PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

35 million in cap space, are there NO quality WRs or TEs available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think Harry has plenty of potential, but the biggest concern for me is not his supposed lack of speed but his play strength. For such a big dude he should be bullying DB's and he's just not.
Forget the fumble out of the end zone, his worst moment on Sunday was when he caught the pass on the touchline made a few yards and got knocked backwards onto his ass by the much smaller DB on a shoulder to shoulder hit. He saw the hit coming, had time to prepare and instead of lowering his shoulder and running through the DB, he kind of slowed up, cushioned the hit and fell backwards. He needs to toughen up in a hurry.

One game does not a season make, although our WR's & TE's could probably be "better" see how all of this develops..

IMO Sunday's game plan was, "Newton is Back so watch the f... out'. Do not think that game plan will continue for 16 games..

I still think Harry has plenty of potential, but the biggest concern for me is not his supposed lack of speed but his play strength. For such a big dude he should be bullying DB's and he's just not.
Forget the fumble out of the end zone, his worst moment on Sunday was when he caught the pass on the touchline made a few yards and got knocked backwards onto his ass by the much smaller DB on a shoulder to shoulder hit. He saw the hit coming, had time to prepare and instead of lowering his shoulder and running through the DB, he kind of slowed up, cushioned the hit and fell backwards. He needs to toughen up in a hurry.

It's as if Chatham is responding directly to your post here. These are the things that coaches also see on film that we can't/don't appreciate in real time watching the network feed.

Last edited:
We really need to start drafting WR’s who can get separation. Harry is never going to be that.

We really need to start drafting WR’s who can get separation. Harry is never going to be that.

Did you watch any of the SF-AZ game, specifically Hopkins? He dominates without the ability to consistently separate. While I also would love to be able to turn back time and convince the Pats to go in a different direction at WR in 2019, there is more than one way to skin at cat at that position. Can we PLEASE stop overreacting to a small sample size and give Harry at least half a season to prove that he can make an impact. There was a glimmer of hope in that one drive, prior to the fumble (which was a mistake by a kid trying to be aggressive and make a play, but also a hell of a play by the DB).

I don't think the play book was very closed. We saw James White trying to make a pass. We saw a lot of crossing motions. We saw a lot of option plays. We saw more stuff being called than we'd see if Hoyer was on the field and he knows the play book cold. I don't think we're seeing things being held back because Cam is in there. I'm wondering if you can give examples of things that are being held back so we can look for them in future games.

I think we saw most of what the offense will be. The trend to use the strong OL to run will continue. We're going to have a ball control offense that uses Cam's strengths to keep the defense honest. We're not going to see a lot of 20+ yard passes, that's not Cam's strength. We're going to need to stay on schedule and avoid penalties. There won't be a lot of good options on third and long. At one point yesterday we saw what was a play for field position on third and long, just run it up the middle and get a few relatively yards since the D was playing back, then punt. It'd be nice if we had a good FG kicker, but that's a different topic.

IMO Cam is never going to look like Mahomes. Cam has never had that kind of arm strength and accuracy, and now he's aging and just had shoulder surgery. Mahomes runs, but he's not built like Cam. I think Josh is doing a great job building a game plan to Cam's strengths, but I don't see a lot of untapped potential. We're going to see a lot of games like we just saw yesterday, IMO.
Right on the money. Those that want to see newton run a brady like offense and throw 40+ times don’t get it. We would fail miserably doing that. This is a running offense and will work on improving the run and setting up easy passes off of it.
sure there will come a time when it will be necessary go throw the ball a lot. When that happens it won’t be a precision passing offense like the Brady offense, but hopefully in some cases newton will be able to run for first downs, or buy time and get a big play.

Had the chance, Mecole Hardman and DK Metcalf were selected in our slots in the 2nd round when we traded up last year for JoeJuan Williams. Imagine having those guys, totally changes our offense (and return game) around. That one may haunt me for a LONG time. Then this year, had a chance to select several receivers with speed and separation, even when we drafted a kicker, there were several good receivers available. Bad drafting and ignoring receivers in the draft for years, have really hurt this offense.

I was a big Harry fan, just have a bad feeling about him, I hope I'm wrong and he becomes a huge part of this offense.

Had the chance, Mecole Hardman and DK Metcalf were selected in our slots in the 2nd round when we traded up last year for JoeJuan Williams. Imagine having those guys, totally changes our offense (and return game) around. That one may haunt me for a LONG time. Then this year, had a chance to select several receivers with speed and separation, even when we drafted a kicker, there were several good receivers available. Bad drafting and ignoring receivers in the draft for years, have really hurt this offense.

I was a big Harry fan, just have a bad feeling about him, I hope I'm wrong and he becomes a huge part of this offense.
Missing on So many Mclauren, Samuel, hardman, for the love of god can we find someone new to pick WRs

It's as if Chatham is responding directly to your post here. These are the things that coaches also see on film that we can't/don't appreciate in real time watching the network feed.

Good old confirmation bias rearing its ugly head.

I understand why people like Hardman because he is so damn fast but I will never get why people think there was the slightest chance of them drafting Metcalf at a time when they were building around Brady. There is a decent chance he would have had the Damien Harris experience and been called a gigantic bust.

What would have been his role in the McD/Brady offense as raw as he was last year ?

Robinson as a one-year rental would be ideal. Not sure he is worth the big contract he wants. Should get a 3-4th comp pick if he left. I’d offer a 3rd and 5th and try and stay away from the 2nd rounder.

Add Robinson, and Curtis Samuel for a 4-5th, and the WR room improves by a ton. With all the extra comp picks y’all will have next year, they wouldn’t be risking much more than Robinson’s 10M

One game does not a season make, although our WR's & TE's could probably be "better" see how all of this develops..

IMO Sunday's game plan was, "Newton is Back so watch the f... out'. Do not think that game plan will continue for 16 games..
It can't...he won't last the season if it is...

Do we really want a one-year rental?

It's one thing if the end result is winning the Super Bowl, but let's be realistic - that's not going to happen this season, and the compensatory picks would not arrive until the 2022 draft.

Honestly the problem with OBJ is we have to trade probably a 1st or a 2nd and this year that could look stupid because we could have a high pick

A first rounder for a WR could backfire. The pats are one Cam Newton injury from being a bottom feeder team.

Honestly if it’s between Robinson and OBJ, OBJ is on a 3 year contract and it’s hard to debate OBJ is better, and they are both 27 so there isn’t much of a fear of OBJ declining steeply in a 3 year contract.

I understand why people like Hardman because he is so damn fast but I will never get why people think there was the slightest chance of them drafting Metcalf at a time when they were building around Brady. There is a decent chance he would have had the Damien Harris experience and been called a gigantic bust.

What would have been his role in the McD/Brady offense as raw as he was last year ?

I was the one saying we should trade UP in the 1st to draft him. ;)

I don't think he was raw. He had some injury concerns, sure, and had a more limited route tree than some of the other receivers in the draft. That doesn't mean that we wasn't good at what he does, however. He was the best X receiver in the draft. He wins at the line of scrimmage, and he separates well downfield on one cut and go or double move routes. He's not a twitchy inside player, but his footwork, hand-fighting, and route-running for the tree he ran was best in class IMO.

His role would have been similar to Harry, Mitchell, or Dobson, or a number of other outside rookie WRs: fades, slants, comebacks, etc. There's no question in my mind that he would have been perfectly fine in that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down