PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Rodgers on IR - Teams complain

Yorkshire Pat

On the Roster
Reaction score
The story about teams saying rodgers should have to be cut due to being placed on IR without a new injury.
My question is what did they gain by putting him on IR and possibly breaking a rule, could they have just not played him and let his back up play. They still have to pay him dont they?
thx

Can you imagine the ****storm if the Patriots had done that?

They're cheating again!

BSPN would blow this up.

My guess is sine it's GB, we hear very little about this today and going forward.

Wonder what Bennett thinks about this... you know, since GB tried to shame him for actually wanting to go on IR for a shoulder injury and cut him instead... oh yeah, and the Pats somehow cheated by getting him back?

Now Rodgers is injured and the Packers IR him without a new injury which is the opposite of what they did with Bennett and everyone was against Bennett at that time. Maybe Green Bay just has no idea what they’re doing with injuries? Or, maybe - they just don’t care about the rules and do what they want?

The story about teams saying rodgers should have to be cut due to being placed on IR without a new injury.
My question is what did they gain by putting him on IR and possibly breaking a rule, could they have just not played him and let his back up play. They still have to pay him dont they?
thx
Link?

I know there's no chance in hell, but if he became a free agent due to a technicality it would be hilarious. Of course, he would stay in GB, but not before becoming the most expensive NFL player ever.

Ok...I figured AR would play if the Pack was still in playoff contention this Sunday.

I didn't realize there was a rule which prevented teams from doing what the Pack are being accused of doing.

Funny how the league deferred question to GB. They are not interested in investigating this.

If they are guilty of this, at a minimum they should be fined and potentially a pick taken away.

This is roster manipulation. Plain and simple. There might be cap advantages as well.

Last edited:
I......I just don't believe what the Packers have to say.....

View attachment 18939

You know, I always thought mark Brunell the player was a tough scrappy hard nosed qb that took that upstart 96 jags squad as far as they could go. And then we find out that mark Brunell the analyst was such a soft little b****. Laughed my ass off when he was brought to tears over everything.

Ok...I figured AR would play if the Pack was still in playoff contention this Sunday.

I didn't realize there was a rule which prevented teams from doing what the Pack are being accused of doing.

Funny how the league deferred question to GB. They are not interested in investigating this.

If they are guilty of this, at a minimum they should be fined of not a pick taken away.

This is roster manipulation. Plain and simple. There might be cap advantages as well.

You're right, it is roster manipulation. In my opinion, though, it should be within the rules to do whatever you want with the IR (including take players off with no limits) as long as the player is on board. I assume that last caveat about the player is why the rules exist, though.

But in general, why ban strategy?

Worth pointing out - for how often we hear about “Foxboro Flu” with the accusation that the Pats mysteriously come up with injuries to stash end-of-roster players - this is kind of exactly that but at a much higher level.

If they're clever enough to have found a loophole in the IR rules, kudos to them.
If it's a violation, I expect sanctimonious Bobby Kraft to insist they lose a #1 pick "for the good of the league".
The same approach he took with his own team, with Dallas, etc.

Last edited:
You're right, it is roster manipulation. In my opinion, though, it should be within the rules to do whatever you want with the IR (including take players off with no limits) as long as the player is on board. I assume that last caveat about the player is why the rules exist, though.

But in general, why ban strategy?

Because then otherwise you just have a stash of players you can use whenever you feel like it and switch them in and out for IR'd players with "injuries" as needed. Unless they set a minimum for IR players they might as well not even have it and just allow teams to have unlimited rosters as long as they are under the cap.

I know there's no chance in hell, but if he became a free agent due to a technicality it would be hilarious. Of course, he would stay in GB, but not before becoming the most expensive NFL player ever.
Wouldn’t he hit waivers?

In this hypothetical situation, I don't think he'd stay in GB. His frustration about the team's avoidance of free agents is pretty clear. Also being stuck in GB all those years has to be grating on him. It really is in the middle of nowhere, and he's a Cali boy. There would be a god-awful bidding war and he'd have his pick of a number of different teams to land on. Presumably that's why the NFL is looking the other way on this abuse of IR rules. Without star power, GB becomes just another small market NFL, in essence the Buffalo of the Midwest. I started watching NFL in the mid 70s and till Favre came around in the 90s that is in essence what GB was.

Wouldn’t he hit waivers?

If he wasn't on IR, but he apparently can't be released until he is healthy which would be in the off season which would make him a free agent allowed to sign where ever he wanted.

Because then otherwise you just have a stash of players you can use whenever you feel like it and switch them in and out for IR'd players with "injuries" as needed. Unless they set a minimum for IR players they might as well not even have it and just allow teams to have unlimited rosters as long as they are under the cap.

I suppose that doesn't sound like the worst idea in the world to me.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back