PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC Quarterbacks: Rank Based On Who You’d Want To Build Around

Jezz I wrote that 14 months ago.

I don't think i'd change it except maybe flip-flop Allen and Burrow but that's splitting hairs.
Didn't realize this thread was that old.

Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Lawrence
Herbert

• Josh Allen (25)
  • Joe Burrow (25)
  • Derek Carr (30)
  • Justin Herbert (23)
  • Lamar Jackson (25)
  • Mac Jones (23)
  • Trevor Lawrence (22)
  • Patrick Mahomes (26)
  • Baker Mayfield (26)
  • Tua Tagovailoa (23)
  • Deshaun Watson (26)
Obviously Mayfield is off this list. No way on Tua with the concussions too. Carr is ok, I'd take him over Mac, but I'm not building a franchise around him. Mac doesn't belong on this list either. I'm a wait and see on Watson at this point, he was alarmingly rusty last season.

Here's my full list in order:

Patrick Mahomes
Josh Allen
Joe Burrow
Jalen Hurts
Lamar Jackson
Justin Herbert
Justin Fields
Trevor Lawrence

That's it. There aren't any other QBs in the league that I would commit to building around at this point.

Let’s say the league decides every AFC quarterback is now subject to a special draft, and you, as GM, need to come up with an order of priority. You would be building the whole a team, so you’re not getting the rest of the offense/coaches the QB currently plays for.

Let’s just take the money part out of it. All current contracts are voided, and cost considerations aren’t a factor since in this exercise. Every QB gets a the same contract.

You certainly can - and should - factor in age and potential development/decline. All things should be considered (like Watson’s legal problems, attitude, risk.)
  • Josh Allen (25)
  • Joe Burrow (25)
  • Derek Carr (30)
  • Justin Herbert (23)
  • Lamar Jackson (25)
  • Mac Jones (23)
  • Trevor Lawrence (22)
  • Patrick Mahomes (26)
  • Baker Mayfield (26)
  • Tua Tagovailoa (23)
  • Deshaun Watson (26)
  • The #1 overall pick in the NFL Draft (you can choose to exercise your option in any year, whether it’s 2022, 2023, etc. But you’ll have a stopgap, backup type like Wentz or Bridgewater until then.)

Mahomes, it isn’t close for me. Losing Hill and continuing to play at the highest level showed that he has the ability to raise those around him to championship levels, even when they lose key pieces. Combined with all of his other abilities, and intangibles like his ability to consistently make big plays at the most critical times makes him the best QB in football, and he’s still only 26.

Mahomes, it isn’t close for me. Losing Hill and continuing to play at the highest level showed that he has the ability to raise those around him to championship levels, even when they lose key pieces. Combined with all of his other abilities, and intangibles like his ability to consistently make big plays at the most critical times makes him the best QB in football, and he’s still only 26.
Mahomes is an amazing football player, he deserves to be on top of a lot of lists, but you have to give Andy Reid a ton of credit for continuously filling out the roster with quality pieces and being the best offensive coordinator of his era.

Mahomes is an amazing football player, he deserves to be on top of a lot of lists, but you have to give Andy Reid a ton of credit for continuously filling out the roster with quality pieces and being the best offensive coordinator of his era.
Animated GIF

Not really. What have any of Brady's offensive coordinators accomplished without him? A big fat nothing. In fact I'm nearly convinced dunderhead McDaniels is completely worthless. His coaching career is a train wreck away from Brady. Poor Byron Leftwich can't even find a job as an assistant waterboy and he won a Super Bowl two seasons ago.

I think we've seen the extent of Belichick's ability to impact an offense 2020-2022. Woefully comes to mind. And don't get me started on the BB personnel blunders over the same timeframe that Reid has been waving a magic wand in KC.

Not really. What have any of Brady's offensive coordinators accomplished without him? A big fat nothing. In fact I'm nearly convinced dunderhead McDaniels is completely worthless. His coaching career is a train wreck away from Brady. Poor Byron Leftwich can't even find a job as an assistant waterboy and he won a Super Bowl two seasons ago.

I think we've seen the extent of Belichick's ability to impact an offense 2020-2022. Woefully comes to mind. And don't get me started on the BB personnel blunders over the same timeframe that Reid has been waving a magic wand in KC.
Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

Here, Smeagol, I fixed it for you.
Mahomes Tom Brady is an amazing football player, he deserves to be on top of all lists, but you have to give Andy Reid Bill Belichick a ton of credit for continuously filling out the roster with quality pieces over a 20 year period.

does money also factor in?

i just read "let's take money out of it" - you cannot take money out of it, not in today's NFL.......cap hit can be manipulated, but it still matters........there's a reason why Lamar isn't signed, and it's because he is over valuing himself, and his cap hit/cost will not justify his performance over the life of the contract, and it will limit a team's ability to build around him

without money in the discussion, it's a useless discussion

1679507814444.gif
I only care whether Mac is a guy around whom the Pats can build. Otherwise we’re just playing make-believe. The Patriots need to give fans here something new/relevant to talk about ASAP.

Obviously Mayfield is off this list. No way on Tua with the concussions too. Carr is ok, I'd take him over Mac, but I'm not building a franchise around him. Mac doesn't belong on this list either. I'm a wait and see on Watson at this point, he was alarmingly rusty last season.

Here's my full list in order:

Patrick Mahomes
Josh Allen
Joe Burrow
Jalen Hurts
Lamar Jackson
Justin Herbert
Justin Fields
Trevor Lawrence

That's it. There aren't any other QBs in the league that I would commit to building around at this point.
Jalen hurts and fields are in NFC.. what a weak conference.. we have the top 3 here in AFC.. mahomes, Allen and Burrow and real ascending ones in Lawrence and Herbert and unicorns in Watson and Lamar for now... That's 7 solid QBs who would possibly be top 10 across NFL in AFC.

Mahomes
Herbert
Allen
Burrow
Watson
Jackson
Lawrence
Jones
Tua
Carr
Mayfield
Probably bump Burrow up a spot or two but I pretty much still feel the same about this list.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back