PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

a Cam - Tebow connection?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is way more likely we will be moving towards more of a Shanahan/McVay zone scheme type of style than an actual QB run-heavy type. McVay and Shanahan seemed both to be able to produce a lot of offense out of average-to-good players.

Agree totally.

Our QB coach is a new hire, Jedd Fisch, after spending 2 years at the Rams as assistant offensive coordinator. If BB and McDaniels were not transitioning to an offensive style more like what McVay/Shanahan use, why hire Fisch to a new position?

It can be argued that McDaniels tried to do the same thing in Denver with Tebow. Obviously you can not do that with a 40+ year old Brady. I do not think it will be a copy of anyone else's system, but a modification of what we are used to with TB. I highly doubt Cam will be running around like Lamar Jackson. I think it will be a uniquely Patriots style as they try to work with a mobile QB, and who knows how sucessful it will be. I also think Stidham is mobile enough to run the new stype offense.

I am spit balling based on 1) the Fisch hire, 2) Cam's comments, 3) McDaniels history, and 4) because I think BB fancies himself an innovator.

Oh yeah Cam will be running all right...for his life, when nobody's open...

I have a hard time believing the offensive coaching staff will incorporate a QB run-heavy offense given Cam's injury history. Not to mention, the guy is a pretty darn good passer of the ball, too.
But here's the thing about that. Regardless of his injury history, opposing teams are going to HAVE to treat Cam as a legitimate run threat. They'd be crazy not to. So what if the Pats use and RPO fake, and Cam rolls to that side. While he may have strict orders NOT to run the ball, the opposition doesn't know that and a LB or DB will have to come up to protect the run threat, and that opens up gaps in the pass defense.

I won't be thrilled to see Cam run a lot either, but he doesn't have to. Just enough to make him a threat. Where Cam SHOULD be a runner is inside the 5. That's where him being a run threat will be most productive

But here's the thing about that. Regardless of his injury history, opposing teams are going to HAVE to treat Cam as a legitimate run threat. They'd be crazy not to. So what if the Pats use and RPO fake, and Cam rolls to that side. While he may have strict orders NOT to run the ball, the opposition doesn't know that and a LB or DB will have to come up to protect the run threat, and that opens up gaps in the pass defense.

I won't be thrilled to see Cam run a lot either, but he doesn't have to. Just enough to make him a threat. Where Cam SHOULD be a runner is inside the 5. That's where him being a run threat will be most productive

I don't think he will or needs to have strict orders NOT to run; he just needs strict orders to SLIDE before contact after the LOS and bail on a play (throwaway) if he rolls out and still has no one open /no run room after extending the play.

Live to play another down & punt to wait for the next series.

Whether he runs or does not is difficult to figure out, he is more mobile than we have seen in a while.. his style is much different than #12's, with this different skill set things will change.. but have no idea where this team is heading as we have not seen them in scrimmages and preseason games.. nit sure he has the skill set for RPO.

The threat of him running, will keep the defenses more honest..

Stay tuned, should prove interesting..

Agree totally.

Our QB coach is a new hire, Jedd Fisch, after spending 2 years at the Rams as assistant offensive coordinator. If BB and McDaniels were not transitioning to an offensive style more like what McVay/Shanahan use, why hire Fisch to a new position?

It can be argued that McDaniels tried to do the same thing in Denver with Tebow. Obviously you can not do that with a 40+ year old Brady. I do not think it will be a copy of anyone else's system, but a modification of what we are used to with TB. I highly doubt Cam will be running around like Lamar Jackson. I think it will be a uniquely Patriots style as they try to work with a mobile QB, and who knows how sucessful it will be. I also think Stidham is mobile enough to run the new stype offense.

I am spit balling based on 1) the Fisch hire, 2) Cam's comments, 3) McDaniels history, and 4) because I think BB fancies himself an innovator.

I agree and I think that's why getting a year to test drive a QB like Cam with a new style offense is also something very appealing to the coaching staff. They get a chance of trying out a lot of assumptions without the normally associated costs and risks.

Completely irrespective of how the season will go they will learn a lot of things that will inform the way they will approach future QB decisions. Even if the ultimate outcome is a disappointing season it might still lead to them doubling down on QB mobility as a much more desirable trait than it was in the past years when scouting talent. On the other hand even if they make the playoffs it might also go the other way if the end product is just too volatile and inconsistent.

Either way.. I haven't been as excited about a season in a long time. Most probably since 2017 when we added Cooks and early looks made it sound like he was tearing it up. Yeah, there was maybe a week of that last year before AB got cut for the troglodyte that he is. But this time there is no expectation attached to any of this. Win or lose I am just curious to see what they will do.

Not really sure why he wouldn’t let Cam run. There are only two realistic options, IMO :
(1) Cam succeeds and signs for huge $ elsewhere
(2) Cam fails and NE doesn’t resign him

Just don’t see a realistic situation where Cam both succeeds and returns to NE next season. I’d use Cam like they used Trent Brown : one year rental. Treat him as such.

Not really sure why he wouldn’t let Cam run. There are only two realistic options, IMO :
(1) Cam succeeds and signs for huge $ elsewhere
(2) Cam fails and NE doesn’t resign him

Just don’t see a realistic situation where Cam both succeeds and returns to NE next season. I’d use Cam like they used Trent Brown : one year rental. Treat him as such.

I’d say it depends how they feel about Stidham.

I’d say it depends how they feel about Stidham.
I don’t see how that is a factor. Are you saying you think there is a realistic scenario that includes Cam succeeding AND signing an extension w NE ? I can’t see it.

I don’t see how that is a factor. Are you saying you think there is a realistic scenario that includes Cam succeeding AND signing an extension w NE ? I can’t see it.

I think they’ll pay him if they think they can win a championship with him and Stidham is not the guy. Why not?

I think they’ll pay him if they think they can win a championship with him and Stidham is not the guy. Why not?
Because if Cam is any good, another team (so, so, so many stupid GMs) with lotsa cap space will overpay and regret it for years.

Don’t think BB is going to become fiscally irresponsible after all these years.

Because if Cam is any good, another team (so, so, so many stupid GMs) with lotsa cap space will overpay and regret it for years.

Don’t think BB is going to become fiscally irresponsible after all these years.

I know we won’t overpay. Maybe Cam totally buys in and wants to stay here even for less. I think if this experiment works out we’ll at least make him some kind of offer....

I agree. I think BB sees Cam as too risky. Cam is passionate which usually spills over to drama given time, 2 shoulder surgeries, and a lot of wear on Cam's tires.

If you are the Bears and had a 2020 decision of 1) Brady 2) Foles 3)Trubisky 4) Newton or 5) rookie from the draft, who do you sign? Brady said No, they were not going to restart with a rookie, so it was Foles or Newton to couple with Trubisky. If Cam is more sucessful than Foles this year, that decision might look completely different in 2021. This is just an example. In 2021 the same decision tree might be at the Bills or Jets.

Why is the Pats decision tree different? Because they believe in Stidham a lot more than Chicago believes in Trubisky, for example. If BB really believes in Newton long-term we will see an adjustment to Cam's deal in the next few months. I doubt it will happen. Saying that I think BB genuinely respects Newton for trying hard and doing all that he can as a Pat this year, just too big of a risk for a long-term contract.

Tim Tebow was the worst quarterback I’ve ever seen play in the NFL. There is no connection.

I would take this bum 7 days a week over Tebow.
Wowwwww. Hahaha. This was very unexpected.

I don’t think Tebow was a good QB, but this is further than I would go. I’d choose Tebow and hold my nose (and ignore his sermon).

I would take this bum 7 days a week over Tebow.
I’ll always appreciate Tebow for that OT touchdown pass to Thomas. Made the Steelers the answer forever to a really embarrassing trivia question. :)

With that said whatever happened to his fans here? Christiancat was cool but funny how most of them vanished after he was cut and after talking about how he will take over for Brady. Lol

I’ll always appreciate Tebow for that OT touchdown pass to Thomas. Made the Steelers the answer forever to a really embarrassing trivia question. :)

With that said whatever happened to his fans here? Christiancat was cool but funny how most of them vanished after he was cut and after talking about how he will take over for Brady. Lol
I remember I was at a work Christmas party with a huge Steelers fan who requested they wheel in a TV into the room. I still remember DT caught that slant and I said “he’s gonna beat Ike Taylor” he didn’t say a word as Thomas streaked down the field for win. He left the room for at least 45 minutes and came back hammered lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes