PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another Pats-Vikings game 1974..Bob Windsor's gutsy move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patsfanin Philly

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Most of us have read or seen Drew Bledsoe's 45/70 game versus Minnesota in 1994 leading the team to an overtime victory after being down by 20 points. Yet 20 years earlier, a Pats tight end named Bob Windsor laid his career on the line for a victory.
He caught a last second pass at the goal line and while being tackled and having his knee shredded ( he would never fully recover) he willed himself over the goal line for a game winning reception... Did he make it in the end zone???

(5:00 mark for play)

On This Day: Bob Windsor lays his career on the line for the game-winning score

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...al-team/e2aa2965-82e0-4756-8197-f21cfa6d196a/

New England Patriots at Minnesota Vikings - October 27th, 1974 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Sorry can't find any video...-EDIT video at first link

Last edited:
It was one of the games that made me a true fan of the Pats. It was great for so many reasons but also ended the 1974 season with two many injuries going 1W and 6L the rest of the season after starting 6W-1L. The 1974 team was one of the building blocks to 1976 with wins over the Dolphins and Rams also.

Most of us have read or seen Drew Bledsoe's 45/70 game versus Minnesota in 1994 leading the team to an overtime victory after being down by 20 points. Yet 20 years earlier, a Pats tight end named Bob Windsor laid his career on the line for a victory.
He caught a last second pass at the goal line and while being tackled and having his knee shredded ( he would never fully recover) he willed himself over the goal line for a game winning reception... Did he make it in the end zone???

(5:00 mark for play)

On This Day: Bob Windsor lays his career on the line for the game-winning score

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...al-team/e2aa2965-82e0-4756-8197-f21cfa6d196a/

New England Patriots at Minnesota Vikings - October 27th, 1974 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Sorry can't find any video...-EDIT video at first link

I saw that game and remember the play. I had just discovered that there was a local team besides the giants. I stopped watching the midgets and started watching the pats that season.

Last edited:
I remember having this conversation at Latin School on the day after this game, and we asked each other: Was Windsor's injury worth it for the victory? Most of us at the time said Yes, because the TD prevented a 2-game losing streak and we felt that it was important to get right back in the win column. Unfortunately, too many other injuries - and losses - followed, so of course the injury ended up being Not worth the victory, especially for him.
Happy 76th! Birthday (on the 19th) Bob Windsor!

I was still in diapers then and probably watching cartoons...

Thanks for sharing...

I was living in Denver at the time. I remember the Pats had traded with SF for Windsor - I was thrilled we now had a legit TE. As I recall, this was just before the Russ Francis days.

This was before ESPN, cable, internet of course, my Dad sent me newspaper clippings each week of the games - that's how I kept up. RIP Dad, thank you so very much.

That game is the reason that, when I first tried to join PatsFans, I tried to register as ‘Bob Windsor.’ Not sure what the heck happened but it never processed through. Great memory from my youth, when I would pretend I was Sam Cunningham, and my younger brother pretended he was Mack Herron.

I remember having this conversation at Latin School on the day after this game, and we asked each other: Was Windsor's injury worth it for the victory? Most of us at the time said Yes, because the TD prevented a 2-game losing streak and we felt that it was important to get right back in the win column. Unfortunately, too many other injuries - and losses - followed, so of course the injury ended up being Not worth the victory, especially for him.
Happy 76th! Birthday (on the 19th) Bob Windsor!
Thanks for the anecdote, but must disagree.

This game - and that play - are absolute seminal moments in New England football history.

The season marked the first tangible results from Billy Sullivan's brilliant decision to hire Chuck Fairbanks. Starting 5-0 (It easily could have been 8-0, with any luck), and defeating some of the best teams in football, put the Patriots on the map, and established them as legitimate contenders in the modern pro football (post-merger) era. Also, it demonstrated that fans could overcome the gridlock on Route 1 and fill up Schaefer Stadium, as they did often the rest of the decade. As you say, the injuries killed us. But several of those losses were still very close. This is one of the best, most memorable Patriots teams ever. Furthermore, it revealed Jim Plunkett's professional potential, which he unfortunately only reached in Oakland.

This success - as always - only fired up and emboldened Patriots denigration in local and national media. Our success was first attributed to the players' strike that summer, and then that the Fairbanks-Bullough 3-4 defense was a "fluke" which the rest of the league "caught up to" in the second half.

As usual, this is all total bullsh*t. By the end of the decade (five years), every team in the league except one employed the 3-4. We suffered massive injuries the next season in '75, but several rookies including Steve Grogan and Russ Francis gained valuable experience which led to us being Super Bowl level in 1976.

The denigration of the franchise spiked in 1981, when Sam Cunningham sat the season out (along with everything else, the fake idea that "The Patriots don't pay" was somehow invented this century is also B.S.), and the team found ways to lose, en route to a 2-14 season when the media pounced like sharks on the "downtrodden, hapless" Patriots. No one, then or today (except myself) mentions this was our single losing season in a string of 13 years.

Pats-dumping peaked in 1992, when the Sullivan's financial house of cards finally, inevitably came tumbling down. After Raymond Berry insanely benched, and cut, should-be savior Doug Flutie before getting fired himself, the team experienced three (3) losing seasons. You would think, from media - and some local fans - that lasted an eternity, which again is utter stupidity compared to, for example, Packers' and 49ers' and Steelers' decades-long stretches of futility. The Patriots are still labeled a "laughingstock" [that would be the Giants of the 70's] with the league's worst stadium [hello, Municipal Stadium or how about Riverfront?].

Local Boston media blasted out this propaganda, and the rest of the country went along. Why wouldn't they? Wouldn't the local press be the ones most knowledgeable on the subject?

Robert "Thank you sir, may I have another?" Kraft has always endorsed and been complicit in this mythology, retaining the embarrassing booed-out-of-our-stadium flying elvis and corresponding not-worthy-of-the-USFL uniforms, and insulting all of the players, coaches, staff, family and fans who sacrificed and represented our region with courage and honor for thirty-three years, and have nothing to do with Billy Sullivan's shortcomings. I get the guy spent a fortune to buy the team, and he admits the owners all have egos. Does Jerry Jones pretend the two Cowboys Super Bowls won prior to his ownership don't exist? No. And he didn't destroy the uniforms, either.

That game was filled with Patriots heroes. I am sure I was not the only one watching in the last minute thinking, "Jim's gonna throw a bomb to Vataha" which he of course proceeded to do.

Bob Windsor's play and sacrifice has been and remains cherished to this day by all of us who witnessed it, in defeating a Super Bowl team at their home, sending the "lovable loser" Patriots on to future destiny, and glory.

Edit: Bob's turning 76 on December 19th. Best wishes to another Patriots hero.

Last edited:
That game is the reason that, when I first tried to join PatsFans, I tried to register as ‘Bob Windsor.’ Not sure what the heck happened but it never processed through. Great memory from my youth, when I would pretend I was Sam Cunningham, and my younger brother pretended he was Mack Herron.
tumblr_m610w0qmMp1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

"Hey Hog, don't joke about Mack's size...he's sitting right next to me!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back