9th OL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jah

Degeneracy Expert
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going out on a couple limbs here with my post:

1) Wendell will start the season on PUP. I'd very much like for him not to, but I have no crystal ball so I'm going to roll with the status quo instead of assuming something will change.
2) The top 8 OL are set in stone (in no depth order because they all play varying positions anyway) as: Solder, Vollmer, Stork, Cannon, Fleming, Jackson, Mason, Kline. I think the only potential source of disagreement here would be Kline, but I'm not getting into that. The guy is a solid backup and was alright as a starter last year at times. Just my opinion.

Who, then, gets the 9th spot?

Barker - has been with the organization since 2013, even spending all of 2013 on the 53 despite doing pretty much nothing. Seems to play all over the O-line; I've heard of him playing C, G, and now he's doing lots of reps at LT. Unfortunately, he's a trash player and I'm not even considering him as an option.

Andrews - mixed reviews on this guy here. Lots of people say he looks alright, lots of people say he looks too small and weak for NFL competition. We do know that he was a highly coveted UDFA by BB. We also know that BB doesn't care who he coveted a few months ago.

Groy - seems to have played a Kline-like role for CHI last year, making some spot starts and allegedly performing good enough. Just read that he was alright against the Saints on Saturday too, although I didn't pay close attention to the game.

What's everyone think? I'm leaning toward Andrews because I'm of the (completely based in nothing) belief that it's easier to make a C play G than a G play C. However, Kline is also a capable backup center, so if Groy is the better player, I'd probably pick him instead. I just haven't been watching closely enough to know who the better player is.

Last scenario-- what if BB decides all of these guys suck? 8 OL isn't the end of the world, but I know he doesn't do it much.

In reality, we'll probably see him claim some UDFA on waivers at final cuts and stash him on the inactive 53 all season like 2013 Barker.

I think the best 9 are:

Solder, Vollmer, Stork, Cannon, Fleming, Jackson, Mason, Wendell, Kline.

If Wendell can't go then flip a coin and insert one of Andrews, Groy or Barker in his place. Or, wait for someone else to be cut on final cutdown date. If Wendell can go then all 3 of Andrews, Groy or Barker should be "stashable" on the PS.

I like your projected 8 good dept at the Tackle spots with Fleming and Cannon. I love our Rookie Guards who are getting alot of quality reps. That said I think David Andrews is a sure PS candidate I wouldn't waste the roster spot on him. I think based on experience Wendell rounds it out after he's activated off PUP. If BB goes with Ten Ryan Groy intrigues me, love his size at Guard.

OL has waiver claim written all over it.

If Andrews needs more time, might be smart to put him on the PS and have Kline or Barker on the regular roster.

I thought Martin, Groy, and Kline played decent. On another note, I wouldnt be surprised if Flemming is cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots