PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Almost 1/2 of @Pats on 01,03,04 report brain injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOAT should thank them for their service

While many of the former players remain functional and some say they filed claims chiefly as insurance against future cognitive problems...

The number is higher than one might expect because former plays want to be on record now in case they develop symptoms in the future.

it's too bad that will all of the technology we have, we haven't created a better helmet yet to minimize this.

I just don't think it's possible. You'd have to re-engineer the human skull. Human beings just aren't designed to deliver and take repeated blows to the head and still live for a long time with cognitive functions intact.

I just don't think it's possible. You'd have to re-engineer the human skull. Human beings just aren't designed to deliver and take repeated blows to the head and still live for a long time with cognitive functions intact.

Deep down, I think that's what most of us fear.
Still, they can continue to lessen the odds a little.
I think a big problem going forward is a lot of parents, including many who played football themselves, don't want their kids playing the game.
That is likely to play a part in football losing some mass appeal, maybe 10-15 years from now.

I have issues with the insinuation that because they were Patriots they have brain injuries, a more appropriate headline would read:

Almost half the players on Patriots' first three Super Bowl Winners who played football since they were very young say they have brain injuries

Otoh "Pyssant Reimers" effort to somehow begin his redemption tour falls short as most of the information is gathered from the efforts of Bob Hohler.. cut and paste.

Hohler's article here..

The 342 former Patriots who have sued the NFL and helmet maker Riddell - The Boston Globe

Well, both articles are posted at the top of the page. I just copied the title of the article.
I don't think it insinuates anything at all about the Patriots. It does insinuate a lot about the NFL game. I would bet if you polled the players from all 32 teams who played then, you'd come up with similar #'s.

I think defensive backs would be a position that would have a lot of head trauma. I read a story the other day about a safety that played only 5 years and he's a mess. It was really depressing especially for the families and the worst part is there's a lot of former players with this that we don't hear about.

It's certainly under attack. I talk to more parents who are concerned about health issues than I can count.
There’s always going to be people who want to play, but you do wonder if the quality of talent decreases over time due to less high talent wanting to play the game.

The number is higher than one might expect because former plays want to be on record now in case they develop symptoms in the future.
Key context.

What’s interesting to remember though is that there are countless players who do wind up long lives despite playing the game.

A while back, I was curious and looked up on Wikipedia info about a team that won the NFL Championship in the 1940’s (can’t remember the team). I assumed a lot of players from that team would’ve died at a young age, but to my surprise most of the players lived into their 80’s, even 90’s. Granted, the players were nowhere near as strong back then, but yet the protection worn was also much worse as well.

I think what should be remembered is to not act like it’s certainty that a player will have serious mental health issues from playing the sport. We’ve turned it into a narrative where if you play football, your head will be mush by age 50.

There’s a risk involved that we need to take seriously. There has been several tragic cases over the years that shouldn’t be ignored. But life involves risk, and people should be able to weigh out those risks and should consider what great things the sport can provide as well.

There’s always going to be people who want to play, but you do wonder if the quality of talent decreases over time due to less high talent wanting to play the game.
I would guess yes. I see kids quitting now after concussions. I was lucky enough to not have that issue at home, my son never had one.

That's what happened with boxing. The best potential boxers started going into football and basketball a decade or two after desegregation and that was that.

Well, both articles are posted at the top of the page. I just copied the title of the article.
I don't think it insinuates anything at all about the Patriots. It does insinuate a lot about the NFL game. I would bet if you polled the players from all 32 teams who played then, you'd come up with similar #'s.

Not criticizing you, just the lazy, disengenuous journalism of "Pyssant Reimer"... he essentially stole Hohler's work.

I have to admit my enthusiasm for football has been significantly decreased because of all this. Seeing Cooks laid out unconscious during the SB was tough.

Articles like these make me believe that American football as we know it is truly the last "Gladiator Spectator" sport. Don't think we will have the NFL in 3-4 decades.....kids at the Pop Warner level have stopped playing and mostly play soccer....it won't be long before kids stop playing in High School....

Articles like these make me believe that American football as we know it is truly the last "Gladiator Spectator" sport. Don't think we will have the NFL in 3-4 decades.....kids at the Pop Warner level have stopped playing and mostly play soccer....it won't be long before kids stop playing in High School....
MMA may replace it for a short run, until it too shows that violent hits to the head lead to bad outcomes.

I don't agree that the "..repetitive, subconcussive trauma "occurs..on EVERY play.
I assume that requires helmet contact. That doesn't happen with pretty much every position on every play. Much less than that. Just having body collisions has never been shown to cause cte.
The repetitive subconcussive stuff is more like what boxers deal with: numerous head shots which don't cause concussions but take a serious toll because of the sheer number of them.

I didn't say it happens to every player on every play. I said it happens on every play, which is true especially at the LOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes