#51 Passes the Mayo (Torch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomicDawg

Patriot of the Week
Reaction score
Jerod Mayo on his retirement

Jerod Mayo Career Highlights

Nice to see the Patriots honor a guy who has always led by example and always been a class act for his team, his community and his family. 8 years of duty for any one team is a remarkable feat in this day and age. Wish he could continue on but he's got bigger and better things to accomplish. Also there's a cool interview snippet about his possible employment opportunities. Not to mention a cool highlight vid (Jets hit is my fav :D)

Too bad about what happened to him. If only he didn't get injured.

I wonder what people's views are on him making the Patriots hall of fame. Was his career not long enough.

Mayo is a class act on all levels.

He is my favorite Patriot to date.. I feel a lot of people don't fully appreciate what he brought to this organization and thats a real shame. Just an absolute class act, leader and a true Patriot through and through..

You will be missed Jerod

He is my favorite Patriot to date.. I feel a lot of people don't fully appreciate what he brought to this organization and thats a real shame. Just an absolute class act, leader and a true Patriot through and through..

You will be missed Jerod
It's difficult for some to fully appreciate JM. He wasn't a big int or sack guy. He didn't force a ton of turnovers like his contemporaries did such as Willis, etc. What Jerod did was 99.999% of the time get the front 7 lined up properly and prevent yardage gains from being more than they could be every single damn time. Never glamerous or flashy but always critical to the game plan.

If he isn't on those 2009-2012 defenses they are allowing 25 a game. I will believe that till the grave. He was that impactful.

Big fan. Tough, smart, leader, it's a shame he couldn't have been healthier. I'm glad he got a ring before hanging them up.

I wonder what people's views are on him making the Patriots hall of fame. Was his career not long enough.

5-year stretch of excellence to start his career, after which it was injuries and decline.
Superb character, leadership, loyalty, etc.

That should be enough to get him in at some point.

The most recent unsuccessful finalists (Clayborn and Gray) should get in ahead of him. Ditto Seymour and Light. Not necessarily Mankins; that one's close. By the time they're all in, Wilfork should be up too.

On and off the field Mayo was the consummate Patriot... smart, focused and a leader.

During the Tebow brouhaha and all of the associated crap, he was a "spiritual leader" for this team, while he was not doing various gyrations publicly, he chose to do it quietly, humbly..

I wonder if "Miss Mayo" will someday replace Borges or some other tired mediot..

He may not want to be a coach, but somehow believe he will wind up with the Pats in some capacity..

He will never get his props from those who only chase fantasy stats. He was one of the toughest, smartest to ever throw an Elvis over his shoulder. Every team should only be so lucky to have a guy like him line up for their side every Sunday.

I'll miss #51 ..big time. One of my favs all time.

Hoping #54 and #91 fall right inline with the way Mayo paved ... Team over self.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back