PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Bills trying to copy the recent success of New England?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats have always been a value organization when it comes to players. They value a player at a certain amount, and let the player go if they don't meet that value.

Your use of the word "always" can only imply that you mean "since the year 2000", (which we all know translates to just a mere fraction of the Pats' history) right? You cannot possibly be using the word "always" to denote any other congruent period of Patriots football history, can you?

Last edited:
In my link below,the guy writing the article does make a valid point and I did not realize it until I read this that in reality,I think the Bills let those 3 outstanding players in Fletcher,Clements and Spikes just walk out the door without resistance because they think they can duplicate what New England has done over the years and that is simply do not overpay for a player and if he does not accept the offer let him walk with no apprehension or hesitation.

I really think this is the Bills philosophy but there is one problem - The Bills do not have Belichick or Pioli to pull off letting key players go and don't have the overall talent to overcome these types of moves.

I think the Bills will find out like many other teams who in the future will let their aging but best players go that is you cannot duplicate what NE has done unless you have the FO capable of doing so - Not many teams have a strong FO and coach combos like the Patriots and many will regret losing those players and trying to replace them,some will succeed,many others will fail

I think the copycat Bills will regret this to a record of something like 5-11 this year,They did well in getting Whitner last year and had a good draft this year in getting Lynch and the other rookies but it will be awhile and a few years before it shows on the teams record.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/07/bills_hope_patriotsstyle_perso.html

Hey, you read the article, and it was published on the internet, so it must be true!

they think they can duplicate what New England has done over the years and that is simply do not overpay for a player and if he does not accept the offer let him walk with no apprehension or hesitation.

Since an unknown author with no ties to the Bills whatsoever wrote and published this article, it's quite clear to all of us that this must be the team's official organizational philosophy.

Or not.

Bingo.

The Patriots have never been about not paying guys big money. They have been about not paying big money to guys that weren't worth big money.

It seems that both the media and other teams have misinterpreted this.

Perfectly put. It continually amazes me how short-sighted other organizations and, especially, the media misconstrues what is ACTUALLY the Patriots "system." The Patriots aren't unwilling to pay major bank - they're just unwilling to pay it when it's not warranted. Idiots.

Ho hum, we'll win another Super Bowl or three. A-holes.

The Bills are an awful franchise and should relocate. Buffalo is just an armpit and their fans are pathetic. Remember when they beat up a Pats fan and his pregnant wife? I'm glad they suck.

Thank you for, as usual, totally debasing the rest of us by association. You're truly useless on this board. Scram.

The Bills have announced their intention not to spend up to the cap (or more precisely, to spend a total amount equal to their cap allocation [which is effectively the same thing]).

Huh? Explain this. Spending to the cap is spending to the cap. If I spend to the cap each and every year, I can't do anymore to help my team. The team that doles out a ton of signing bonuses that makes their cap burst will eventally be sitting on a lot of dead money. That's how the Redskins do it. They pay guys who aren't there. Just because the Bills are actually paying players who are still there doesn't mean they are paying less.

Paying up to the cap is the max you can pay. No two ways around it.

Hey, you read the article, and it was published on the internet, so it must be true!

Since an unknown author with no ties to the Bills whatsoever wrote and published this article, it's quite clear to all of us that this must be the team's official organizational philosophy.

Or not.

Would you like to enlighten us with the Bills real philosophy, and tell us why they are going to be better this year? :rolleyes:

Your use of the word "always" can only imply that you mean "since the year 2000", (which we all know translates to just a mere fraction of the Pats' history) right? You cannot possibly be using the word "always" to denote any other congruent period of Patriots football history, can you?

You are correct, that is my bad. I meant the current regime, under Belichick.

Having watched the Pats going back to the early 70's, I can state that they weren't always a value-based organization.

However, since Belichick took over that is what it has been.

can levy adopt the New England model?

The Bills made some dumb moves under Donahoe, but nothing compared to the devastating incompetence of Bobby Grier.
The Patriots had no young core of players (only Seymour) and won the first couple with a lot of retread veterans. We're still building the young core of the next generation.
I think Buffalo has some good young talent, but they're a couple years away. Why spend a fortune on players that won't get you to the playoffs, or don't want to play there? (MacGahee).
If they're filling in with affordable vets while letting the kids mature, I think they're smart. They'll spend the money when it leads to playoff success, because that's all that matters.
Levy's pretty old, but i think he's proven he knows how to compete consistently.

1. i've thought for years that when nfl franchises start hiring mediocre black coaches/front office people, the goals of affirmetive action will have been realized. BTW i am african american, 57, and therefore not racist (hmmmm...).
2. peter king wrote in SI last year that whereas patriots have only two "4" players (brady & seymour, scale 1-4), they have more guys who play to a high "3" than anyone else in nfl. vrabel, neal, matt light, corey dillon, bruschi, samuel, harrison, koppen, ty warren, colvin, mankins, jarvis green, wilfork, watson, rodney.

I am sure MANY teams are trying to emulate the Pats...that they do NOT do it exactly is really not the issue..they are TRYING..and it makes sense.
Of course, they will put their own spin on many of the moves in trying to justify what they did..in the end, they need to do what is right for the team...and will fall short.
Trying to copy is just a superficial thing.."See what we are doing is LIKE...."
BUT is it really what is needed?? They are a rather pathetic team and yes, they could be closer to 500 this year...BUT with a soft D, it is more likely sinking to nearer the bottom.

Re: can levy adopt the New England model?

1. i've thought for years that when nfl franchises start hiring mediocre black coaches/front office people, the goals of affirmetive action will have been realized. BTW i am african american, 57, and therefore not racist (hmmmm...).
2. peter king wrote in SI last year that whereas patriots have only two "4" players (brady & seymour, scale 1-4), they have more guys who play to a high "3" than anyone else in nfl. vrabel, neal, matt light, corey dillon, bruschi, samuel, harrison, koppen, ty warren, colvin, mankins, jarvis green, wilfork, watson, rodney.

You mean like Ozzie Newsome?

The problem is that so much comes down to the ability of a team to scout players. Both in terms of self-scouting -- who they can allow to walk -- and external scouting, how much to pay or how high to draft new players.

Buffalo won't have a chance until they get that under control. It may be early to know about Losman, but they have recently seemed to draft poorly with their early and expensive picks. They seemed to overpay for the FA's.

The Patriots have made their share of mistakes, but their first-rounder draft picks have been superb and their big-money FA's are generally good as well. They have had a workable plan when letting key veterans leave (lucky with Gostkowski or smart, I don't know, and unlucky with Branch or dumb, I don't know).

Like the Patriots, the Colts, the Eagles, and the Chargers seem to know what they're doing. The Bills are not in that class and it shows in the W-L column.

I can understand how you might think that the Bills have drafted poorly because of their 2005 draft. However, even the Pats have had lousy drafts (2004).

But, when you look at the other drafts from the Bills (2003, 2005, 2006) they've been pretty strong. The problem is that they haven't been able to put everything together. Yes, they messed up in dealing with McGahee by shipping Travis Henry out and keeping McGahaee after McGahee started whining. The Bills are slowly putting together a strong team. They have some very good WRs in Lee Evans, Josh Reed, Roscoe Parrish and Peerless Price. Their secondary is young, but getting better. A lot will depend on whether Youbouty lives up to his billing. But Bills seemed to have gotten at least 2 very talented players in Posluszny and Wendling to help out their defense. Adding them to Simpson, Whitner and Ellison and they have a long of good young talent there.

Don't sell the Bills short. I figure that they will be the ones to surprise people and finish 2nd in the division unless Youbouty proves unable to handle the CB duties. Then they will finish 4th.

I can understand how you might think that the Bills have drafted poorly because of their 2005 draft. However, even the Pats have had lousy drafts (2004).

But, when you look at the other drafts from the Bills (2003, 2005, 2006) they've been pretty strong. The problem is that they haven't been able to put everything together. Yes, they messed up in dealing with McGahee by shipping Travis Henry out and keeping McGahaee after McGahee started whining. The Bills are slowly putting together a strong team. They have some very good WRs in Lee Evans, Josh Reed, Roscoe Parrish and Peerless Price. Their secondary is young, but getting better. A lot will depend on whether Youbouty lives up to his billing. But Bills seemed to have gotten at least 2 very talented players in Posluszny and Wendling to help out their defense. Adding them to Simpson, Whitner and Ellison and they have a long of good young talent there.

Don't sell the Bills short. I figure that they will be the ones to surprise people and finish 2nd in the division unless Youbouty proves unable to handle the CB duties. Then they will finish 4th.

If you think there is 1 PLAYER who will make a difference between a team being in second place and fourth place you are being delusional -

Its like saying if Lawrence Maroney has only a subpar year the Patriots will be 6-10

In my link below,the guy writing the article does make a valid point and I did not realize it until I read this that in reality,I think the Bills let those 3 outstanding players in Fletcher,Clements and Spikes just walk out the door without resistance because they think they can duplicate what New England has done over the years and that is simply do not overpay for a player and if he does not accept the offer let him walk with no apprehension or hesitation.
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/07/bills_hope_patriotsstyle_perso.html

See the deal Buffalo signed with that guard from Washington before you accuse the Bills of not overpaying for a player.

Would you like to enlighten us with the Bills real philosophy, and tell us why they are going to be better this year? :rolleyes:

If I truly knew, I'd be working for the Bills, not allowed to tell ya and most certainly wouldn't be posting it on a fan interaction website. :)

What I am sure of, however, is what Buffalo has done personnel wise these past two offseasons in no way resmbles what NE has done since the Piloi/Belichick regime took the helm. I find the linked column to be lazy research and even worse reporting at best. Perhaps I am missing something.

I have no idea if they will better or worse than they were last year nor do I remember making such a claim.

I do suspect, however, that they are fully committed to building a solid core of youngsters and were/are aware that expensive vets like F-B, Spikes, Clements and McG were not going to get them to where they want to be by the time the younger player are at full stride and ready to make significant contributions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back