PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

35 million in cap space, are there NO quality WRs or TEs available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still holding out some hope for Harry. I no longer think he can be a prime Anquan Boldin or Dez Bryant (which is what I hoped he would become when we drafted him) but I think he can be serviceable. I would say based on what we have seen out of him his comp is Devin Funchess. Have some moments here and there and use his body frame to make some contested catches but I am resigned to the fact that he will never be a "star" first round pick receiver. All in all, we need him this year so really any positive production from him is welcomed.
Hopefully, it’s AT LEAST 2017 Funchess.

ROFLMAO.. This thread continues to be a dumpster fire. The Pats just put up 397 yards, but Seattle is "disrespecting the pass". SMH..

No. The TE position isn't historically bad. Clearly you weren't around for the really bad years. Izzo contiues to progress and made several good blocks tonight. I also didn't see him give up anything that led to tackles for loss. Which the O-line did several times.

The RBs don't suck. But like many others, you can't be bothered to give opposing teams credit where it should be due. The addition of Jamal Adams and Bruce Irvin to that Defense improved their run stopping ability tremendously.
I have been around for the terrible years dating back to 1967, when they were playing in Fenway Park and Nickerson Field. The current TE group is extremely inexperienced and no one stands out. Maybe next year AsiAsi will have progressed.

At this point, I think Michel can be described as disappointing but not yet a total bust. Hoping that Harris returns and shows something. At WR, Harry is still, to a certain extent, an unknown quantity. The Pats still could use a speedy WR to loosen up opposing defenses. I can't remember the last time we had a player who consistently offered that type of offensive threat.

ROFLMAO.. This thread continues to be a dumpster fire. The Pats just put up 397 yards, but Seattle is "disrespecting the pass". SMH..

No. The TE position isn't historically bad. Clearly you weren't around for the really bad years. Izzo contiues to progress and made several good blocks tonight. I also didn't see him give up anything that led to tackles for loss. Which the O-line did several times.

The RBs don't suck. But like many others, you can't be bothered to give opposing teams credit where it should be due. The addition of Jamal Adams and Bruce Irvin to that Defense improved their run stopping ability tremendously.
I love the "I have been watching this team since 1964 so I know what I am talking about!". This TE group right now is not great. Maybe Keene and Asiasi start to get involved by the end of the year but right now the cupboard is pretty bare there. Maybe in 1971 (I picked an arbitrary year) we had a worse group but right now it is pretty bad.

Without White our RB group sucks. Flat out. Seattle's defense is terrible and was injured going into the game and got even more banged up during the game. Bruce Irvin who you propped up as someone who limited our running backs was a situational pass rusher who blew out his knee. Not sure how he had anything to do with our running backs being crappy.

It's not Harry's fault that the OC is a horrible talent evaluator. I think spending a 2nd rounder on Sanu is equally terrible. It's like zero clue on how to evaluate if a receiver can get open or not. We've been carried for 13 years on small slot receiver option routes.

I am still holding out some hope for Harry. I no longer think he can be a prime Anquan Boldin or Dez Bryant (which is what I hoped he would become when we drafted him) but I think he can be serviceable. I would say based on what we have seen out of him his comp is Devin Funchess. Have some moments here and there and use his body frame to make some contested catches but I am resigned to the fact that he will never be a "star" first round pick receiver. All in all, we need him this year so really any positive production from him is welcomed.

OK, a serviceable Harry and a serviceable Boyd. Edelman is great when healthy. We are likely to get very little from our TE's. This adds up to a very weak passing game.

While reading this thread I tried to imagine being a Browns fan peeking in and seeing what Patriots fans think they should do with 35 million in cap space. The thoughts of "envy" and "entitlement" popped into my little brain. Couldn't fit anymore thoughts in my head, but I'm sure others could think of a few. I'm so glad BB is the coach of the franchise I root for.

OK, a serviceable Harry and a serviceable Boyd. Edelman is great when healthy. We are likely to get very little from our TE's. This adds up to a very weak passing game.
This is the truth. Even if it doesn’t jive with what we want.
I think the Rob Ninkovich speculation regarding trading for Jarvis Landry is spot on.
Without TEs that can be integral parts of the passing game, we shouldn’t expect Jules staying healthy.

I said a RB like Sony would have been around in the 5th or 6th. Comprehend better next time before being a douche. You’re deliberately not using your 1st round RB in the passing game....because.....

I wouldn’t expect an obnoxious homer like you to see the obvious with him.

Every single draft guru, scout and media "expert" saw Sony as a top RB prospect with a 1st round grade

Guys, guys, guys...Bill's saving all this $ to sign the ABSOLUTE BEST punt block/coverage team of all time...it'll be legendary....there's a few 6th/7th defensive backs on woebegone NFC teams that have Bill's eye...there's nothing that can stop Coach Bill's desire for special teamers when he armed with late round draft picks and future considerations...

Every single draft guru, scout and media "expert" saw Sony as a top RB prospect with a 1st round grade
But still behind Nick Chubb in many cases...And with the knowledge that he already had White & Burkhead for the lighter RB roles, Bill's decision to choose Chubb ahead of Soreknee should've been a no-feckin-brainer.

Last edited:
But still behind Nick Chubb in many cases...And with the knowledge that we already had White & Burkhead for the lighter RB roles, Bill's decision to choose Chubb ahead of Soreknee should've been a no-brainer.

Except for the fact that you have no clue how Chubb would have been in this offense. You have no clue if Chubb could have handled BB's coaching. But yeah. No Brainer.. Says the guy who regularly ignores that he doesn't have 1/10th the information that BB and the team do.

Except for the fact that you have no clue how Chubb would have been in this offense. You have no clue if Chubb could have handled BB's coaching. But yeah. No Brainer.. Says the guy who regularly ignores that he doesn't have 1/10th the information that BB and the team do.
That’s funny, these clues you can’t seem to locate happen to appear on every other TV in the country. You must have a special filter.

It's not Harry's fault that the OC is a horrible talent evaluator. I think spending a 2nd rounder on Sanu is equally terrible. It's like zero clue on how to evaluate if a receiver can get open or not. We've been carried for 13 years on small slot receiver option routes.

best post in the thread. A healthy A.J. Brown is clear cut better than Harry in every way and always has been. AJ browns physical YAC explosive style is perfect for our offense but once again our WR scouts dropped the ball

or that insane college talents like Ridley and L Jackson fell to us and we did our homework heavily on both and somehow still passed on them with a 41 year old QB and depleted WRs. Thank the heavens cam newton fell on our lap otherwise this is a 3-13 squad with Stidham

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes