PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alrighty, it's my mock time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bobs My Uncle said:
The inclusion of those RB's wasn't done to draw a comparison with other draft picks in terms of ability and /or performance but, rather, was done to demonstrate to you that those RB's (most of which are/were elite) would make your "RB injury/value" argument look rather foolish.
Wouldn't be the first time for me. You want Williams, I think putting the money into the trenches is where we get the best value for that dollar. BB will get us a CB and we'll just have to drink to Super Bowl XLI.

Box_O_Rocks said:
You want Williams, I think putting the money into the trenches is where we get the best value for that dollar. BB will get us a CB and we'll just have to drink to Super Bowl XLI.
Hey, you'll get no argument from me that getting those trench guys early and often is a good thing. Just look at who the Pats have drafted early this decade. Mankins, Wilfork, Hill, Warren, Seymour, Light. The tops of our drafts have been a who's who of lineman. With such success I'd certainly not question the fact that we took another big trench guy. I really don't see the dire need for one, and would question whether the value would be there, but what do I know.

I just hope that BB doesn't look at getting a RB early as a risky choice because he fears they'll get injured more than other positional players. History has proven that getting a RB early can be awesome value.

The drink is on me.

Bobs My Uncle said:
Hey, you'll get no argument from me that getting those trench guys early and often is a good thing. Just look at who the Pats have drafted early this decade. Mankins, Wilfork, Hill, Warren, Seymour, Light. The tops of our drafts have been a who's who of lineman. With such success I'd certainly not question the fact that we took another big trench guy. I really don't see the dire need for one, and would question whether the value would be there, but what do I know.

I just hope that BB doesn't look at getting a RB early as a risky choice because he fears they'll get injured more than other positional players. History has proven that getting a RB early can be awesome value.

The drink is on me.
Ensure on the rocks, I'm not man enough to drink the stuff neat like Uncle Heatster! :cool:

You're dreaming

Richard Marshall is generating a lot of league-wide interest. His 4.4 speed and success of last year's Fresno State teammate, Logan Mankins, has people trying to be "sexy" of beat the Patriots to the punch with quality players from Pat Hill's program. He's gone before the Patriots pick in the second round. Sorry.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Really nephew robby, "poor value" alludes to the RB position, as far as I'm concerned Reggie da Bush is a poor value in the first, if tempting at 21. Next to 300+ pound linemen, those bitty little 200+ pound RBs take the most abuse. I'm not talking about joints tweaked the wrong way, but plain old fashioned hammer blows to the body. If the average career for a RB is 3 years, and a first round player is chosen for his value to the club, I'm not going to put my penny jar allocation into a RB as a normal matter of course.
Reggie Bush is poor value in the first? That's insane.

The AVERAGE career for a RB may be 3 years - but that's a meaningless stat. The average career for ALL NFL players (of any position) is probably 3 years or less. So you could use the same logic to say that no position is good value for drafting.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Yes, yes, charming fellows all. And I do see three Super Bowl rings there.
You're making some very silly arguments. Sure, none of them have 3 SB rings - does that mean that none of them would improve the Patriots at all? Nobody we'll draft will already have 3 SB rings - so does that mean none of them are worth having?

But be truthful, would you rather have Vince or S Jackson? McGahee or Ty Warren? Tomlinson or Seymour? McAllister or Seymour?
There are many RBs in the NFL that I WOULD rather have over some of the players the Patriots drafted. Comparing some of the RBs to a handful of Patriots players that have been drafted is meaningless.

Matt Light is a second rounder the year Lewis was taken in round one, would you really want Lewis over Light?
YES.

Personally I'm not a fan of taking Williams at 21 - I'd rather take an OLB there, and pick up one of the slightly lesser RBs in round 2 or 3 - Joseph Addai, Jerrious Norwood, or Maurice Drew.

big mike said:
Reggie Bush is poor value in the first? That's insane.

The AVERAGE career for a RB may be 3 years - but that's a meaningless stat. The average career for ALL NFL players (of any position) is probably 3 years or less. So you could use the same logic to say that no position is good value for drafting.
Why is sanity prized so highly I wonder? You are allowed to value players sanely, I find it overvalues some players and prefer my own warped reality. Thanks for dropping in, please do so again. :p

big mike said:
You're making some very silly arguments. Sure, none of them have 3 SB rings - does that mean that none of them would improve the Patriots at all? Nobody we'll draft will already have 3 SB rings - so does that mean none of them are worth having?

There are many RBs in the NFL that I WOULD rather have over some of the players the Patriots drafted. Comparing some of the RBs to a handful of Patriots players that have been drafted is meaningless.

YES.

Personally I'm not a fan of taking Williams at 21 - I'd rather take an OLB there, and pick up one of the slightly lesser RBs in round 2 or 3 - Joseph Addai, Jerrious Norwood, or Maurice Drew.
Sanity, see how it focuses the attention on the flashy runner and discounts the ugly fellas. :singing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe