PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Analyzing the Patriots draft class by the numbers

Sherman has 23 reps while Nixon managed 18 as a WR. Ouch. Looks like Somebody needs to see the weight room or is Nixon just strong af
Barmore and Jones numbers are surreal. Crazy stats

Sherman has 23 reps while Nixon managed 18 as a WR. Ouch. Looks like Somebody needs to see the weight room or is Nixon just strong af

Sherman seems light on power. how much did Matt Light bench out of Purdue ? Bench press for WR and 40-times for QBs don't matter....

Sherman seems light on power. how much did Matt Light bench out of Purdue ? Bench press for WR and 40-times for QBs don't matter....
I agree just wanted to use this as a comparison that it seemed a little Light on Power as you mentioned rightfully.

Take 3 reps from Nixon and give to Sherman and that's close to what you would normally see for those positions / athlete size.

FWIW, this article has some claims as to which event is most important for each position.

https: //bleacherreport.com/articles/2760924-what-is-the-most-important-combine-event-for-each-nfl-position

(have to copy and paste as doesn't want to link)

FWIW, this article has some claims as to which event is most important for each position.

https: //bleacherreport.com/articles/2760924-what-is-the-most-important-combine-event-for-each-nfl-position

(have to copy and paste as doesn't want to link)

I'm not a seeing anything but basically agility drills matter more for linemen (DL/OL) than WR/TE/RB but they're the most important imo.

40, 3C, shuttles & split (10) and than everything else.

Going to copy/paste my draft grades here, later on I’ll get accused of rubber stamping every BB move. This was posted elsewhere on May 3.

Mac Jones - Not much more to add here, we've dissected these QB's to death. This was a great pick at 15, he got pushed down the board because teams were turned off by his doughy physique and not so fleet of foot athleticism... that sound like anyone else we know coming out? But he's a winner, he put up the single most accurate season of any passer in college history, his 203.1 QB Rating and 77.4% Completion Percentage is the best of all time, his pass yards per attempt 5th all time. After watching Cam run but not pass for a season to ruinous results, give me the passer every time. UP

Christian Barmore
- I jokingly suggested they trade up in the second before the day began to take Barmore, this after saying the day prior they should consider him at 15 if they didn't take Mac Jones or Kwity Paye... I didn't really think they would. This kid improved as the regular college season moved on and by season's end this sophomore beast won the co-MVP in the national championship game. It also doesn't hurt that he was a Patriot fan to begin with and we have strong leadership on this team, including an Alabama legend in Hightower. This pick is like any other draft pick, it's a dice roll, but this kid's ceiling is through the roof. And despite some supposed "motivation" concerns anyone who saw him run at the pro day with his shirt off knows this guy is not a fat slob, he is in shape. In a disciplined environment like New England he should thrive. We could possibly have hit on a Seymour/Suh/Haynesworth type talent in the second round, in which case the trade compensation was entirely reasonable. I doubt Saban would steer Bill in the wrong direction on either of the first two players. UP

Ronnie Perkins
- My first head scratching moment of the draft. Too small and weak to play defensive end full-time and not athletic enough to play OLB. He has decent strength but not James Harrison strength and he's not mobile at all. Perhaps he has that internal football genre that allows his to find the right spot, use leverage and just be a player... but I have doubts. Could have had a much better prospect here IMO. DOWN

Rhamondre Stevenson
- Good solid pick here, good measurables and production for a big back. Is reportedly good at pass blocking and has hands to catch swing passes, which for a big guy that's impressive. Reminds me of Jeremy Hill in his prime, hopefully he stays healthier than Hill did and we get the prerequisite four years out of him. UP

Cameron McGrone
- I gave a McGrone when this pick was made... a weak side linebacker who didn't have the college run stats of an Elandon Roberts or Kamu Grugier-Hill, but who also had some of the worst pass defense in college according to statisticians... so what purpose does he serve? He didn't work out due to a bad wheel so he was hard to evaluate, I would have given him an incomplete grade but his stats dictate otherwise. DOWN/(potentially) INCOMPLETE

Joshuah Bledsoe
- It wouldn't be a draft if BB didn't take a safety. Bledsoe didn't work out after sustaining a wrist injury in the senior bowl which makes me wonder why he couldn't run at least, but whatever. He supposedly is a free safety with good athleticism according to his coach, he's adept at covering TE's and breaking up passes downfield as well as special teams. I can't give him a definitive yes or no at this point but wished they got at least one good young corner. INCOMPLETE

William Sherman
- Bad athlete, not strong, can't play in the NFL unless he possesses some amazing football gene. Pretty much balled this pick up and threw it in the trash. DOWN

Tre Nixon
- Good pick late, reminds me of Malcolm Mitchell as an athlete. 6'1" but lithe, has good 4.4 speed and agility. Not going to beat you by muscling you out but if he becomes a great route runner could pan out. Will probably start his career with a redshirt season as there's plenty of depth in front of him. He's another example why there's no need to spend an early pick on WR'S, there are talented guys everywhere in the draft. UP

All in all a solid draft with a few hiccups. If there's a "new process" I don't see it. They took two Alabama guys followed by two Oklahoma guys, if that's not a typical BB thing to do (Rutgers, Georgia) then I don't know what is.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back