PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante filed a grievance? (NEM sources)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok let's assume it's true.

What could he file a grievance on?
That's kind of the point... he has absolutely no grounds whatsoever upon which to file a grievance... so why should we assume it's true...?

The guy has been franchised. He has permission to talk to other teams but isn't finding many interested takers because of the draft picks expense (not because of the contract demands). That's about it.

Last edited:
the franchise tag is definitely going to be a topic of discussion at the next owners meeting.
Maybe... maybe... but they better be willing to make a major concession in order to get rid of the franchise player designation... plus, I think the fact is the majority of players benefit from the franchise tag. As someone in the forum once said (I wish I remembered who so I could give proper credit): 32 guys (at most) suffer so hundreds can benefit.

OK, I admit it. I called Nem :) The only grounds I can think of are if another team gave him a deal and agreed to the 2 round 1 picks and the Patriots said no. But that would have come out already.
Plus the Patriots can't "say no" to such an offer. They can't refuse 2 1st rounders for Asante, they could only choose to match the offer (which they wouldn't do).

Maybe... maybe... but they better be willing to make a major concession in order to get rid of the franchise player designation... plus, I think the fact is the majority of players benefit from the franchise tag. As someone in the forum once said (I wish I remembered who so I could give proper credit): 32 guys (at most) suffer so hundreds can benefit.

lets send that memo to asante, with a muffin basket and threats

Last edited:
I'd take that "phone call" with a grain of salt.

...make that an industrial size carton...

You think so? Hmmm - that causes me to think twice about NEM's prediction that there's no way Welker makes this team this year and will be cut.

lets send that memo to asante, with a muffin basket and threats
Well, obviously, Asante falls into the category of one of those 32 (at most) who are suffering because of the franchise tag... (ironic that being forced to accept about $8 million is being called "suffering" but I digress)... but I don't think there's much desire on the part of the union as a whole to do away with it. It doesn't affect most of the rank-and-file and, let's face it, it also doesn't affect the top level super stars of the league like Manning or Brady or Tomlinson.

According to Mike Vrabel, the owners would give up the franchise tag but only in return for free agency after 5 years instead of 4.

You're the only one who's got this right.
The players assn essentialy traded the franchise tag for ONE year less of free agency.

The 99% of players who will aren't at risk of the franchise tag will never give up that FA year to
drop the franchise tag.

This would cost the vast majority millions of dollars.

They might pay lip service to players like Asante,
however.....they're all more interested in what
Dwight Freeney got,while franchised,than what
Asante Samuel isn't getting.

Dwight Freeney is the REAL story.......

The Ramifications from his deal,will rock the NFL

for years to come.

Plus the Patriots can't "say no" to such an offer. They can't refuse 2 1st rounders for Asante, they could only choose to match the offer (which they wouldn't do).

Yeah, the Pats would only have that option. Samuel signs with another team, I am pretty sure the league office steps in to make sure either the Pats match the offer or the other team gives up the two first rounders or accepted a brokered deal between the two teams. The Pats don't have the control.

The only thing I can think of is that Samuel will claim the Pats tampered with him and either spread rumors or false information that got to other teams that would scare off other teams from offering a contract to Samuel. Even then, I really doubt the league would allow Samuel to walk.

But then again, the league is scared of an arbitrator setting a prescidence (see Deion Branch and Terrell Owens situations). Samuel could hope that they force the Pats to agree not to franchise Samuel next year or trade him to a team that would pay him what he wants for less than two first rounders. Both Branch and TO got what they wanted because the league is afraid of the arbitrator. Maybe Samuel thinks he can shoot his way out of town too.

Goodell is not Tagliabue though. He might not want to set a different prescidence that if a player doesn't like his current contract situation and file a grievance so the league will allow them to get traded to a team that will pay them.

Goodell is not Tagliabue though. He might not want to set a different prescidence that if a player doesn't like his current contract situation and file a grievance so the league will allow them to get traded to a team that will pay them.

I'd imagine the grievance would not be sent to the NFL but the Players Association. Gene Upshaw is too busy counting his money to pick up the phone and call the commissioner about it.

I'd imagine the grievance would not be sent to the NFL but the Players Association. Gene Upshaw is too busy counting his money to pick up the phone and call the commissioner about it.

Grievances are usually filed by the Players' Association on behalf of the player to the NFL.

As for Upshaw, he is only too busy counting his money to talk to old time players who are getting cheated in their pension. For a current player, he has all the time in the world.

update from the NEM:

My friend e-mailed me back. He said he heard it on the radio. on 910 Xtra Sports in Phoenix.

According to Mike Vrabel, the owners would give up the franchise tag but only in return for free agency after 5 years instead of 4.

I don't know how that would work. Remember Deion Branch? Players are ALWAYS going to want more money no matter what. Whether they think they are "disrespected" by the franchise tag or "disrespected" by playing under a contract that they think they have out performed. They will want that last year voided and a new contract essentially bringing everything around full circle and the problem remains.

The problem is the money. With enough of it out there and players believing they are going to cash in (either with their team or some other team) what's going to get them to honor their contracts? Steeper fines? Loss of their entire salary for the year? (I know if I had a milion or two, I could go without work for a year to get more money) Making them ineligible to play the following year until they play out their contract? I don't know but something has to be done.

What about changing the accrued season rule specifically for holdouts? I understand that holding out is a bargaining tool for the player, but in most cases they signed the contract that they are being disrespected by (or in Asante's case are part of the union that negotiated the team's right of franchise). If either Asante or Branch were forced to shut up and play or end up in the same mess the next year they would probably do it and get their big contracts one year later. Like I said, maybe this gives teams too much power, though.

Last edited:
Asante may very well be looking into the possibility of filing a grievance thru the NFLPA. The last two such actions against the Pats resulted in Deon Branch being traded to Seattle and Tod Sauerbrun gaining his release. No harm in trying.

Are we really discussing this given the source? Really?

It is a waste of time for him because we are following the rules with the Tag. If he cant deal with it, too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back