PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anybody else hate the rule change to review pass interference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem here is that the refs 'during replay' will do what the TV announcers do today.....when PI gets called, they do everything they can to talk themselves into it being a good call (even if it was very ticky tack).

The problem here is that the refs 'during replay' will do what the TV announcers do today.....when PI gets called, they do everything they can to talk themselves into it being a good call (even if it was very ticky tack).
Yup.. and PI always always always looks way worse in slow-mo than real time. You have to allow some jostling or this sport will literally become unwatchable.

Everything should be reviewable as BB has said and this is one step towards that, since now only it only works towards called fouls.
No it doesn’t. Non-called PI is reviewable

This one is way more the owners than on Goodell. Also, by all reports BB was vocally in favor of it at the meetings.
Belichick being for something counts for a lot, since he obviously knows more about football than all of us put together. So maybe it will work out and I hope it does.

Last edited:
This is definitely the “Saints” rule. How many times can coaches challenge this? Is this part of the two challenges a half?

This is definitely the “Saints” rule. How many times can coaches challenge this? Is this part of the two challenges a half?

Yes, but teams get two challenges for the game (three if they win both of the first two), not two per half.

I hate they waited for Gronk to retire to implement it.

After the two-minute warning, the responsibility of calling reviews shifts from coaches to the replay assistant in the booth. Sometimes those decisions can directly determine the outcome of the game. The replay assistant only has the time between plays to decide whether to order review. Even if a call is not overturned, a decision to review can affect a team's momentum at a critical juncture.

The replay assistant's judgment in deciding which plays to review will become a critical determinant in many games as to who wins and loses.

Not loving that so much say in outcome falls to one person under this new rule.
You do realize that’s the same as everything else in the final 2 min of a half? And the same as all scoring plays and turnovers? The outcome already “falls to one person” for every reviewable thing.

Doesn’t matter what the refs on the field think. They don’t get to make the overturn/confirm decision. No one at the stadium does.

In a game where one play could result in a win or a loss, Everything should be reviewable.
I agree with this. As long as they still have the limit on the number of challenges I think it will be ok. There will be some issues working it out but I believe coaches will not challenge ticky tock calls . You don't want t be Sean Payton with no challenges left.

Just feels like a headache coming. Per Schefter via Reiss:

Patriots' Bill Belichick advocates for more time working with players

For example, the Rams would have gotten the call on Cooks & ball at the one in the Super Bowl. I see a lot of headscratchers coming.

I don’t love instant replay in general, because it seems to make the game less exciting....there’s a pause in your emotions watching...eh, that’ll be overturned...but I think it works for turnovers and some of these clearer things. Interference? It’s gonna be a cluster@#!%

No. I think that, in the end, this will actually benefit the Patriots more than hurt them.

You point to the Cooks play, yet there were plenty of plays prior to that where the Rams interfered with Pats receivers. And let's not forget that the Rams wouldn't have even been in the SB had they reviewed the play and gotten the call on Nickel Robey correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing