PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

April 23 in Pats History: Ger, Quinn, Jim Kelly, Ringo, Sam Adams & Six Draughts

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Today in Patriots History
An original Patriot

Happy 83rd birthday to Gerhard Schwedes
Born April 23, 1938 in Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Patriot HB, 1960-61; uniform #44

Pats territorial/bonus pick, 1960 AFL draft/allocation, from Syracuse

The AFL's first draft | Pro Football Hall of Fame

On November 22, 1959, not long after the American Football League was founded, the first AFL draft occurred. At the time, no front offices or coaching staffs were complete and no more than half of the eight teams even had any scouts or personnel staff.

This draft certainly was unlike the NFL draft of today in which millions of people watch on television accompanied by large stacks of draft guides. This draft was held in secret and the merits of each player were determined during the selection process.

To begin the draft, each of the eight teams received one territorial/bonus pick to help ensure every team had a regional draw to help the financial success of each franchise. These regional picks did not occur in any order. Instead, they were unanimously agreed upon by the other teams.

Following the territorial picks, a consensus was determined as to who the top eight players at each position were – due to the rules of the time, college players were generally listed by their offensive positions only. The names of each position were then put into a box and drawn for by each club. This process continued until each team had 33 selections, or three offensive units.

A second round of selections occurred two weeks later on December 2. The process was similar to the first selection meeting but consisted of only 20 rounds.

Even though it was a consensus and territorial allocation, Schwedes is considered to be the answer to the trivia question of who was the first player "drafted" in the history of the Patriots franchise.

(If you are interested in more detail on that first AFL draft, and the formation of the league prior to the first kickoff, I recommend this interesting, highly informative and very detailed account of what was happening with the eight owners back in 1959):

-->> Demystifying the Inaugural American Football League Draft

Ger Schwedes was an All-American and captain at Syracuse, playing halfback, safety and quarterback. In 1959 the Orange went undefeated and beat Texas in the Cotton Bowl to win the National Championship. Schwedes played a pivotal role in the game, throwing an 87-yard halfback option pass to RB Ernie Davis to score the game’s first touchdown on the third play of the game, and running for another TD himself in the third quarter. Schwedes finished ninth in voting for the Heisman Trophy.

Gerhard_Schwedes.jpg
852_Schwedes_Gerhard_Syracuse.jpg

The Pats traded the German-born Schwedes to the Titans before the season began, then re-signed him in mid-season. Injuries derailed his pro career though. In seven games over two seasons with the Patriots, Schwedes rushed for 14 yards on ten carries and had one reception for 21 yards. After a stint in the Army where he rose to the rank of captain, he then moved to upstate New York, owning a small marketing company that specialized in motivational aids.

Greater Syracuse Sports Hall of Fame | Gerhard Schwedes

His son Scott also went to Syracuse, setting school receiving records that lasted for 31 years. While the younger Schwedes was in high school he played against PatsFan @Ring 6 . Scott Schwedes was drafted in the second round by Miami; he was with the Dolphins from 1987-90 as their punt returner and backup WR.

1959%20FB%20Team%20Celebration.jpg

A Patriot pro wrestler, and Jim Kelly

Happy 37th birthday to Quinn Ojinnaka
Born April 23, 1984 in Seabrook, Maryland
Patriot G/T, 2010; uniform #68
Acquired in trade with Atlanta for a 7th round 2011 draft pick on August 22, 2010

The Pats picked Ojinnaka up near the end of the 2010 training camp from Atlanta, for next to nothing. He had previously been suspended for the first week of 2010 due to an off season arrest, and after that replaced Marques Murrell on the roster. The Patriots cut Ojinnaka on September 30 to make room for RB Thomas Clayton, but re-signed him a week later. He appeared in eight regular season games and one playoff game with the Patriots; in seven NFL seasons he played in 62 games with 20 starts.

Ojinnaka is one of at least three former Patriots (Brennan Williams, Monty Brown) that turned to pro wrestling after their NFL careers ended. He went by the name of Moose, and is a former two-time Impact Grand Champion.

Five years ago in an interview with Sports Illustrated, Ojinnaka had the following to say, defending the wall:

“I’d love to give Goodell a spear,” said Ojinnaka, who is known in Ring of Honor as Moose. “Free Tom Brady.”​

The 6’5”, 300-pound former offensive lineman–who is about to become the biggest free agent in wrestling–is furious about Goodell’s treatment of the Brady suspension.​

“Goodell lost the battle,” said Moose. “Tom Brady played last year, and he is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, so why would the NFL not want to see him play? They’re making a lot of money off the guy, and I really thought we ended this last year.”​

“Playing under Bill Belichick helped me a lot with how I get ready for a match,” said Moose. “Bill Belichick got you better prepared than any other coach in the NFL, and that’s one of the reasons why I come so prepared to my matches. I watch tape of my opponent, I study my opponent and I go into the match knowing more about him than he knows about himself.”​

Moose explained that Belichick treated him in the same manner that he treated every other player.​

On the field, Belichick was an a--hole to everybody,” said Moose. “At the end of the day, all he cared about was winning.”​

usatsi_4815924_168380979_lowres.jpg

Happy 79th birthday to Jim Kelly
Born April 23, 1942 in McKeesport, PA
Pats 2nd round (13th overall) selection of the 1964 AFL draft, from Notre Dame

The Notre Dame tight end was also a second round pick by Pittsburgh, and he signed with the Steelers rather than the Pats. Kelly only lasted three seasons in the NFL, totaling 31 receptions for 531 yards and five touchdowns.

Other pro football players born on this date with New England connections:

Shawn Halloran turns 57 (born 4/23/1964)
Halloran was born in Gardner and is an alumnus of Oakmont Regional High School in Ashburnham. He then went to Boston College and fared well in the extremely unenviable role of following Doug Flutie as the quarterback at BC. Halloran threw for 5,252 yards and 30 touchdowns, and was the starting QB in '85 and '86 with the Eagles. In their 9-3 1986 season his touchdown pass in the final seconds of play gave BC a 27-24 victory over Georgia in the 1986 Hall of Fame Bowl.

From 1987-88 Halloran backed up Neil Lomax with the Rams. He made only three NFL appearances, going 1-1 in his two starts. Since then he has moved around in various ranks as a college football assistant coach. Halloran is now the athletic director at Bishop Lynch High School in Dallas.

Tony Elliott, 4/23/1959 - 12/31/2007 (49)
Elliott is from Bridgeport, where he graduated from Harding High School. The nose tackle was drafted by New Orleans in the fifth round of the 1982 draft. Elliott played in 85 games with 61 starts for the Saints from 1982 to 1988. He once said that he 'had three loves: football, cocaine and booze'. In 2000 he was shot and paralyzed by an alleged drug dealer. For more on his life, see this 2008 espn column: Tony Elliott's life, death took tragic turns.

Scott Lutrus, 33 (4/23/1988)
The Brookfield CT native stayed local, moving 65 miles to UConn for his collegiate experience. The linebacker was originally signed by Jacksonville, and then was part of the Rams practice squad. Indy signed him late in the 2011 season, where he appeared in four games. Lutrus spent 2012 on IR and was waived/injured by the Colts in 2013. He later played in the short lived Fall Experimental Football League, until it folded in 2015.

Kyle Juszczyk, 30 (4/23/1991)
"Juice" was a tight end at Harvard, and drafted in the fourth round (130th overall) by the Ravens in 2013. He has been a fullback since entering the NFL, and has been named to five consecutive Pro Bowls. As a free agent in 2017 Juszczyk signed a four year, $21 million contract with the Niners, making him the highest paid fullback in NFL history.

Ringo, Sam Adams and a six-pack of drafts

April 23, 1979:
Jim Ringo is promoted to offensive coordinator, while also retaining his offensive line coach duties.
Tom Yewcic is hired as running backs coach.

April 23, 1981:
Sam Adams is traded to New Orleans for an 8th round pick. He had played in 119 games with 105 starts in ten seasons with the Pats, mostly at right guard.

April 23, 1989: Day One, Rounds 1-5 of the NFL Draft, at the New York Marriott Marquis
1.16 -- WR Hart Lee Dykes, Oklahoma
2.43 -- CB Eric Coleman, Wyoming
3.63 -- TE Marv Cook, Iowa [pick received from 8/26/88 trade with Tampa for Stephen Starring]
3.73 -- DE Chris Gannon, SW Louisiana
4.96 -- CB Maurice Hurst, Southern [pick received from Washington 4/24/88, for a 1988 5th]
4.100 - WR Michael Timpson, Penn State
(5th round pick traded previous year to Cleveland for C Mike Baab)

The following day was not very fruitful, as the Patriots would draft Tony Zackery, Rodney Rice and seven other players that combined for one appearance with the Pats, and two NFL games played.

April 23, 1990: Day Two, Rounds 6-12 of the 1990 Draft
(6th round pick traded earlier to Dallas)
Traded down, sending 7.166 and 7.170 to Buffalo for a 1991 4th and 12.322
(8th round pick traded earlier to Dallas)
9.226 - G Shauwn Bowens, Nebraska Wesleyan
10.253 - RB Anthony Landry, Stephen F Austin
11.280 - DE Sean Smith, Georgia Tech
12.309 - DB Ventson Donelson, Michigan State
12.322 - G Blaine Rose, Maryland

Day One was one that the Pats wished they had a mulligan, passing on either Cortez Kennedy or Junior Seau in order to double up and instead select Chris Singleton and Ray Agnew. Tommy Hodson, Greg McMurty, Junior Robinson (who?), Jon Melander (what?) and James Gray (huh?) were the other accomplices to this incredible splitshow of a draft, pathetic even by Hugh Culverhouse era Bucs standards.

April 23, 1995: Day Two, Rounds 3-7 of the NFL Draft
Traded a 1996 4th to Kansas City for 4.112
4.112 - C Dave Wohlabaugh, Syracuse
(4.120 traded in '94 for RB Leroy Thompson)
(5.159 sent to Oilers on 2/28 as compensation for signing RFA DE Tim Roberts)
6.195 - RB Dino Philyaw, Oregon
7.234 - CB Carlos Yancy, Georgia

The Pats had an awesome '95 draft, grabbing Ty Law, Ted Johnson, Curtis Martin and Jimmy Hitchock on Day One, then Wohlabaugh.

April 23, 2005: Day One, Rounds 1-3 of the NFL Draft at the Jacob Javits Convention Center, NYC
1.32 -- G Logan Mankins, Fresno State
Traded down 20 spots, sending 2.64 to Baltimore for 3.84, 6.195 and a 2006 3rd
3.84 -- CB Ellis Hobbs, Iowa State
(Had traded 3.95 and 5.168 to Arizona for CB Duane Starks and 5.145 on 3/3)
3.100 - OT Nick Kaczur, Toledo (compensatory pick for loss of Damien Woody)

The Patriots followed up by choosing S James Sanders, LB Ryan Claridge, QB Matt Cassel and TE Andy Stokes with their other selections.
Those five make for a very nice draft in my opinion; even more so when considering the team was starting at #32 every round.

April 23, 2010: Day Two, Rounds 2-3 of the NFL Draft
Traded up 2 spots, sending 2.44 and 6.190 to Oakland for 2.42
2.42 - TE Rob Gronkowski, Arizona
Traded down 11 spots, sending 2.47 to Arizona for 2.58 and 3.89
2.53 - DE Jermaine Cunningham, Florida
Traded down 4 spots, sending 2.58 to Houston for 2.62 and 5.100
2.62 - LB Brandon Spikes, Florida
(3.85 previously traded in '09 to Oakland for DE Derrick Burgess)
Traded out, sending 3.89 to Carolina for a 2011 2nd
3.90 - WR Taylor Price, Ohio

The Patriots traded down twice on Day One before selectin Devin McCourty at #27. On Day Three the Pats selected TE Aaron Hernandez, P Zoltan Mesko, OL Ted Larsen, OL Thomas Welch, DL Brandon Deaderick, DT Weston and QB Zac Robinson.

The production from McCourty, Gronk, AH and Mesko more than compensates for the disappointment of Cunningham, Spikes and Price.

April 23, 2020: Day One, Round One of the NFL Draft
Pats traded down 14 spots, sending 1.23 to the Chargers for 1.37 and 3.71

Kyle Dugger, Josh Uche, Anfernee Jennings, Devin Asiasi, Dalton Keene, Justin Rohrwasser, Michael Onwenu, Justin Herron, Cassh Maluia and Dustin Woodard are the sad remnants of the 2000 draft, all from days 2-3. While the jury is still out for many of these players, right now this draft class could be headed to bottom-five in franchise history. At the moment Onwenu is the only saving grace relative to draft status.

Hart Less Dykes...One of my Least-Favorite Patriots of All Time...

Those late '80s - early '90s drafts were absolutely putrid...Sounds familiar, even 25-30 years later...

Hart Less Dykes...One of my Least-Favorite Patriots of All Time...

Those late '80s - early '90s drafts were absolutely putrid...Sounds familiar, even 25-30 years later...
Hart Lee Dykes is one of those "back of the racks" draft bust jokes you just trot out when you're being self-deprecating... "this is the year that Hart Lee Dykes really makes his mark... " He didn't die did he? That would ruin it.

An original Patriot

Happy 83rd birthday to Gerhard Schwedes
Born April 23, 1938 in Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Patriot HB, 1960-61; uniform #44

Pats territorial/bonus pick, 1960 AFL draft/allocation, from Syracuse

The AFL's first draft | Pro Football Hall of Fame

On November 22, 1959, not long after the American Football League was founded, the first AFL draft occurred. At the time, no front offices or coaching staffs were complete and no more than half of the eight teams even had any scouts or personnel staff.

This draft certainly was unlike the NFL draft of today in which millions of people watch on television accompanied by large stacks of draft guides. This draft was held in secret and the merits of each player were determined during the selection process.

To begin the draft, each of the eight teams received one territorial/bonus pick to help ensure every team had a regional draw to help the financial success of each franchise. These regional picks did not occur in any order. Instead, they were unanimously agreed upon by the other teams.

Following the territorial picks, a consensus was determined as to who the top eight players at each position were – due to the rules of the time, college players were generally listed by their offensive positions only. The names of each position were then put into a box and drawn for by each club. This process continued until each team had 33 selections, or three offensive units.

A second round of selections occurred two weeks later on December 2. The process was similar to the first selection meeting but consisted of only 20 rounds.

Even though it was a consensus and territorial allocation, Schwedes is considered to be the answer to the trivia question of who was the first player "drafted" in the history of the Patriots franchise.

(If you are interested in more detail on that first AFL draft, and the formation of the league prior to the first kickoff, I recommend this interesting, highly informative and very detailed account of what was happening with the eight owners back in 1959):

-->> Demystifying the Inaugural American Football League Draft

Ger Schwedes was an All-American and captain at Syracuse, playing halfback, safety and quarterback. In 1959 the Orange went undefeated and beat Texas in the Cotton Bowl to win the National Championship. Schwedes played a pivotal role in the game, throwing an 87-yard halfback option pass to RB Ernie Davis to score the game’s first touchdown on the third play of the game, and running for another TD himself in the third quarter. Schwedes finished ninth in voting for the Heisman Trophy.

Gerhard_Schwedes.jpg
852_Schwedes_Gerhard_Syracuse.jpg

The Pats traded the German-born Schwedes to the Titans before the season began, then re-signed him in mid-season. Injuries derailed his pro career though. In seven games over two seasons with the Patriots, Schwedes rushed for 14 yards on ten carries and had one reception for 21 yards. After a stint in the Army where he rose to the rank of captain, he then moved to upstate New York, owning a small marketing company that specialized in motivational aids.

Greater Syracuse Sports Hall of Fame | Gerhard Schwedes

His son Scott also went to Syracuse, setting school receiving records that lasted for 31 years. While the younger Schwedes was in high school he played against PatsFan @Ring 6 . Scott Schwedes was drafted in the second round by Miami; he was with the Dolphins from 1987-90 as their punt returner and backup WR.

1959%20FB%20Team%20Celebration.jpg
thought i had found a pic of him from 1960... but after studying it a bit, i'm about 80-90% sure its chuck shonta... was bummed...

but i did find this snippet, which does at least mention him by name

UURdwXP.jpg

thought i had found a pic of him from 1960... but after studying it a bit, i'm about 80-90% sure its chuck shonta... was bummed...

but i did find this snippet, which does at least mention him by name

UURdwXP.jpg
I don't know why, I just love stumbling over ancient artifacts like that newspaper clipping. Thanks!

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back