PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A couple of things to consider (draft related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
a couple of things I have been thinking about regarding this year’s Draft, as well as the 2021 Draft.

1) Whether or not there will be an NFL season in 2020, and how that affects the way teams pick prospects? For instance, do you take big linemen who could blow up if they have no football until fall 2021? And do you focus more on intangibles like self motivation and leadership qualities, or disregard it and give more priority to upside and athleticism?

2) If there is no college football season then teams will go into the 2021 Draft having to Draft off of 2019 tape, with a combine, most likely. So do you bet on no college season, and a seriously limited Draft capacity in 2021, and unload picks from next year to either acquire veteran players , or to add picks to the 2nd and 3rd rounds in this Draft.

a couple of things I have been thinking about regarding this year’s Draft, as well as the 2021 Draft.

1) Whether or not there will be an NFL season in 2020, and how that affects the way teams pick prospects? For instance, do you take big linemen who could blow up if they have no football until fall 2021? And do you focus more on intangibles like self motivation and leadership qualities, or disregard it and give more priority to upside and athleticism?

2) If there is no college football season then teams will go into the 2021 Draft having to Draft off of 2019 tape, with a combine, most likely. So do you bet on no college season, and a seriously limited Draft capacity in 2021, and unload picks from next year to either acquire veteran players , or to add picks to the 2nd and 3rd rounds in this Draft.
1)I doubt teams do anything different. Just as many RB eat there way out of the league as linemen. All that stuff is already factored into your grade/evaluation.

2)About a week or so I answered this in my draft thread. I don't see much changing. SR will declare, some will stay in shape, others won't. There will be a regular or supplemental draft of some kind.

BGC - If there is no college season does this mean you get to put your feet up and take it easy and watch something else :)

Seriously as the draft approaches just a word of thanks for the work you do. It makes life a lot easier for us outwith the USA by allowing us to check out the notable players and be more informed for when the draft actually happens. Hopefully Sky tv over hear will be covering the event

BGC - If there is no college season does this mean you get to put your feet up and take it easy and watch something else :)

Seriously as the draft approaches just a word of thanks for the work you do. It makes life a lot easier for us outwith the USA by allowing us to check out the notable players and be more informed for when the draft actually happens. Hopefully Sky tv over hear will be covering the event
It'll be weird for sure but I have a feeling we'll get something even if its a delayed season later in the year or early next year.
I'll watch as much tape from 2018-2019 as I can if that the case and adjust like everyone else.

No problem. I actually dropped the ball this year and didn't bring my A game in the draft forum. Life happens. Anyway appreciate it and thank you. Look forward to keeping it up and getting back on track.

This seems like the spot to put this.

Realistically, how many draft picks will Belichick make? Does he trade up throughout the draft and consolidate his 12 picks into 10 or fewer? Or, does he keep trading down and make more than 12 with the idea of building depth throughout the roster? Or is it some combination of both, along with pushing some picks into next year, of which the Patriots already have 12 (including comp picks)?

While I think the idea of volume drafting is useful, I'd try to consolidate and get 8-10 better players this year and hope they can plug some holes.

This seems like the spot to put this.

Realistically, how many draft picks will Belichick make? Does he trade up throughout the draft and consolidate his 12 picks into 10 or fewer? Or, does he keep trading down and make more than 12 with the idea of building depth throughout the roster? Or is it some combination of both, along with pushing some picks into next year, of which the Patriots already have 12 (including comp picks)?

While I think the idea of volume drafting is useful, I'd try to consolidate and get 8-10 better players this year and hope they can plug some holes.
While your thinking may be logical, this is not the way the Patriots operate. They would
rather draft ten or so players and have Detriot, Miami, the Giants, and Tennessee claim
several of them when the Patriots cut to 53.

BGC - Just a question if you dont mind....if this years draft is high on WR's then what is the forecast for which position(s) were going to be high in 2021 , assuming the college season is going ahead. Just wanted to get a wider picture than what is happening this year.

When using "high" this is not meant to be referencing illegal substances......lol:eek:

BGC - Just a question if you dont mind....if this years draft is high on WR's then what is the forecast for which position(s) were going to be high in 2021 , assuming the college season is going ahead. Just wanted to get a wider picture than what is happening this year.

When using "high" this is not meant to be referencing illegal substances......lol:eek:
Overall I think it'll be better if players are allowed to play, which I think they will at some point. Even if its late 2020/Early 2021. No way they don't go down without a big fight.

QB looks like it could be great. Lawrence, Fields & Lance will go top 5-10. There's about 2-3 others that are borderline first round picks. 6-7 others that are very intriguing. Could pop into the discussion for first, definitely second.

WR looks better. Like this year, top heavy & deep. More talent at the top though which is saying something.

TE is a hell of a lot better. 5-6 legit top 30-40 picks and some under the radar types to most that I'm dying to see break out.

LB looks better at that top for sure but not sure about the depth yet tbh. Looks like 4-5 top 30-40 picks.

RB is hard to say but a ton of talent for sure. Bunch of rec types that are perfect for today's game. I'd say as good.

S is top heavy (at least 5 guys top 20-40 worthy) Can't speak to the depth yet but I've had my eye on a bunch of guys for years.

OL looks slightly better along the interior in terms of depth. Tackle has some really nice blue chip guys at the top. 5 first round picks imo. Overall pick would be Sewell if it wasnt for the QB's.

DL looks ok. Nobody that is head and shoulders above anyone else. Prospects will have to step up.

CB has a bunch of talent but no clear cut guy. Adebo was very high on everyones list coming into the year but had a rough campaign. Mentioned a few times that Gabriel Davis gave him fits and worked him over. I bunch of others did too.
You'll hear names like Mukuamu, Surtain, Jobe, Dean, Lenoir & Samuel Jr (Asante's kid)

Rush looks similar to DL except a bit more talent at the top. Someone will have to step up across the LOS.

It will be very interesting to see what the Patriots do regarding players in the next two drafts. While the 2020 draft is well scouted if there is a shortened season or no season then the 2021 draft will be much harder to evaluate.

If they aren't sold on any of the QBs in this weeks draft then I think they might offer Miami a 2021 4th rounder for Josh Rosen. He's younger than Joe Burrow and a former top 10 pick. Can Josh rescue his talent? He's under contract for two more years at a low price and all his rookie contract bonuses have already been paid.

I'm certain Miami will trade him this draft if they select another QB. This would essentially make Rosen the third QB for the Dolphins who traded a 2nd and a 5th for him.

Miami have a lot of draft picks (too many) in the 2020 draft so if you offer them a decent pick in 2021 they might bite. The Patriots already have future conditional draft picks given the free agents they've lost to Miami and Detroit. I think Rosen could be had for a future 4th rounder.

Now you have another talented QB to compete with Stidham. You can spend this year's picks on other positions and if the season goes ahead as we hope you have another 12 months of evaluating Stidham and Rosen as the QBs of the future and if they don't win the job for the long term the Pats can draft a talent in 2021.

Thanks for the info guys it does help. Just think we will need another 1 or 2 drafts to fill some areas either now or after any potential departures next year. Based on the ESPN games we get to see over here I have heard of and seen Lawrence of Clemson and a WR of LSU ...Chase ?......other than that it is hard to figure out who is applicable for the 2021 draft unless you look at some of the websites eg Walterfootball which may or may not be any good !

Here’s a « thing to consider » :

the League was unable to get the first pick of the mock draft test off w/o tech problems....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes