4/19 Pat Kirwin new 2 round mock

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This just out from Don Banks at CNNSI:

Mock draft 6.0: Wheeling and dealing come draft day?

For the Pats:

23. Clay Matthews, OLB
34. James Laurinaitis, ILB
47. Darius Butler, CB
58. Jarron Gilbert, DE

Butler at 47 and Gilbert at 58 is fabulous. Both Matthews and Laurinaitis are good players but I don't think either is a terrific fit for the Pats, and together I see them as worse than the sum of the parts - neither is much good at stopping the run and taking on blockers. Not a bad effort though.

If the Pats can grab Butler in the second round, I'm stoked! However, I don't like Clay Matthews and I would rather have English. In fact, Matthews reminds me too much of Bobby Carpenter 2.0. I think Maualuga falls to #34 as well and the Pats can take their pick. However, I doubt Butler lasts until #48. By the way, it's NFL.com Pat Kirwan's mock draft.

Last edited:
Really dont care for Matthews at 23. I'd take multiple other players with that pick but love the Laurinatis and Butler picks.

Kirwan not Banks. These picks are weird for the Patriots, Butler won't be there at 2b but he's a better pick than the two he has us with earlier.

Kirwan not Banks. These picks are weird for the Patriots, Butler won't be there at 2b but he's a better pick than the two he has us with earlier.

Thanks for the correction. Pat Kirwan at NFL.com, not Don Banks at CNNSI. My head cold is really getting to me - time for bed.

For the Pats:

23. Clay Matthews, OLB
47. Darius Butler, CB
58. Jarron Gilbert, DE

Butler at 47 and Gilbert at 58 is fabulous. Both Matthews and Laurinaitis are good players but I don't think either is a terrific fit for the Pats, and together I see them as worse than the sum of the parts - neither is much good at stopping the run and taking on blockers. Not a bad effort though.

Funny, for the first two picks it seems like he buys into the big name/school aspect of the prospect moreso than whether these are guys with the traits that Belichick seeks at their respective positions. I guess anything could happen, but it seems that it's often more difficult to predict a Patriots draft pick than to say they'll take some of the big named guys at positions that fans and media perceive to be of need.

I personally would be surprised to see 2 LB's taken by the Patriots with their 1st two picks. Also I doubt we see all of this picks happen without a trade taking place to move the pieces around.

OK, sign me up.

Butler won't be there, so we would be "forced" to substitute a safety or OG at 47: Wood, Unger, Moore, and Chung are my choices.

OK, sign me up.

Butler won't be there, so we would be "forced" to substitute a safety or OG at 47: Wood, Unger, Moore, and Chung are my choices.

What about Mack, he has a little nastiness to his game????

For the Pats:

23. Clay Matthews, OLB
47. Darius Butler, CB
58. Jarron Gilbert, DE

These latest mocks are depressing me. It does not look like we will have a shot at trading up for Tyson Jackson.

I think that Wood and Unger project better to be starting guards while doubling as backup centers. I see Mack as a starting center for someone, without much flexibility.

What about Mack, he has a little nastiness to his game????

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back