PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anybody else hate the rule change to review pass interference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
when has anything this nitwit Goodell has instituted been good for the game?
Exactly. The game was fine as it was, at least for the most part.

You have exactly as many challenges as you had in 2018.

Good point, so how many challenges in the last 2 minutes? Aren't they all booth reviews? So that would be a replay every disputed or questionable call. As the league is trying to prevent another 'saintastrophy' wouldn't that mean they would have to look at all disputed plays? And basically aren't all plays disputed? So hypothetically every play in the last 2 minutes is suspect and require a replay. Or have I misunderstood what the last two minutes are booth reviews means?

This one is way more the owners than on Goodell. Also, by all reports BB was vocally in favor of it at the meetings.
IIRC BB was in favor of having any play reviewable by the coaches. HOWEVER, it came with a simple caveat. The coach has to supply the ref with the exact players involved in the play. You can't simply say there was a hold on that pass play. You have to say it was 59 holding 67, or whatever. Same goes for the PI. Also there was a specific number of challenges and booth reviews weren't part of Bills proposal.

The concept isn't what's the problem here, its the execution of the rule as it exists now. It needs to be tweeked a great deal imo.

You have exactly as many challenges as you had in 2018.

But there are unlimited booth review challenges in the final 2 minutes.

So any pass play, in the last 2 minutes, where the defender and receiver make contact will now have to be reviewed.:eek:

Its about the integrity of the game :cool:

Rule changes are out!

Whatsamatta u? Can’t win games and need you some rule changes? Guess what

You will continue to lose. Sorry man

The rule is fine so long as the booth reviews in the last two minutes aren't used to dissect every play. If they're only used to correct really obvious misses, and let the refs continue to dictate what's acceptable from a mutual battle standpoint, the worst this is going to do is maybe one challenge per game from the coaches. But, I'll admit, there's always the chance they do over-police those last two minutes, but that's more about execution of the rule than the rule itself.

My concern is slowing down momentum, consider LI Superbowl.. in the final drives Atl had their hands on their hips gasping for air. to give them a an average of 2.5 minutes for a review may have been drive killers...

A more palatable idea may have been to add an additional back judge, to cover more of the field.. for a team that is masterful of controlling the clock, this will destroy that some of that mastery..

It has also been said that there is PI and OPI on every play.. so this could get really confusing.

Since we are usually ahead at the end of games, it feels like this rule will be used to screw the Pats more than it will help them. We shall see.

On the bright side, there will be 14 other games on opening weekend to figure this crap out before the Pat's play.

Thought NFL Games were to watch players play and not the Refs reviewing replays. There only so much a guy or gal can take of Old Ed Hochculi flexing his guns in HD yikes. :eek:

And we thought some games were long last season. When NFL games becomes as long as Baseball games I will stop watching.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
And we thought some games were long last season. When NFL games bemcomes as long as Baseball games I will stop watching.:rolleyes:

There's still the same number of challenges allowed to coaches each game. So long as they don't review every play in the last two minutes through booth reviews, there will be almost zero impact to the length of games.

After the two-minute warning, the responsibility of calling reviews shifts from coaches to the replay assistant in the booth. Sometimes those decisions can directly determine the outcome of the game. The replay assistant only has the time between plays to decide whether to order review. Even if a call is not overturned, a decision to review can affect a team's momentum at a critical juncture.

The replay assistant's judgment in deciding which plays to review will become a critical determinant in many games as to who wins and loses.

Not loving that so much say in outcome falls to one person under this new rule.

I watch quite a few CFL games where PI is subject to challenge and I must say in general I like it although the standard they apply seems stricter than the on field one.
The CFL issues one challenge per game per team and the booth does not initiate review in the last 2 minutes so teams have to use these more carefully.

I think the 2 minutes and less booth review is going to present some logistical problems. I would imagine we will see offenses hurry to the line of scrimmage on hitch and rub route plays knowing that contact beyond a yard could be called but how many times will the booth require a play to be reviewed. I've heard the term 'egregious' used as the standard for review but what does that mean and its certainly not the standard used for calling them on the field.

In general I like the idea but disruption to the flow of the game and the consistency of standards will likely be compromised. The question is to what degree.

I am agnostic. It will help as much as it hurts. JC Jackson is gonna hate it.

dumbest rule change of all time

Want to review holding that wasn’t called - good luck with that

Everything should be reviewable as BB has said and this is one step towards that, since now only it only works towards called fouls.

I know I am probably entirely alone on this, but I'd be in favor of removing every rule change going back to 1977. The Mel Blount rule and everything after has only made the game worse.

I'm also in favor of system where the Super Bowl champion hosts the game the following season, so admittedly I have a lot of weird ideas about what the NFL should be doing.

I would've started with just making ALL plays be reviewable in the last 5, 2 or whatever minutes of the game, and be initiated only by the central office and if the team hasn't wasted their 2 reviews. See how that goes for a year or so, and only expand it further/abandon it if need be.

Just feels like a headache coming. Per Schefter via Reiss:

Patriots' Bill Belichick advocates for more time working with players

For example, the Rams would have gotten the call on Cooks & ball at the one in the Super Bowl. I see a lot of headscratchers coming.

I don’t love instant replay in general, because it seems to make the game less exciting....there’s a pause in your emotions watching...eh, that’ll be overturned...but I think it works for turnovers and some of these clearer things. Interference? It’s gonna be a cluster@#!%

I was thinking the same thing........that if the Cooks play would get a flag if under two minutes then we're all in trouble.

I mean, if that's the case, then PI could basically be called on all HAIL MARYs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft