PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

And now ... Shiftgate! Patriots violate 'unwritten rule'!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Rico

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...england-patriots-ben-roethlisberger/72050820/

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger vigorously protested after left tackle Kelvin Beachum was called for a false start on third-and-goal from the Patriots’ 1-yard line – an infraction triggered by the New England line sliding during Roethlisberger’s snap count.

“I thought that there was a rule against that,” Roethlisberger told reporters. “Maybe there’s not. Maybe it’s just an unwritten rule. … We saw it on film, that the Patriots do that. They shift and slide and do stuff on the goal line, knowing that it’s an itchy trigger finger-type down there.”

Now, I got this link from a Breer Tweet ("Patriots will likely hear these complaints all year. Visiting teams now have license to raise concerns.") Really, "license to complain"? When is the media going to call out these teams for whining, for making excuses when they lose? Has any Patriot EVER whined like that after a loss.?This wussification of the league is the real embarrassment.

Maybe Dr. Phil can have a show each week where he interviews the latest team to lose to the Patriots, and he can re-assure them that their lives still have value.

Oh -- the comments on Breer's Tweets are pretty funny:
https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/642304327646859265

Edit: Actually, the comments on the USAToday's guys timeline were better:
https://twitter.com/IAmJamesStewart/status/642300616388276224

Last edited:
As it's been a little while now since I've seen us play Pitt, I forgot that they whined almost as much as Baltimore. At least they weren't diving at knees as was their standard practice earlier in the decade.

I see D-line shift all the time. These people need to just stop whining. The squeelers haven't beaten the pats in a while, they need to just deal with it.

The Pats are not the only team that does it by a long shot. The Steelers seem to want to blame the Patriots for last night's loss rather than take personal responsibility.

One question. Has anyone read the unwritten rule book to see what kind of the punishment the Pats' might expect?

this is how teams are coming into foxboro are going to be:

mark-sanchez-flinch1.gif

Next thing you know Brady is going to change his cadence to try and get defenses to jump offsides, what a cheat........

I caught him n doing that fake it to the RB and then pass it thing a number of times last night, scumbag.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...england-patriots-ben-roethlisberger/72050820/

Now, I got this link from a Breer Tweet ("Patriots will likely hear these complaints all year. Visiting teams now have license to raise concerns.") Really, "license to complain"? When is the media going to call out these teams for whining, for making excuses when they lose? Has any Patriot EVER whined like that after a loss.?This wussification of the league is the real embarrassment. Maybe Dr. Phil can have a show each week where he interviews the latest players to lose to the Patriots, and he can re-assure them that their lives still have value.

Oh -- the comments on Breer's Tweets are pretty funny:
https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/642304327646859265

Edit: Actually, the comments on the USAToday's guys timeline were better:
https://twitter.com/IAmJamesStewart/status/642300616388276224
Uh, the coach does not let them whine. When the fins dusted off the 1950s playbook and ran the wildcat offense against the Pats it was something the Pats had not seen, not prepared for and no one had seen in a long time in the NFL. The comments after the game were all about having to go back and figure it out and prepare for it. The dolphins won that game because of the wildcat and Pats had no answer for it. But no whining.

There were also the rumors about the Dolphins getting or paying for tapes of Brady's audibles and figuring them out before a game. Again no complaining and no excuses. I'm sure there are other examples

The Pats are not the only team that does it by a long shot. The Steelers seem to want to blame the Patriots for last night's loss rather than take personal responsibility.

One question. Has anyone read the unwritten rule book to see what kind of the punishment the Pats' might expect?
What ever happened to admitting the other team executed better and congratulating them?

Don't worry, there will be another rule change in the off season.

I just heard the Roethlisberger audio on the radio and he said he saw the Pats doing this when he reviewed the game film and yet THE STEELERS WEREN'T READY FOR IT!

I don't know. I thought it was a rule, but maybe it is an unwritten rule. But when you see something your upcoming opponent is doing on game film while preparing for a team, you are supposed to be prepared for them to do that thing when you actually play them.

I'm telling you thats the squeeler way, i lived there for two years and every time they lost it was a pity potty. They NEVER gave the other team any credit when they lost.

Last edited:
Next thing you know Brady is going to change his cadence to try and get defenses to jump offsides, what a cheat........

I caught him n doing that fake it to the RB and then pass it thing a number of times last night, scumbag.
I saw Brady calling for a quick snap when the Steelers forgot to cover Gronk. Very unfair and in violation of fairness and unwritten codes of conduct like the NFL boy scout code of fair play. I expect next time Brady will point it out to the opposing team and not hurry so much. Maybe there should be an on field ref to help the other team figure out what play the Pats are about to run.

Yes. It's on page twelve right after the unwritten rule against snapping the ball when the other team doesn't send all their players out, proper form is for the team with the advantage to call time out and notify the opposing head coach in writing that they are short a player or more, advise them of the play they plan on running, and wait for the defense to be properly line up and then and only then snap the ball.

I just heard the Roethlisberger audio on the radio and he said he saw the Pats doing this when he reviewed the game film and yet THE STEELERS WEREN'T READY FOR IT!
They better get ready for it if they play buffalo, rex does it often.

That's a silly thing for the Steelers to complain about when there were much more legitimate fairness concerns in that game. Like how the Patriots got to field a team of 11 players when the Steelers only lined up 10.

I don't know. I thought it was a rule, but maybe it is an unwritten rule. But when you see something your upcoming opponent is doing on game film while preparing for a team, you are supposed to be prepared for them to do that thing when you actually play them.
I guess when they cut off Ben's boys so he would stop raping women, it prevents him from being a man about winning and losing as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes