an extra 10 - 20 pounds, but he's nearly 6'5 and already over 250 as it is. Looks skinny, though, and could use some weight. The athletic traits are there, though, and he reminds me a lot of Aldon Smith, who could be a hall of famer if he had his head on straight.

Looking at tape, perrys gane speed doesn't seem to jibe with combine speed

He seems to be real late in reads

Perry takes a lot of false steps, not sure he has the instincts we need.

If he were still on the board I would roll the dice and take Jaylon Smith. Given the injury is a risk but that can happen at any time to any player, e.g.. D.Fowler, J. Cooper........ Smith would have been a top five pick had he stared healthy and it has returned to form he could still end up being the best defensive player in the draft, and it would be a wonderful FU to Goodell and Co. to have them do everything in their power to keep them from getting a great player and they end up with the best defensive player in the and it they did lose Collins they would have a really talented player to replace him with.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back