PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anything Else Before The Draft?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to see Elliot decide where he will play in 2024 (here of Dallas). We do need another RB.

A LT signing is certainly possible, and desirable.

The rest can wait until after the draft (free safety, DT, 3rd TE, backup LG, STers).

Gilmore is really the only guy left I would go ahead with the one year deal for the heck of it. He would help cb and fs at the same time allowing jon jones to get more work there. And yes id really like elliott back if he’s interested.

The rest of the money id keep for a potential trade, big cuts, or a few more 1 year deals closer to season

Maybe an in-house extension or two (Barmore), but I would not expect any new signings prior to the draft.

That's because after May 1 new veteran free agent acquisitions do not factor into the compensatory draft pick formula.

That date falls after the draft (April 25-April 27).

We didn't really lose anyone who's going to count for much in the compensatory formula calculation, did we? Don't know why that should keep us out of the FA process these days

We didn't really lose anyone who's going to count for much in the compensatory formula calculation, did we? Don't know why that should keep us out of the FA process these days
Good point, I may be overthinking that angle.

EDIT: Trent Brown should get the Pats a comp pick.

Gilmore is really the only guy left I would go ahead with the one year deal for the heck of it. He would help cb and fs at the same time allowing jon jones to get more work there. And yes id really like elliott back if he’s interested.

The rest of the money id keep for a potential trade, big cuts, or a few more 1 year deals closer to season

Would like that as well, but I expect he's going to wait for a training camp injury to a CB 1 or 2 on a playoff hopeful team and be the solution for them. More money in that.

As said Gilmore would be a sneaky nice addition. But any external free agents I think will come after the draft.

Would love to see Barmore extended.

I would like to see Elliot decide where he will play in 2024 (here of Dallas). We do need another RB.
I'd like to see the Pats add a running back in the draft - after a QB, OT and WR, of course.
Isaac Guerendo, Dylan Laube or Will Shipley look like nice additions that could be had on Day 3.

Rhamonde has performed very well, but he will be a free agent in 2025.
If nothing else I'd like to reduce his workload and keep him fresh.
He had 279 touches in 2023, and was on pace for 275 last year before the injury.
With that much usage injuries are inevitable, as is a decline in speed.

On the defense, we do have the luxury of one-year rentals given there's a semblance of both an identity and success on that side. I wouldn't be mad if Gilmore got all the grapes he needed in his contracts away from NE to unsour his own, and if he has anything left in the tank. I'd love for him to mentor Gonzalez.

We need longish-term players. Taking on some glitzy one-year wonder would be silly for a team which likely has no chance of competing for the post-season, or much of anything else except for a high draft pick next year. With a team this depleted, they have to think long term - two or three years - aside perhaps from inexpensive castoffs, NFL vagabonds, footloose ne'er-do-wells on the lam, and so on, and should look to the draft for longer-term additions. Re-signing sound current players isn't sexy, but it's wise.

Last edited:
Anything else…?

How about anything At All?

Good point, I may be overthinking that angle.

EDIT: Trent Brown should get the Pats a comp pick.

Didn't Trent Brown sign for peanuts, relatively speaking?

Or did I imagine that?

Didn't Trent Brown sign for peanuts, relatively speaking?

Or did I imagine that?
One year, $4.75 million.
That should yield at least a 6th, maybe a 5th.

Jalen Mills (one-year, $1,377,500) might net a 7th, but more likely won't get anything.

EDIT: see the comment above; Pats are not going to receive any compensatory picks.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back