PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

35 million in cap space, are there NO quality WRs or TEs available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry is way too slow. How many starting WRs do you know can't even average 10 yards per catch ? Total rookies like DeeDee Lamb just put up 60 yards yesterday.....

Did you know that was a supremely cold take when you posted it and hoped that nobody would call you out on it? You felt that it was legitimate to ignore Harry's 13 and 14 ypc averages his last two years at AZ State and, instead, cherry picked a stat based upon 8 NFL games? Ok, I'll play along.

1. Play calling plays a big role in a player's YPC - both the offensive system in general and the plays which are called for that specific player. How many routes was he asked to run that were over 15 yards?

This beautiful diving catch 20 secs into the video was called back by a penalty. It would have been a 33 yd completion and that single catch would have boosted his ypc for the season to 10.6. This is why medical studies which do not include an adequate number of patients (referred to as the "Power" of the study) are not considered to be valid. The same holds true for your Harry ypc stat. We are talking statistics 101 here - you are unfortunately thinking on a Quincy Jr. College level.

3. Finally, here are some star WRs who averaged fewer than 10 ypc for a full season during their careers (I'm sure that there are many more but I wasn't going to waste more than a few minutes researching the topic - these are players who immediately came to mind).

HINES WARD
WES WELKER (twice)
JULIAN EDELMAN
JARVIS LANDRY (twice)
DAVANTE ADAMS
LARRY FITZGERALD

In summary, please don't waste our time with similar stupidity in the future.

Did you know that was a supremely cold take when you posted it and hoped that nobody would call you out on it? You felt that it was legitimate to ignore Harry's 13 and 14 ypc averages his last two years at AZ State and, instead, cherry picked a stat based upon 8 NFL games? Ok, I'll play along.

1. Play calling plays a big role in a player's YPC - both the offensive system in general and the plays which are called for that specific player. How many routes was he asked to run that were over 15 yards?

This beautiful diving catch 20 secs into the video was called back by a penalty. It would have been a 33 yd completion and that single catch would have boosted his ypc for the season to 10.6. This is why medical studies which do not include an adequate number of patients (referred to as the "Power" of the study) are not considered to be valid. The same holds true for your Harry ypc stat. We are talking statistics 101 here - you are unfortunately thinking on a Quincy Jr. College level.

3. Finally, here are some star WRs who averaged fewer than 10 ypc for a full season during their careers (I'm sure that there are many more but I wasn't going to waste more than a few minutes researching the topic - these are players who immediately came to mind).

HINES WARD
WES WELKER (twice)
JULIAN EDELMAN
JARVIS LANDRY (twice)
DAVANTE ADAMS
LARRY FITZGERALD

In summary, please don't waste our time with similar stupidity in the future.

You're completely cherry picking. Hines Ward put up under 10 yards per catch in his last year in the nfl. Harry averages less yards per catch than almost every tight end in the league. He's slow. He can't get open. I know he was never supposed to be a burner but he's nowhere close to the Anquan or Michael Irvin receiver they thought using a first round pick. Meanwhile 4 NFL rookies during covid put up 55+ yards in their very first NFL game last week. Last year a bunch put up quadruple what Harry did. He's a bust first round pick

I forgot to bookmark the post but someone suggesting making a call on Curtis Samuel who would actually be the ideal fit. He has experience with Cam, he is in the final year of the rookie deal and would be the kind of upgrade over Byrd that would make sense. He also would also not require some kind of Tier 1 market contract if we'd choose to extend in the offseason.

The Panthers have a pretty tough early schedule (@Bucs, Cardinals, @Falcons, @Saints plus more winnable games against the Chargers and Bears) so if they hover around 2-5 before the trade deadline look out.

Personally, I would hope that if there is a move that it would happen before our BYE just to maximize the time a player has to catch up. But given that deadlines usually spur deals I think that's not that likely.

All that being said at this point we don't even have a data point on Byrd. Hell, maybe it turns out that there is no real need to upgrade on him because he can get the job done adequately when given a target.

The guy who wrote that Samuel post must be a brilliant.:evil:

Here is another name....Dede Westbrook. 4.37 speed coming out of Oklahoma. Went nuts during his final year: 80/1,524/17 (4th in the Heisman voting).

66 catches each of the past two seasons with the Jags. Healthy scratch again this week (recovering from shoulder injury but is healthy enough to play). Seems to have fallen out of favor in Jacksonville but could thrive in another environment.

He's slow. He can't get open. I know he was never supposed to be a burner but he's nowhere close to the Anquan or Michael Irvin receiver they thought using a first round pick.
He made five catches last week, which should be impossible for a guy who isn't open, right?

He's not slow, he ran past plenty of guys last week.

Go watch the highlights, you clearly weren't watching the first time around.

He's NOT Micheal Irvin, LOL. Do you really think you get that level of talent picking 32nd?

You're just hung up on the "first round" label. It's pretty silly, really.

You're completely cherry picking. Hines Ward put up under 10 yards per catch in his last year in the nfl. Harry averages less yards per catch than almost every tight end in the league. He's slow. He can't get open. I know he was never supposed to be a burner but he's nowhere close to the Anquan or Michael Irvin receiver they thought using a first round pick. Meanwhile 4 NFL rookies during covid put up 55+ yards in their very first NFL game last week. Last year a bunch put up quadruple what Harry did. He's a bust first round pick

55+ yards! That's amazing. It would have been totally insane if any of them broke the impossible 70 yards barrier. You really got me there.

Jesus, you are dim. Or course I was cherry picking, like you did by using Harry's first 8 games, to prove a point, but that clearly went over your head.

You then doubled down on cherry picking by choosing the one name on my list that you could criticize, bc it occurred during his last year (but you didn't point out that he came close twice earlier in his career - 10.2 and 10.3 ypc). Fine remove Ward and you still lose the argument. Edelman averaged less than 10 ypc in his first year and Adams in his second year.

I would like to apologize to any alumnae of Quincy Jr. College, for associating their school wi

Only a complete idiot would call Harry a bust at this point in his career. Just goes to show you're a stat jockey and don't know a damn thing about actual football.

The thread title aged well.
The Seahawks basically completely disrespected passing thereat and so shut down the run.
THe TE position is historically bad. Need to consider Delanie Walker if healthy. I just do not believe that any defenses will respect anyone other than Edelman. The RB's also suck. Sony again showed he has no burst or vision and is slow. He is an average RB, They could have signed either Fournette or AP, but once again BB knows best.

If I were Bill I would seriously consider extending Cam for 3 years

The thread title aged well.
The Seahawks basically completely disrespected passing thereat and so shut down the run.
THe TE position is historically bad. Need to consider Delanie Walker if healthy. I just do not believe that any defenses will respect anyone other than Edelman. The RB's also suck. Sony again showed he has no burst or vision and is slow. He is an average RB, They could have signed either Fournette or AP, but once again BB knows best.

If I were Bill I would seriously consider extending Cam for 3 years

ROFLMAO.. This thread continues to be a dumpster fire. The Pats just put up 397 yards, but Seattle is "disrespecting the pass". SMH..

No. The TE position isn't historically bad. Clearly you weren't around for the really bad years. Izzo contiues to progress and made several good blocks tonight. I also didn't see him give up anything that led to tackles for loss. Which the O-line did several times.

The RBs don't suck. But like many others, you can't be bothered to give opposing teams credit where it should be due. The addition of Jamal Adams and Bruce Irvin to that Defense improved their run stopping ability tremendously.

LVR will have a short week to prepare for us. They play on MNF vs NO.

Perhaps, we should just pin this post, to save you from reminding us daily. The reality is that Chubb isn't on the team.
People keep bringing up this idea that Sony was the only RB capable of providing us what he did in 2018...I'm not going to not respond...

He's NOT Micheal Irvin, LOL. Do you really think you get that level of talent picking 32nd?
Of course not...You can also get that level of talent at 64th & 69th...Just ask Seattle...

People keep bringing up this idea that Sony was the only RB capable of providing us what he did in 2018...I'm not going to not respond...

You shouldn't respond because you're point ignores the fact you have no idea how Chubb would have taken to the Patriots coaching staff and Ivan Fears.

You shouldn't respond because you're point ignores the fact you have no idea how Chubb would have taken to the Patriots coaching staff and Ivan Fears.
Yeah who knows how a better player would do with better coaching?

giphy.gif

In threads such as this I think I am living in a parallel universe as I watch the Pats I know go to the Superbowl 9 times in the past 20 years, winning six.
Go to the AFC championship 12 times winning 9 in the same period..

Then there are the perennial whiners about what a terrible job BB does building his teams..

Take a guy like DK Metcalf, everybody's darling this week, was passed over by 63 teams before Seattle drafted him..

In threads such as this I think I am living in a parallel universe as I watch the Pats I know go to the Superbowl 9 times in the past 20 years, winning six.
Go to the AFC championship 12 times winning 9 in the same period..

Then there are the perennial whiners about what a terrible job BB does building his teams..

Take a guy like DK Metcalf, everybody's darling this week, was passed over by 63 teams before Seattle drafted him..
NE could win 5 SBs straight, and some will still say “Well, BB only won the opening kickoff 2/5 times..should’ve done better...:rolleyes:” Unfortunately, some are never satisfied.

Last edited:
I am still holding out some hope for Harry. I no longer think he can be a prime Anquan Boldin or Dez Bryant (which is what I hoped he would become when we drafted him) but I think he can be serviceable. I would say based on what we have seen out of him his comp is Devin Funchess. Have some moments here and there and use his body frame to make some contested catches but I am resigned to the fact that he will never be a "star" first round pick receiver. All in all, we need him this year so really any positive production from him is welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down