PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Look At Pats Drafting Trends

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertime

On the Roster
Reaction score
Saw this article about past trends for Patriots drafts.

I can't post a link, but if you google "Draft day cheat sheet Part 1: A look at the Patriots" you should be able to find it I suppose.

Thoughts? It seems well-researched, though I'm not sure we only look at white safeties lol.

Great article. But what about Brian Hoyer?

Some running thoughts as I read...

The Patriots seem to like their quarterbacks big; they have not drafted nor signed a rookie quarterback under 6 foot 4 since Rohan Davey became a Pat in 2002.

Say what? Isn't Brian Hoyer 6'2"?

Some think that C.J. Spiller or Jahvid Best could be just what the doctor ordered on offense, as they both would provide an infusion of speed that would serve to diversify the Patriots’ offensive sets. However, neither seems to be a likely possibility...They seem to not value single-down greyhound scatbacks as highly as guys who can ground the ball out for plays at a time and wear down the defense.

But how much of that comes from the fact that they've had Kevin Faulk the entire time? They make plenty of use of a 3rd-down back -- does anybody really think that they'll go with nothing but big between-the-tackles types once Kevin's gone?

he most intriguing option for the Patriots, however, may be Deji Karim of Southern Illinois, a 5 foot 10, 210 pounder who blazed a 4.40 40 and could provide that ever so elusive size-speed combination teams look for.

Totally agree on this one. (But isn't he one of those scatbacks you just ruled out? Or does passing the magic 200-lb mark change everything?)

The Patriots definitely have their own brand of offensive lineman though, and it is pretty obvious what they like. They want intelligent guys who can block the sun and know where to place their hands.

This is a little curious to me, especially the "block the sun" part. The Pats have generally placed quickness and athleticism above size, and the author doesn't refer to those qualities at all.

Later in the draft, the Patriots may look for a pass-rushing defensive end to bring in as a rotational guy for Ty Warren, so keep an eye on Kade Weston from Georgia.

Very nice sleeper pick.

This guy seems pretty clueless. It's nuts to make generalizations just looking at the heights and weights of draftees. At the same time, he takes the one instance in which the Patriots have said openly that they like a specific physical prototype -- the 6'4" long-armed OLB with 4.6 speed -- and dismissed it as "bollocks." Not only should we all disapprove of British jargon being used in a football article, but it's just flat-out wrong. The Pats clearly do like their OLBs to be tall, rangy guys; that Banta-Cain got drafted in the seventh round is hardly proof of the opposite.

Meanwhile he dismisses Corey Wootten because the Patriots allegedly do not draft DEs or DLs under 300 pounds. Well, except Jarvis Green, of course. And Kareem Brown. And Dan Klecko. And apparently we like to draft OLs who block the sun -- except Clint Oldenburg, Dan Stevenson, Mike Elgin, Adrian Klemm, and Dan Koppen, who were all undersized linemen.

What a joke.

Very nice sleeper pick.

I have had my eye on Kade for a long time now and he is raw, very raw, but if coached up properly, he could be a legitimate PT rotational player in the base defense.

Draft Tendency in two words
TRADE DOWN

I can't post a link, but if you google "Draft day cheat sheet Part 1: A look at the Patriots" you should be able to find it I suppose.

Thoughts? It seems well-researched, though I'm not sure we only look at white safeties lol.

The ILB from TCU is starting to generate a buzz, and a lot of poeple are comparing the buzz to the same late buzz Mayo generated.

Would BB take him at #22? If there are no D Line guys available and he can't trade out, then he could be a possibility. But is he an upgrade over Guyton?

I am going to hold him to his Dunlap to Miami prediction because I really want Dunlap for the Pats.

I have had my eye on Kade for a long time now and he is raw, very raw, but if coached up properly, he could be a legitimate PT rotational player in the base defense.

I don't think it's raw as much as lazy. Chronic underachiever. Yet that body type will get him drafted somewhere.

I don't think it's raw as much as lazy. Chronic underachiever. Yet that body type will get him drafted somewhere.

As a 7th rounder or UDFA, his leash will be short, but if he steps up, he could be a keeper.

hoyer was not drafted he was signed as a FA

yep, but the author explicitly included udfa's in his (mis)statement.

It's nuts to make generalizations just looking at the heights and weights of draftees.

This is my big complaint too. There are some positions (OT, CB) where the Pats have a very consistent draft profile, with size being the least of the concerns.

Are there any negatives with Dunlap other than the DUI and "maturity" issues??? Am I correct in saying that he is a legitimate top 5-10 talent?

Are there any negatives with Dunlap other than the DUI and "maturity" issues??? Am I correct in saying that he is a legitimate top 5-10 talent?

Lack of motor and lack of consistency. Big red flags for me.

The author of that is a moderator and respected poster on another football forum. I do believe people made some similar comments when he posted it on there.

As for Dunlap, I wouldn't mind, but I still see a trade down at 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down