48 - Louis Delmas, S
59 - Jarron Gilbert, DE/DT
62 - James Casey, TE
63 - Sean Smith, CB/S
64 - Eric Wood, OG/C
87 - Pat White, QB/WR
88 - Jamon Meredith, OT/G
96 - Jason Williams, LB

I don't like many of the Pats picks, but if you follow their order (and particularly if you let two players in the 3rd round slip one pick) then you come up with a really nice draft:

23 - Malcolm Jenkins, CB
34 - Connor Barwin, OLB
47 - Louis Delmas, S
58 - Jarren Gilbert, DE
89 - Jamon Meredith, OT/G (slipping one spot)
97 - Jason Williams, LB (slipping one spot)

That would be an amazing first 3 rounds. Hard to imagine doing much better.

I don't know much about these guys, but thought this was interesting:

For the Pats:

23 - Malcolm Jenkins, CB
34 - Percy Harvin, WR
47 - Patrick Chung, S
58 - Duke Robinson, OG
89 - Scott McKillop, ILB
97 - Cedric Peerman, RB

Other notable picks:

24 - Clay Matthews, LB
25 - Larry English, DE/OLB
28 - Donald Brown, RB
30 - Ziggy Hood, DT
31 - Knowshon Moreno, RB
36 - Darius Butler, CB
42 - William Beatty, OT
43 - Connor Barwin, DE/OLB
45 - Eben Britton, OT
46 - William Moore, S
48 - Louis Delmas, S
62 - James Casey, TE
63 - Sean Smith, CB/S
64 - Eric Wood, OG/C
87 - Pat White, QB/WR
96 - Jason Williams, LB

I don't like many of the Pats picks, but if you follow their order (and particularly if you let two players in the 3rd round slip one pick) then you come up with a really nice draft:

23 - Malcolm Jenkins, CB
34 - Connor Barwin, OLB
47 - Louis Delmas, S
58 - Jarren Gilbert, DE

Hey Mayo give me a sceneario where we dont draft Barwin or Raji and we dont trade one of the first two picks. For Example, the imposible happens and Raji goes to the Broncos and Barwin to the Phins because they trade up. No team wants #23 for some odd reason and we are stuck you can pick any player(realisticly)who would it be? 23? 34?

Hey Mayo give me a sceneario where we dont draft Barwin or Raji and we dont trade one of the first two picks. For Example, the imposible happens and Raji goes to the Broncos and Barwin to the Phins because they trade up. No team wants #23 for some odd reason and we are stuck you can pick any player(realisticly)who would it be? 23? 34?

There are lots of players I like other than Raji and Barwin, and who I think would be terrific alternatives. I will consistently list Barwin as my preference if he's available because that's where he is on my board, but if he's gone then there are plenty of other options.

Players I like:

- Malcolm Jenkins - would be thrilled with him at 23
- William Beatty - would be happy with him at 23 or 34
- Louis Delmas - would be fine with him at 34 or 47
- Jarren Gilbert - would be fine with him at 47 and up, and ok at 34 if others are gone
- Robert Ayers - would be fine with him at 34
- Clay Matthews - would be fine with him at 34
- Hakeem Nicks - would be fine with him at 34
- Sean Smith - would be fine with him at 34-58
- Donald Brown - I don't see us going RB, but I like him a lot at 34-47
- Alex Mack - anytime after 34 he would be tremendous value
- Eric Wood - anytime at 47 or later he would be tremendous value
- Larry English - anytime at 47 or later he would be tremendous value

Players I don't like:

- Vontae Davis - too inconsistent
- Brian Cushing - too many issues and stiff

Players I'm not sure about:

- Rey Maualuga - not sure he can grasp BB's complex offense, or that he's more than a 2 down SILB; wish I knew the answer

So, to pick one scenario, give me Jenkins at 23, Beatty at 34, Delmas at 47 and Gilbert at 58 and I'd be pretty psyched. My only quibble with that draft is that I see LB as a need and don't see us passing on a day 1 LB. I guess you could substitute Ayers or Matthews for Beatty in that scenario, or put Beatty at 23 if Jenkins is gone with Ayers and Matthews at 34. All of those would be good scenarios as far as I'm concerned.

I updated my big board on a separate thread, if you're interested in where I rank players in rough order. It's very tough because there are so many good players grouped so closely together.

Interesting, I can't move #23 and Barwin & Raji are gone. Where is Jenkins? Hood, Gilbert, and Alphonso Smith top my list at that point. Toss Eric Wood into the mix too. Obviously not my first choice at #23, but they offer reasonable value with a five year contract.

For the Pats:

23 - Malcolm Jenkins, CB
34 - Percy Harvin, WR
47 - Patrick Chung, S
58 - Duke Robinson, OG
89 - Scott McKillop, ILB
97 - Cedric Peerman, RB

Other notable picks:

24 - Clay Matthews, LB
28 - Donald Brown, RB
30 - Ziggy Hood, DT
31 - Knowshon Moreno, RB
36 - Darius Butler, CB
42 - William Beatty, OT
45 - Eben Britton, OT
46 - William Moore, S
48 - Louis Delmas, S
62 - James Casey, TE
63 - Sean Smith, CB/S
64 - Eric Wood, OG/C
87 - Pat White, QB/WR
96 - Jason Williams, LB

23 - Malcolm Jenkins, CB
34 - Connor Barwin, OLB
47 - Louis Delmas, S
58 - Jarren Gilbert, DE

I think the main thing that stands out to me about this mock is that he/she does not have the Patriots taking a DL with any of the 6 picks, I just don't see that happening. I also don't see BB taking perimeter guys, a WR and 2 DB's, with his first 3 picks. It's also surprising that there is no OLB on the list.

For the Pats:

23 - Malcolm Jenkins, CB
34 - Percy Harvin, WR
47 - Patrick Chung, S
58 - Duke Robinson, OG
89 - Scott McKillop, ILB
97 - Cedric Peerman, RB

Other notable picks:

24 - Clay Matthews, LB
28 - Donald Brown, RB
30 - Ziggy Hood, DT
31 - Knowshon Moreno, RB
36 - Darius Butler, CB
42 - William Beatty, OT
45 - Eben Britton, OT
46 - William Moore, S
48 - Louis Delmas, S
62 - James Casey, TE
63 - Sean Smith, CB/S
64 - Eric Wood, OG/C
87 - Pat White, QB/WR
96 - Jason Williams, LB

23 - Malcolm Jenkins, CB
34 - Connor Barwin, OLB
47 - Louis Delmas, S
58 - Jarren Gilbert, DE

I would absolutely love your version of the draft. however i don't think jenkins will fall that far. but getting these guys would be a perfect draft

Interesting, I can't move #23 and Barwin & Raji are gone. Where is Jenkins? Hood, Gilbert, and Alphonso Smith top my list at that point. Toss Eric Wood into the mix too. Obviously not my first choice at #23, but they offer reasonable value with a five year contract.

My top 11 draft value board for the Pats currently looks something like this:

. BJ Raji, DT - I think he would have the greatest overall impact on our defense.
2. Aaron Curry, LB - would probably move to SILB, but could play outside as well. The most solid player in the draft.
3. Jason Smith, OT - a 10 year pro bowl OT.
4. Eugene Monroe, OT - I rank him just below Jason Smith.
5. Malcolm Jenkins, DB - gotta figure BB would make use of him; outside chance he could slip to 23.
6. Michael Crabtree, WR - I hate WR's in the 1st, but Moss, Welker and Crabtree would be a beautiful thing to behold.
7. Connor Barwin, OLB - controversial, I know, but I think he'll be a pro bowl 3-4 OLB for us.
8. William Beatty, OT - Barwin vs. Beatty was tough, but I'm a bit more sure about Barwin than Beatty (otherwise OT would win out).
9. Louis Delmas, S - I think he could be our Troy Polamalu, or at least Michael Griffin.
10. Jarren Gilbert, DE - has the upside to actually replace Richard Seymour.
11. Darius Butler, CB - perfect Pats type CB; great footwork and overall skills.

So with Raji and Barwin gone I take Malcolm Jenkins if he is still available at 23. If he's gone I take William Beatty. If he's gone then Louis Delmas is my next highest ranked player, but there's a very good chance he might last to 34, so I might take Jarren Gilbert or Darius Butler ahead of him. Any way you cut it, I still ought to end up with a pretty nice pair of players at 23 and 34. It might end up being something Darius Butler and Clay Matthews. That wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't exactly be despondent if we ended up with those 2 guys. There's just too many good players this year for us to miss out.

I would absolutely love your version of the draft. however i don't think jenkins will fall that far. but getting these guys would be a perfect draft

That was the main reason I posted their draft. Aside from Jenkins falling I didn't particularly like their picks (though I have no problem with Patrick Chung). It was just that Jenkins combined with where their other players fell looked like a perfect scenario. It would be very hard to top that draft for me.

23 - Malcolm Jenkins, CB
34 - Percy Harvin, WR
47 - Patrick Chung, S
58 - Duke Robinson, OG
89 - Scott McKillop, ILB
97 - Cedric Peerman, RB

Substitute Barwin for Harvin, Jason Williams for McKillop, and ummm someone else for Robinson and I'm sold. Jenkins is about the only 'great' value' there. I expect Chung to last to 47 anyways.

Substitute Barwin for Harvin, Jason Williams for McKillop, and ummm someone else for Robinson and I'm sold. Jenkins is about the only 'great' value' there. I expect Chung to last to 47 anyways.

That's pretty much what I did on my idealized version of their draft. I substituted Barwin for Harvin, Gilbert for Robinson, Delmas for Chung (though for those who prefer Chung and want to keep him at 47 that's fine) and Jason Williams for McKillop. The tantalizing thing was Jamon Meredith going 88 and Jason Williams at 96. Push those picks down and you have an amazing 3rd round, which, combined with Jenkins falling and the other guys lasting in the 2nd round, would be quite amazing. It won't happen, but it's nice.

I just realized that I forgot to post the link to the mock in my OP:

DraftAce.com - 2009 NFL Mock Draft

Thanks.

I would go Malcolm Jenkins, Clint Sintim, Patrick Chung, Jamon Meredith, Jon Luigs, and Fili Moala myself, but there seems to be some strangeness going on.

The first CB at #23? Historically, that just doesn't happen.

Mohammed Massaquoi, Ramses Barden and Mike Thomas in the 2nd? Are a lot of teams going to be reaching for mid-tier WRs?

Graham Harrell and Donald Washington in the third?

Last edited:
Thanks.

I would go Malcolm Jenkins, Clint Sintim, Patrick Chung, Jamon Meredith, Jon Luigs, and Fili Moala myself, but there seems to be some strangeness going on.

The first CB at #23? Historically, that just doesn't happen.

Mohammed Massaquoi, Ramses Barden and Mike Thomas in the 2nd? Are a lot of teams going to be reaching for mid-tier WRs?

Graham Harrell and Donald Washington in the third?

In our defense aren't Jenkins and Chung playing the same position?

In our defense aren't Jenkins and Chung playing the same position?

I don't think so. I see no reason Jenkins can't play corner, although he does have some FS ability. I think Chung is purely in-the-box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back