PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Article: The Secrets of Tom Brady's Personal Trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my 10-week checkup, I was terrified of showing him how I'd already been walking.
Ten weeks after my injury, I was making my way up the last pitch of   New Hampshire's Black Dike.​

I find it extremely interesting because I keep screwing up my fingers while climbing. Now my knee is jacked. Wish I could see this guy.

Interesting article. Thanks

That was an awesome article. Although I think another suspension for Brady is looming due to seeing a doctor that practices sorcery.

IMO a lot of what Alex Guerrero says makes sense but can not yet be fully backed up by science and neuroscience save for the results he seems to get.

Most things he says make a lot of sense to follow on the surface. I tend to be a believer in many of the claims he makes tentatively and some fairly strongly. I don't think the meditation and Mugwort or "Qi" have much to do with healing but I do think telling and training your brain and muscles over an over again "do this" has an effect. Also I believe if you wind your muscles up too tight and train them too tight we should not be surprised when they snap. Strong, loose, flexible is the way to go even if it cost you a bit of sudden burst.

Also training what you will actually do over and over again probably leads to better results and outcomes than to train for in ways that do not automatically match up with what you are doing.

Last edited:
"The Black Dike is perhaps New England's most famous ice climb."
Black Dike

I personally worry when our front steps are icy, so I'm more than happy to leave this climb to others. :)

Yep: horizontal ice offers all the excitement I'm looking for.

Very interesting, in that the article is pretty much 100% consistent with everything else we read/hear about Guerrero.

Wonder who his critics are and what they say about his techniques. He certainly seems to rely on at least a few controversial beliefs - "teach your brain to get your heel back in the game" - anti-inflammation foods, etc.

Also interesting to see that Gronk's in there training TB12 style. His game is power so much more than Edelman, Amendola and Brady - I'd imagine it was a hard sell to get him to give up heavy weight training and use resistance bands instead.

IMO a lot of what Alex Guerrero says make sense but can not yet be fully backed up by science and neuroscience save for the results he seems to get.

It most things he say make a lot of sense to follow on the surface. I tend to be a believer in many of the claims he makes tentatively and some fairly strongly. I don't think the meditation and Mugwort or "Qi" have much to do with healing but I do think telling and training your brain and muscles over an over again "do this" has an effect. Also I believe if you wind your muscles up too tight and train them too tight we should not be surprised when they snap. Strong, loose, flexible is the way to go even if it cost you a bit of sudden burst.

Also training what you will actually do over and over again probably leads to better results and outcomes than train for something else.

I'm down with most of Guerrero's non-traditional medicinal approaches, except for the time that he sold people what he said was a cure for cancer; that time, I thought he should have gone to jail.

Oh god, I hate stuff like this:
The nutrition component to Guerrero's model was the most difficult aspect of the program for me. Much of the focus is on getting the body's acidity and alkalinity in balance.

That's total BS. Perhaps the one thing your body works the hardest and best at is maintaining pH in a tight range. There's nothing you can eat or drink (in a non-pathological fashion) that will budge your pH outside a very narrow range. And even if you somehow could knock it outside that range you'd likely be in a world of hurt.

For example, your entire breathing drive is based on pH. As CO2 builds up it makes your blood slightly more acidic and your body's sensing of that is what prompts you to breathe. (It's not the lack of oxygen, it's the incrementally extra CO2 dissolved in your blood. And in fact sometimes free divers who intensely hyperventilate before diving end up dying because they run out of oxygen before their pH has dropped enough for them to feel they need to breathe.)

Last edited:
Also interesting to see that Gronk's in there training TB12 style. His game is power so much more than Edelman, Amendola and Brady - I'd imagine it was a hard sell to get him to give up heavy weight training and use resistance bands instead.
Anything that keeps him healthy and on the field sounds good by me. Secondary benefit would be shutting up all the people who say he's injure prone :)

I find it extremely interesting because I keep screwing up my fingers while climbing. Now my knee is jacked. Wish I could see this guy.

You can go to the TB12 facility and make an appointment. You'll see him or a member of his staff. Tom Curran wrote an article about his experience and said the massage, stretching, chiropractic stuff he does is legit. He felt great afterwards.

Cost was around $150 for an hr IIRC.

I'm actually thinking about doing it myself. My hoop league finished up a couple of weeks ago and every morning my shoulders feel like someone took a baseball bat to them.

I can tell you with certainty there aren't a lot of Black Dikes skiing at Cannon Mountain.

I appreciate articles like this, even if I don't fully agree with Guerrero's approach. I don't follow any of his nutrition advice at all, and I'm not big into mysticism. That said, I whole-heartedly agree with his idea of prehab and rehab. I'm quite active (former professional performer/acrobat, still do parkour, etc), and I don't follow the typical RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) protocols at all. I've had significantly better results with mobilizing as soon as possible (within reason, of course), and building strength & flexibility through a range of motion while returning from injury. Mobility work is incredibly important, and I'm glad to see that members of the Patriots are buying in to a different kind of approach to their physical well-being.

Interesting article. I believe some of the practices of Guerrero and Brady has his back based upon HIS results dealing with him. That said, Guerrero's background and track record is extremely off putting to me. It doesn't mean what he is advocating now is bad but wow. I mean Tom Cruise swears that Scientology has been great for him and who is to say it has not been.

Developer and Marketers of Supreme Greens with MSM Settle FTC Charges | Federal Trade Commission

https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/cases/2004/07/040702orderpt10233138.pdf

Tom Brady’s Personal Guru Is a Glorified Snake-Oil Salesman

Tom Brady’s Guru Was Twice Sued for Fraud

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST