PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Arron Curry (would BB make a trade up for him?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianPat'sFan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I was reading the article about Peppers coming to NE and the writer pointed out the extra money saved on the Cassel/Vrabs deal and the amount of picks we have we could make the play for Peppers.

While I have mixed emotions on Peppers especially the price I had a crazy thought. Seattle just spent some money on TJ and they were about the same position with the cap we are but not totally sure. They may be looking to trade down and not give top 5 money to a kid (everyone thought Crabtree before TJ). I wonder if BB would be able to package some of our first day picks with maybe one from next year in order to make a play for Curry before the genius in Cleavland can pick this kid up at 5. He is by far the best LB prospect in this years class and paired with Mayo for the next 5 years would be too good to be true. The fact that Mangini would miss out on his guy would be enough for me but maybe that is where BB is going to spend his money now that the big time FA have been signed.

No, if BB had wanted Curry he'd have been lobbying KC for the #3 and working the deal from that angle.

no. I cant see BB putting all those picks into 1 player. And I think it would cost more then this years #1 and next years #1. Next years #1 shoud be somewhere between 25-32. And this years #1 is 23. So thats the #23 and #25 - 32 in 2010 for a top 5! Wont happen. Would still cost the Pats at least 1 of their 2nd rounders this year and BB values his picks to much for that. If he was interested in going that high in the draft I think he would have held on to Cassel for longer and see if he could get a higher pick then what he go from KC.

No, if BB had wanted Curry he'd have been lobbying KC for the #3 and working the deal from that angle.

Well that is what I was thinking as well. People keep thinking that there will be more between BB and Pioli maybe draft day to keep Mangini in the dark.

no. I cant see BB putting all those picks into 1 player. And I think it would cost more then this years #1 and next years #1. Next years #1 shoud be somewhere between 25-32. And this years #1 is 23. So thats the #23 and #25 - 32 in 2010 for a top 5! Wont happen. Would still cost the Pats at least 1 of their 2nd rounders this year and BB values his picks to much for that. If he was interested in going that high in the draft I think he would have held on to Cassel for longer and see if he could get a higher pick then what he go from KC.

I did not think Cassel and Mike V. would go to the Chiefs for #34 in the draft either. Just throwing this out for discussion.

As much as I hate this phrase... the deal IS WHAT IT IS lol

If the Patriots had any interest in even getting into the top 20 picks they'd have pursued that in the deal for Matt Cassel. It's more likely that you'll see them trade out of the 1st round entirely for picks in 2010.

As much as I hate this phrase... the deal IS WHAT IT IS lol

If the Patriots had any interest in even getting into the top 20 picks they'd have pursued that in the deal for Matt Cassel. It's more likely that you'll see them trade out of the 1st round entirely for picks in 2010.

You may have a point here. They traded back to get Mayo even though Bengals took a LB. It was a risk, but it saved them a lot of money moving back. They probably, like most teams, do not want to be that high.

FWIW, Curry is being rumored to go #1...

I wonder if BB would be able to package some of our first day picks with maybe one from next year in order to make a play for Curry before the genius in Cleavland can pick this kid up at 5.

Given Fatty Ratty Mangini's draft position, its almost a certainty that he'll be able to draft either Curry or Raji. I'll be pissed when that happens.

FWIW, Curry is being rumored to go #1...

Sounds good, if they want to go 0-16 again. Drafting Stafford and they'll at least win a few games.

Four picks in the first two rounds means more youth and depth. I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if they trade a pick to move up.

I wonder if BB would be able to package some of our first day picks with maybe one from next year in order to make a play for Curry before the genius in Cleavland can pick this kid up at 5. He is by far the best LB prospect in this years class and paired with Mayo for the next 5 years would be too good to be true. The fact that Mangini would miss out on his guy would be enough for me but maybe that is where BB is going to spend his money now that the big time FA have been signed.

BB Would have to package ALL of the Pats 1st day picks to equal the value of a top 5 pick needed to draft Curry. And even then there's no guarantee he wouldn't be gone by the time the Pats picked. So naah, it's not gonna happen.

Well I just got back from work and well I guess I got my answer. What I was really wondering is how BB is going to sure up the OLB situation. While I know we have guys in the wings and we are in a good draft position to get guys like Maybin, Sintim and Barwin, I think we need at one more proven LB and the whole Peppers and Taylor thing is not the answer IMO. The money that would be spent on these two could go to Curry but I agree it would cost us too much (draft picks) or this would have been involved in the Cassel deal. Just a thought I had, but do agree I like our draft positions and we could improve overall by keeping those picks. BB has never traded up to a top 5 pick so the odd of this ever happening I new were next to zero.

Last edited:
I don't think Jason Taylor would cost all that much more than what Vrabel was making. There's about a half dozen OLBs in this draft that should go in that 23-34 range. I think it's almost a give that we'll take one with either pick, but then again a year ago we all thought the Pats would never take a LB on day one. lol

if it involved cassel and the pats #23 to get there, it would have been reasonable......

now its just too many prospects to give up to pay a rookie defensive player an exorbitant amount of money.....could he be the next LT? maybe, but its not the end all be all........at this point bringing in a guy like jason taylor and drafting a guy like barwin would best fill both short term and long term needs

I don't think Jason Taylor would cost all that much more than what Vrabel was making. There's about a half dozen OLBs in this draft that should go in that 23-34 range. I think it's almost a give that we'll take one with either pick, but then again a year ago we all thought the Pats would never take a LB on day one. lol

Most are saying Taylor is not a starting OLB on the Pats, so you think the Pats would pay Taylor more money to get less of a player? Taylor would certainly have to take less then what Vrabs was making to come here.

If he's willing to then great! I think they'll wait it out and get him at a reasonable price. As opposed to give up their entire day one stash in order to get Peppers.

Last edited:
flip a pick for a first rounder next yr

This is what I was thinking plus #34 this year and LM as they have not had a good RB their in since Alexander. I am just worried about the OLB this year and though maybe BB would spend his money on the best Defensive player in the draft to pair with Mayo for years. The fact that it would piss of the Genius in Cleveland is the bonus. That being said BB has never moved up that high so I really doubt he would do it this year.

he should keep 1st, 2nds and 3rd and trade other picks for next yr picks....get 5 very good players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes