PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Toast to Bill Belichick

Grier? That's a new one what's the logic on that?
Story here: The unsung heroes who spurred the Patriots to draft Tom Brady when no other team wanted to

Basically Belichick wanted the scouts to go in-depth on every position, even those that seemed to look good like QB. So Grier (who was still player personnel director for this draft) did homework on Brady - apparently the only NFL front office guy who actually called Michigan about him. Belichick still ultimately made the pick, relying on Grier’s work and Rehbein’s input.

Really no different than how every draft pick should be selected.

pièce de résistance

462643200.jpg.0.jpg
Like AND bonus points for adding the accents ! Félicitations !

That's a massive understatement of Belichick's influence on Brady's career. On any other team with a highly paid star QB, Brady would have never gotten past backup until the retirement of said star. He might have emerged somewhere after leaving as a FA in his 5th year, and maybe even won a SB somewhere, but he'd not be anywhere near the GOAT conversations if Belichick hadn't seen something and pushed back against massive pressure to keep Bledsoe in place for the 2001 playoff run and beyond.
I think Brady’s career probably would have looked similar to Kurt Warner’s in that scenario; would have ultimately made it but have taken a lot longer to get there. Belichick’s past experience with Cleveland really helped him out there, as he dealt with a similar experience with Bernie Kozar and was proven right. If Kozar didn’t happen, would Belichick have had the backing from Kraft and the support of the locker room to go forward with Brady?

That's a massive understatement of Belichick's influence on Brady's career. On any other team with a highly paid star QB, Brady would have never gotten past backup until the retirement of said star. He might have emerged somewhere after leaving as a FA in his 5th year, and maybe even won a SB somewhere, but he'd not be anywhere near the GOAT conversations if Belichick hadn't seen something and pushed back against massive pressure to keep Bledsoe in place for the 2001 playoff run and beyond.
Funny that's kind of how I see it had they never found each other.

Brady probably goes through a team or two on the bench eventually getting his chance and likely he then runs with it all the way to a title or two but gets no where close to 7.

I also think something similar for Bill too. They don't win in 01 but I think that defense was insanely good and Drew still had a few good years in him as he showed in Buffalo they still one of the 2 in 03/04 lead by Seymour, Law, Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison all too good not to get one.

No argument from me but your also although I don't think intentionally underestimating Brady. You're talking about a 6th round pick who Bobby Grier convinced the organization to take. Your talking about an owner in Robert who got laughed at when he traded for Bill. Like Brady Bill was given a chance, a second chance really. Bill HELPED in the winning. He set extraordinary game plans, played guys that we're not even considered NFL level players to some organizations. I appreciate Bill, I'm thankful for Bill but you have to look at the entire picture it's Robert, Bill and Brady who collectively made this thing work and last 19 seasons. Without each other none of this exist.

I bet Tom doesn’t feel that way. So your statement can’t be true
I can remember during one the patiots documentary on NFL network..of bill saying how he had to come up with ways to challenge Brady he said he had times he felt like there was nothing he could do to challenge him as he was so competitive and driven.

Story here: The unsung heroes who spurred the Patriots to draft Tom Brady when no other team wanted to

Basically Belichick wanted the scouts to go in-depth on every position, even those that seemed to look good like QB. So Grier (who was still player personnel director for this draft) did homework on Brady - apparently the only NFL front office guy who actually called Michigan about him. Belichick still ultimately made the pick, relying on Grier’s work and Rehbein’s input.

Really no different than how every draft pick should be selected.
Thanks for this post. Many believe it was just the Magic of the Belichick that made all this happen there were lots of great minds around him during those times. It's not to minimize at any length how great Bill was for us. But I like when facts are spoken and you have done that! Thank you!

Of all of the achievements of the Greatest Coach of All Time, the one that stands out for me is the 2013 season.

By the standards of the Dynasty, it wasn't a season of the greatest success: 12-4, won Division, lost the AFC Championship Game. But it was done in the aftermath of the arrest for murder of one of the starters for the team -- something that was so awful that few of the players could even bring themselves to believe it at first.

What did it take to hold them together and to get them to play competitive football in those circumstances? It's impossible to imagine from the outside. Only a great, great coach (and a great, great organization) could have come through in the way that it did.

I wish he had followed his own principle and left too early rather than too late. Still love what he did for us!

I think Brady’s career probably would have looked similar to Kurt Warner’s in that scenario; would have ultimately made it but have taken a lot longer to get there. Belichick’s past experience with Cleveland really helped him out there, as he dealt with a similar experience with Bernie Kozar and was proven right. If Kozar didn’t happen, would Belichick have had the backing from Kraft and the support of the locker room to go forward with Brady?
The change to Testaverde in Cleveland changed Belichick's fortunes overnight. The difference between the 2 QBs was stark; I did some checking on Testaverde last week when I was looking at BB's QBs and I couldn't believe he went 12-1 with the Jets. No wonder Keyshawn was crying.

Again, this shows the power of the QB. Cleveland was going nowhere, then they switched to Testaverde, they won 11, beat Parcells in the playoffs.

I agree that Belichick's previous experience allowed him to make the switch to Brady.

Very astute remark Hammer.

Thanks for this post. Many believe it was just the Magic of the Belichick that made all this happen there were lots of great minds around him during those times. It's not to minimize at any length how great Bill was for us. But I like when facts are spoken and you have done that! Thank you!
The idea that these people qualify now as great minds is funny when you consider that when they were actually here they were the most vilified and hated employees on the Patriots. I actually think that no one has taken more abuse than Grier while he was a Patriot employee. I can't think of one. Matt Patricia as OC got less abuse.

Bobby Grier was here he was a personnel guy early on as it's said Bill didn't have "total control " early on. Bobby Grier is the one responsible for getting Brady.
I mean, BB cleaned house in the 1st two years. It was pretty hard to get rid of Pro Bowlers like Glenn, Milloy, Woody, even Spires who went on and played great for Tampa. He replaced them with UDFAs and unwanteds on the OL, scrap heap safeties and the likes of David Patten. Those were major decisions so it's clear he had control.

The idea that these people qualify now as great minds is funny when you consider that when they were actually here they were the most vilified and hated employees on the Patriots. I actually think that no one has taken more abuse than Grier while he was a Patriot employee. I can't think of one. Matt Patricia as OC got less abuse.
Wow. I didn't know that. I know during the Pete Carroll era the talk of Kraft giving the players bologna and cheese sandwiches, and being so cheap with the facilities. That's funny LOL Patricia got more praise and appreciation than Grier or another personnel person.

No argument from me but your also although I don't think intentionally underestimating Brady. You're talking about a 6th round pick who Bobby Grier convinced the organization to take. Your talking about an owner in Robert who got laughed at when he traded for Bill. Like Brady Bill was given a chance, a second chance really. Bill HELPED in the winning. He set extraordinary game plans, played guys that we're not even considered NFL level players to some organizations. I appreciate Bill, I'm thankful for Bill but you have to look at the entire picture it's Robert, Bill and Brady who collectively made this thing work and last 19 seasons. Without each other none of this exist.
You severely underrate Belichick.

The idea he "helped" the winning.

That first Super Bowl win was a Belichick production start to finish. No other coach could have won with that team, not even Lombardi.

Wow. I didn't know that. I know during the Pete Carroll era the talk of Kraft giving the players bologna and cheese sandwiches, and being so cheap with the facilities. That's funny LOL Patricia got more praise and appreciation than Grier or another personnel person.
Grier was destroyed on boards like this. He was hated with an absolute passion. I guess it wasn't very different than other teams who hate their GMs, but this is a problem and situation New England hasn't had in 23 years. So when a GM takes over and they are in total control, we're going to get a taste for the kind of criticism Grier was subjected to for 4 years.

I mean, BB cleaned house in the 1st two years. It was pretty hard to get rid of Pro Bowlers like Glenn, Milloy, Woody, even Spires who went on and played great for Tampa. He replaced them with UDFAs and unwanteds on the OL, scrap heap safeties and the likes of David Patten. Those were major decisions so it's clear he had control.
Greg spires! I remember him met him at the south sure plaza in Braintree before. Glenn had great rookie season and then became injury prone. We all know what Bill says about that. Availability is the best ability. I'm going to miss seeing ol Bill on the sidelines. Like Brady there will be no singular coach who can come here and top the success.

Funny that's kind of how I see it had they never found each other.

Brady probably goes through a team or two on the bench eventually getting his chance and likely he then runs with it all the way to a title or two but gets no where close to 7.

I also think something similar for Bill too. They don't win in 01 but I think that defense was insanely good and Drew still had a few good years in him as he showed in Buffalo they still one of the 2 in 03/04 lead by Seymour, Law, Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison all too good not to get one.
It's impossible to say what would've happened in 01 but Bledsoe QB'ed the AFCCG win over the Steelers. That was really all defense and special teams that day.

The Super Bowl was really just 2 offensive drives at the end of each half and nothing much else from the offense.

I think Bledsoe could've managed that

Last edited:
You severely underrate Belichick.

The idea he "helped" the winning.

That first Super Bowl win was a Belichick production start to finish. No other coach could have won with that team, not even Lombardi.
Your right, I didn't intentionally underrate Bill. I was just trying to get my thoughts out. I wasn't meaning for it to come across as I was minimizing what Bill did.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back