Alrighty, it's my mock time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobs My Uncle

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Be gentile.

Not sure if I've slotted these guys properly. But, then again, no one really knows anyhow.

1st – pick 21 – DeAngelo Williams - RB. Unbelievably, this top 10 talent is available @ 21. BB loves productive players with tremendous talent and skill and this guy epitomizes one.

2nd – pick 52 – Richard Marshall – CB. Pat Hill’s boy. Could probably start by mid season.

3rd – pick 75 – Maurice Stovall - WR. Charlie Weis’ boy. Could probably start from day 1.

3rd - pick 86 – Mike Hass – WR. Why stop at one WR when the need at the position is great! This guy has Pats written all over him.

4th – pick 106 – Chris Gocong - DE/OLB. BB loves productive players who get it like Gocong does.

4th - pick 118 – Kai Parham – ILB. Al Groh’s boy.

5th – pick 136 – Pat Ross – OC. The local guy. Smart, leader at a good OL program.

6th – pick 191 – Tyrone Culver – Safety. Pat Hill’s boy and secondary teammate of Marshall.

6th – pick 205 – Stephen Gostkowski. PK.

6th – pick 206 – Jon Scifres. PK. Why stop at one PK when the need at the position is great!

7th – pick 229 – Josh Huston. PK. Why stop at two PK's when the need at the position is great!

For a guy suffering from proximity to Buffalo you could have done worse. :D

RB in round one - poor value.
CB in round two - fair.
WR - you took them backwards for my value grade, Hass then Stovall, but I'd prefer you to get you top WR then take another second day with PR/KR skills.
Gocong, I'm high on him.
Parham, I'd bump him down another round and take your OC/OG there, but Ross was okay where you got him.
S - at this point a PR/KR option would make more sense.
3 PK, lets see some imagination here!

I like it. (According to some, that's the Kiss of Death.:D)

Stovall and Hass are pretty much the same receiver. Wouldn't mind trading one of the picks and #52 to move up and take Cromartie if available. Williams has taken a lot of hits, but a yr of backing up CD would probably be good for him.

Thumbs up on Gocong and Parham.

Can't not like a BC center.

Maybe another OL project instead of 3 kickers.

Solid, consevative draft!

I cannot be Gentile cuz I'm an Agnostic...... but I liked your draft except for all the PK's. :rocker:

I see Williams and Maroney a lot on mock drafts, and just don't see that is someone who BB & SP would pick at that spot...I see a defensive player or possibly even another tight end at that spot, no real reason to believe this, but it seems out of character for this org to pick up a RB on the first round.

Bobs My Uncle said:
Be gentile.

Not sure if I've slotted these guys properly. But, then again, no one really knows anyhow.

1st – pick 21 – DeAngelo Williams - RB. Unbelievably, this top 10 talent is available @ 21. BB loves productive players with tremendous talent and skill and this guy epitomizes one.

2nd – pick 52 – Richard Marshall – CB. Pat Hill’s boy. Could probably start by mid season.

3rd – pick 75 – Maurice Stovall - WR. Charlie Weis’ boy. Could probably start from day 1.

3rd - pick 86 – Mike Hass – WR. Why stop at one WR when the need at the position is great! This guy has Pats written all over him.

4th – pick 106 – Chris Gocong - DE/OLB. BB loves productive players who get it like Gocong does.

4th - pick 118 – Kai Parham – ILB. Al Groh’s boy.

5th – pick 136 – Pat Ross – OC. The local guy. Smart, leader at a good OL program.

6th – pick 191 – Tyrone Culver – Safety. Pat Hill’s boy and secondary teammate of Marshall.

6th – pick 206 – Jon Scifres. PK. Why stop at one PK when the need at the position is great!

7th – pick 229 – Josh Huston. PK. Why stop at two PK's when the need at the position is great!

I like that you drafted two WRs.

Not bad at the top. Williams? maybe.

Three kickers- never.

I like that you had fun with it, anyway

Marshall, Hass, Ross and Culver are a nice set of picks.

Recognize that with Sanders already on the roster, we have three quarters of the starting Fresno State secondary on the team, after this.

IMO Gocong and Parham are a sad addition to a LB corp that needs a future. Of the two, Parham is the more interesting pick IMO. Gocong is a serious project. By all accounts, Belichick and Groh are not buddies, so that's unlikely to play a factor, except in the negative.

I don't like shrimpy at RB especially with all the carries he already has. I like Maroney or even Addai ahead of him.

OK with Marshall.

Stovall wouldn't be bad but I'd prefer Greg Jennings. A few weeks ago he looked like a 4th rounder, now we may not get him at 3a.

Hass, Gocong, Parham, Ross I'm fine with. Don't know much about Culver.

I like Huston in the 7th but would take Anthony Schlegal with one of the sixes and probably a NT with the other 6.

I wish I could get Mark Anderson too. Maybe him instead of a the early WR drop Parham to the 5th and take Avant in the 4th. I think he might be there.

Fellas, I can't believe the negative comments on Williams. "Shrimpy" - yeah he's not big and fat like a Ron Dayne but the kid is a football player who gets it. "Poor value"? The guy's got top 10 talent and I'm picking him @ 21 :eek:

The PK selections was to prove a point that I'm worried about the position more than anything. Besides, any picks I make beyond the 5th round would be done with a dart and a board so what the heck.

BF, don't worry about the mileage on Williams' motor. All the Pats will require him for is the the 5 year rookie contract that he signs. Surely he'll be able to put 5 more years in. Then he's gone to the highest bidder anyhow. The key is that he helps us win a SB or two in that timeframe.

Myself, I'm totally stoked at the very real possibility of a Dillon/Williams 1-2 punch at RB. We don't have any RB on the roster who stresses opposing defenses with the fear of speed and home run ability. It's about time we get one. Williams would give us that, and much more. He could spell Dillon and is proven capable of carrying the rock full time. I can see it now. Pound Dillon for 3/4's and then, when the defense is worn down, unleash Williams and his speed on them in the 4th when they are a step too slow to get to him. Or, hand the ball to WIlliams early and often, making the fat defenders have to chase him down. Then, when those fat guys are tired, pound Dillon on them mercilessly to close out games. We wouldn't even need a real #2 WR in such a case. :p

I have another mock in mind with Manny Lawson as my guy @ 21 but it involves a trade up (to grab Williams) but I didn't want to get into unrealistic trading scenarios.

Bobs My Uncle said:
Fellas, I can't believe the negative comments on Williams. "Shrimpy" - yeah he's not big and fat like a Ron Dayne but the kid is a football player who gets it. "Poor value"? The guy's got top 10 talent and I'm picking him @ 21 :eek:
Really nephew robby, "poor value" alludes to the RB position, as far as I'm concerned Reggie da Bush is a poor value in the first, if tempting at 21. Next to 300+ pound linemen, those bitty little 200+ pound RBs take the most abuse. I'm not talking about joints tweaked the wrong way, but plain old fashioned hammer blows to the body. If the average career for a RB is 3 years, and a first round player is chosen for his value to the club, I'm not going to put my penny jar allocation into a RB as a normal matter of course.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Really nephew robby, "poor value" alludes to the RB position, as far as I'm concerned Reggie da Bush is a poor value in the first, if tempting at 21. Next to 300+ pound linemen, those bitty little 200+ pound RBs take the most abuse. I'm not talking about joints tweaked the wrong way, but plain old fashioned hammer blows to the body. If the average career for a RB is 3 years, and a first round player is chosen for his value to the club, I'm not going to put my penny jar allocation into a RB as a normal matter of course.
Gotcha, Boxman.

But dude, I betcha the teams that drafted S Jackson, L Johnson, W McGahee, D McAllister, L Tomlinson, J Lewis, S Alexander, Edge James, Fred Taylor, Warrick Dunn, Eddie George, Marshall Faulk, and Jerome Bettis are glad they didn't consult with you prior to making their 1st round selections :p

good......love williams at 21. Think that they value over need is too great for BB to avoid. But i dont think there is anyway that they take back to back wide recievers.

My suggestion that the Pats might draft more than 1 PK might not be so crazy afterall.

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2006Draft.html

...if you're an NFL team that is looking to take a kicker in the upcoming Draft you better take him before the Patriots pick in the sixth round because it's believed that the Patriots are targeting two kickers Josh Huston and Stephan Gostkowski...the kicker that the Patriots draft will be brought in to battle recently signed veteran Martin Gramatica

It just so happens that Huston and Gostkowski are 2 of the 3 PK's I selected :p

Comments below.
Bobs My Uncle said:
Be gentile.

1st – pick 21 – DeAngelo Williams - RB. Unbelievably, this top 10 talent is available @ 21. BB loves productive players with tremendous talent and skill and this guy epitomizes one. Williams' college consistency points to NFL success, but I don't know how good of a fit he would be for the Pats.

2nd – pick 52 – Richard Marshall – CB. Pat Hill’s boy. Could probably start by mid season. Another good player, but we have 7 CBs on the roster. I don't understand why we would draft another in the 2nd round.

3rd – pick 75 – Maurice Stovall - WR. Charlie Weis’ boy. Could probably start from day 1.Love it.

3rd - pick 86 – Mike Hass – WR. Why stop at one WR when the need at the position is great! This guy has Pats written all over him. We don't need two WRs in a row, I'd rather take a LB here. Spencer Havner would be a good pick.

4th – pick 106 – Chris Gocong - DE/OLB. BB loves productive players who get it like Gocong does. Sleeper pick. Good.

4th - pick 118 – Kai Parham – ILB. Al Groh’s boy. Don't know much about Parham, but he seems like a good developmental prospect.

5th – pick 136 – Pat Ross – OC. The local guy. Smart, leader at a good OL program. Can't say no to that.

6th – pick 191 – Tyrone Culver – Safety. Pat Hill’s boy and secondary teammate of Marshall. We don't need more safeties. There is almost definitely better value here. Perhaps a WR/KR.

7th – pick 229 – Josh Huston. PK. Why stop at two PK's when the need at the position is great! I like us taking one. Not two. Definitely not three. Pick one of these guys and choose some developmental or sleeper picks here. Jeremy Bloom and the like.

Overall, very interesting choices. I like this mock a lot better than some of the others lately.

Last edited:
Bobs My Uncle said:
Gotcha, Boxman.

But dude, I betcha the teams that drafted S Jackson, L Johnson, W McGahee, D McAllister, L Tomlinson, J Lewis, S Alexander, Edge James, Fred Taylor, Warrick Dunn, Eddie George, Marshall Faulk, and Jerome Bettis are glad they didn't consult with you prior to making their 1st round selections :p
Yes, yes, charming fellows all. And I do see three Super Bowl rings there. But be truthful, would you rather have Vince or S Jackson? McGahee or Ty Warren? Tomlinson or Seymour? McAllister or Seymour? Matt Light is a second rounder the year Lewis was taken in round one, would you really want Lewis over Light? Both took their teams to the Super Bowl their rookie years...interesting comparisons when you ponder the question. ;)

Bobs My Uncle said:
My suggestion that the Pats might draft more than 1 PK might not be so crazy afterall.

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2006Draft.html

It just so happens that Huston and Gostkowski are 2 of the 3 PK's I selected :p
"it's believed that the Patriots are targeting two kickers Josh Huston and Stephan Gostkowski...the kicker that the Patriots draft will be brought in to battle recently signed veteran Martin Gramatica"

Pick one please. :D

drpatriot said:
Overall, very interesting choices. I like this mock a lot better than some of the others lately.
Thanks for commenting.

I'll answer your questions because they were my questions too prior to deciding on this mock :D

drpatriot said:
Williams' college consistency points to NFL success, but I don't know how good of a fit he would be for the Pats.

Exact same thing I thought until I remembered what BB said after helplessly trying to defend a SD Charger RB who Williams reminds me of tremendously. I recall BB saying something to the effect "that guy (LT) stresses your defense in so many different ways that it's near impossible to contain him nevermind stop him" This was right after LT ran roughshod over BB's defense a few years ago. This got me thinking that if BB couldn't design a defense to stop such a RB then it would make sense that he'd very likely want to have such a RB at his disposal to unleash at opposing defenses. Now, I know people will say "but Williams isn't LT" so the situation isn't relevant. But I happen to think Williams could be a very similar RB to LT and present very similar worries and concerns that LT presents to defense right now. A 1-2 punch with he and Dillon would be killer, IMHO.

drpatriot said:
Another good player, but we have 7 CBs on the roster. I don't understand why we would draft another in the 2nd round.

I too counted the number of CB's we have and was about to include Colledge at this spot instead but then quickly started shaking when I thought back to the last two years injury history with this CB group. Then I very quickly penciled Marshall back down.

drpatriot said:
We don't need two WRs in a row, I'd rather take a LB here. Spencer Havner would be a good pick.
Checking the roster depth out here I saw that we had 1 sure thing WR and a bunch of major ? thereafter. I solved the 2nd WR spot with Stovall earlier but I saw a rapidly aging Troy staring at me looking for replacement. I wasn;t oo long finding Hass as our next Troy.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Yes, yes, charming fellows all. And I do see three Super Bowl rings there. But be truthful, would you rather have Vince or S Jackson? McGahee or Ty Warren? Tomlinson or Seymour? McAllister or Seymour? Matt Light is a second rounder the year Lewis was taken in round one, would you really want Lewis over Light? Both took their teams to the Super Bowl their rookie years...interesting comparisons when you ponder the question. ;)
The inclusion of those RB's wasn't done to draw a comparison with other draft picks in terms of ability and /or performance but, rather, was done to demonstrate to you that those RB's (most of which are/were elite) would make your "RB injury/value" argument look rather foolish.

Box_O_Rocks said:
"it's believed that the Patriots are targeting two kickers Josh Huston and Stephan Gostkowski...the kicker that the Patriots draft will be brought in to battle recently signed veteran Martin Gramatica"
Pick one please. :D
Yes, re-reading that I see my error.

At that point in the draft BB doesn't even care if he makes his pick on time ..... I'm still picking 3 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents