PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

45 years ago this afternoon

Actual Pats Fan

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

I am sad to say this despicable, dark day had permanent consequences.

Kraft's resolution never to recognize or honor this team or promote the truth, plus the disappearance of the broadcast tape, empowers the false laughingstock narrative within eternal, national Anti-Patriots Hysteria.

I am sad to say this despicable, dark day had permanent consequences.

Kraft's resolution never to recognize or honor this team or promote the truth, plus the disappearance of the broadcast tape, empowers the false laughingstock narrative within eternal, national Anti-Patriots Hysteria.

I remember watching that travisty, I'll never forget it

Horrible. But out of the ashes….

So glad I was 5 and didn't have to deal with this. Sheer hell of a loss.
It has scarred me for life.

A lesson that injustice is part of life, usually with zero resolution.

My advice to people is to make it your personal business to determine how you live and think and make your beliefs and happiness your priority, regardless of anything else. This is easier for some people to do than it is for others.

"It's only sports." That's true. "It's only politics."

Okay but don't expect me to care about shock and surprise at atrocities like fake scandals and stolen top draft picks.

Horrible. But out of the ashes….
Very classy of Theo Epstein to reference Ernie Banks and Ron Santo in the Cubs' victorious locker room.

'Posthumous rings for the late Ernie Banks and Ron Santo will be saved in the Wrigley Field archives.'

Absolutely zero such class or action taken by Robert Kraft.

APF I love ya and I was pissy the better part of the 70s that people were raving about Bert Jones not Steve Grogan and yes, that was a bad call there. No Sugar Bear Hamilton BS roughing the passer call, no SB for Oakland. Or so everybody says. But the rest of the game was yet to be played.

The difference between the 70s Pats and today's is that you get that bad call on TODAY's Pats, you better just stfu and respond the next play. Look at how many guys over the years have said if it weren't for that BS call etc. There was 4:12 left to play. Every see a BB-era team say "oh man we were behind with 4:12 to play after that call, that knocked the wind right out of us."

And then they go ahead and say so for years and years. I mean, wouldn't "We're on to 1977" be the way the Pats would deal with it now?

"You're always going to get some of those calls going for you, some go against you, every game turns on a few big plays..." blah blah blah.... but what that boils down to is really, "You'll always have the possibility you need to come back from a really bad one and respond."

Truthfully, you weren't scarred by this, you were scarred by that minuteman-helmet-logo attitude... we were always the good guys that got shafted out of our big chance that one time. Also, giving the Fridge a touchdown was classless. Wahhh.

Flying Elvis says, you don't like it, change it. You lost a big one, you win it again next year, or the next, or the next.

Last edited:
And they stopped them until another bs call on 3rd and 1 at the goal.
The Patriots stopped the Raiders on 3rd and 1 near the goal line but another personal foul penalty (this one on Prentice McCray) extended the Raiders drive. Stabler scored on second down. Debacle.

APF I love ya and I was pissy the better part of the 70s that people were raving about Bert Jones not Steve Grogan and yes, that was a bad call there. No Sugar Bear Hamilton BS roughing the passer call, no SB for Oakland. Or so everybody says. But the rest of the game was yet to be played.

The difference between the 70s Pats and today's is that you get that bad call on TODAY's Pats, you better just stfu and respond the next play. Look at how many guys over the years have said if it weren't for that BS call etc. There was 4:12 left to play. Every see a BB-era team say "oh man we were behind with 4:12 to play after that call, that knocked the wind right out of us."

And then they go ahead and say
RTP was only one in the middle of a succession of blatant calls to bail the Raiders out

In fairness about 35 years after that call, the league changed the rules to make that play an actual roughing the passer penalty.

RTP was only one in the middle of a succession of blatant calls to bail the Raiders out
I finished the rest of the post after you posted, it posted before it was ready.

But I gotcha, okay, cruddy game. I was "there" via the magic of television. Raiders fans, what losers, carrying around signs with their own losing score on it. OTOH, here we are talking about the officiating in a game 45 years ago.

I have had a HECK of a 20 years here, better than any fanbase in the NFL ever had... and lo and behold, it looks like it's not over

So yeah okay I hate Ben Dreith, etc. I guess no "but" there. I really did want to win it all in the 70s, didn't happen.

I remember the play where russ francis arms were being held behind his back. Francis had his back to the camera, grogan turned to his right to throw the ball and vilipiano pulled francises arms behind his back like he was going to cuff him. I think the ball hit francis in the chest. The whole game was full of ******** like that. Ive seen hundreds of pats games, unlike some posters here i don't remember most of them, but this one i do. The fix was in, and the tuck game was the make up call. This game is probably the reason i sometimes think and post the the fix is in.

One of our worst ever losses
That 1976 Patriot team should have been Super Bowl Champ
Pity and sad it did not happened

In fairness about 35 years after that call, the league changed the rules to make that play an actual roughing the passer penalty.
Hamilton did not do anything.

That is still not a penalty today.

He tipped the ball and made no contact with Stabler, who dove backwards in fear.

One of our worst ever losses
That 1976 Patriot team should have been Super Bowl Champ
Pity and sad it did not happened
If Robert Kraft ever decides he wants to leave a real football legacy, he will permanently restore the Patriots' logo and uniform established for over thirty years, and give Super Bowl rings to every person associated with the 1976 New England Patriots.

I remember the play where russ francis arms were being held behind his back. Francis had his back to the camera, grogan turned to his right to throw the ball and vilipiano pulled francises arms behind his back like he was going to cuff him. I think the ball hit francis in the chest. The whole game was full of ******** like that. Ive seen hundreds of pats games, unlike some posters here i don't remember most of them, but this one i do. The fix was in, and the tuck game was the make up call. This game is probably the reason i sometimes think and post the the fix is in.
The television replay is from the front angle. Francis is turned around and open. Villapiano is holding both Francis' arms behind his back, as the ball bounces off the '8' and the '1' on his chest. The official is directly to the right staring at them. The absurd generalizing, spinning and marginalization in the narration in the highlights would make politicians blush.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back