PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

25% of players (max!) care about winning the Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus! This thread got stupid.
This is not even as close to as dumb as the "Accidental Thread". Why has that not been deleted yet?

This is not even as close to as dumb as the "Accidental Thread". Why has that not been deleted yet?

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Look at it this way, do you go to work everyday hoping your company wins an award for best company? Of course not. LOL. You're there to get paid!

I think for the vast majority of people what you say is true. A job is a paycheck. The environment can be friendly or hostile or any one of a whole bunch of other things. But, the work environment is a means to an end.

I do hope, though, that everyone at some point in their working lives/careers has the chance to work for a company to which they are truly committed, whose very success is a point of pride for them.

I had that experience working for a Professional Services firm in Boston. I took criticisms of the firm as a personal affront. I felt that I was working with the smartest group of people in the city, that the company was the best in the business and I wanted others to recognize that...I don't know anything about "an award for best company," but I do know that it meant that I wanted other professionals to respect us, to respect what we did and to respect how we did it.

Yes, we were well paid. But, not as much as we could have made at an Investment Bank or Brokerage Firm in New York. While by no means anywhere near the poverty line, we did work for less than we could have made elsewhere.

So, yeah, it's not the norm, but it does happen. I wish it happened for more people.

Of course, Lane Johnson (and Marsh, and Brooks) are talking about having fun and being happy (as opposed to working extra hard, or being negatively motivated to succeed). They aren't talking about money.

You notice Marsh didn't open his mouth UNTIL he got paid. So he may not be talking about money, but he's talking because of money.

At least we didn't ruin the NFL. You and your stupid fantasy leagues and your Madden and ADD oblivious mindset unless points are being scored every three minutes. Here's a quiz for you: name another position other than quarterback or wide receiver. Give up? Quarterbacks now routinely complete nearly 70 percent of their passes and defense is all but outlawed because of the freaking millennial scourge. Have you ever attended a game without looking at your smartphone or drinking light beer? I rest my case.

For further "enlightenment," try focusing your attention long enough to read an article. Here:

Feature - GIS and the NFL: Sustainability and Millennial Fans

"Millennials, the largest generation on our planet don’t engage well with the NFL, and unless the league does something to change it, they’ll lose a significant amount of their fanbase."

There you have it, the league has lowered itself to chasing after you and your limp-wristed hyperactive pals with the shared attention span of a caffeinated gnat. God help us.
Which team owner and higher-up is a millennial? I don’t see any. Boomers and Gen X ruined the NFL. Last I checked, Goodell is a Baby Boomer.

As a millennial there’s something that rubs me the wrong way about a group of people who inherited one of the most prosperous eras in American history and oversaw it get bogged down with needless wars and tanked the economy several times telling us we are the problem because we don’t have the same priorities in our life. Check your own house first

Since this has turned into a hate speech thread, I would agree

They're the first generation that left the country worse than they inherited it, and don't seem to care either

That's pretty funny

There are a couple of awesome leaders in my organization that are Boomers that I have a tremendous amount of respect for and have helped me grow professionally...

but the vast amount of YOUR generation are some of the most entitled, lazy people I've ever met... We have the term "RIP" for a lot of them, or "Retired In Place".. one of my developers is in her late 50's and wants to retire early now because we're actually asking her to do work... her plan was to ride out the last 2 years basically doing nothing, which is a common thing I guess ... her previous boss (a boomer), has retired and left me a mess of lazy workers because he had a french liaise fare style of management because he too had a reputation for being super lazy and didn't want to do any work.. so he created an entire culture on that team which I have now inherited and have to fix

Luckily I hired another boomer that is a hard worker and has helped me right the ship, but we have to cast off a few of the dead weights before we can really make some headway... all boomers

Your statement about you showing us how to do things is laughable... I very rarely am shown how to do something, other than how to be lazy and retired in place, by the majority of boomers in my organization.. I practically shake when i have to stand behind one of them and watch them do some of the most simple tasks that take me 2-3 minutes take them 30+ minutes... They love saying "No" to pretty much any request, are stubborn, aren't good team players and are basically cranky and almost always in a bad mood.. i wont even go into all of the special advantages they've established for themselves in the CBA for pensions, retirement etc that no longer exist or are available for my generation..

I would argue that your posts border on hate speech, you completely disrespect and put down an entire generation of people that spans about 20 years with insane generalizations... It must either be an act you do for fun on the internet, or you must be one of the most bitter old men on the planet

Don't worry, a millennial will have your job soon enough and do it better than you did :)

Have a nice day
When I first got my job, I had to trim some Boomer fat too. Sometimes for the reasons you say and other times because some of them didn’t seem to want to take orders from a millennial. I saw a lot of a entitlement which is funny because the Boomers usually accuse the millennials of being the entitled generation but they’re really no different. Lots of “I’ve been here forever so I’m owed this and that,”type of attitudes. The ones that I had to let go had gotten complacent. But I also have many hard workers from that generation that are close to retirement age and haven’t taken their foot off the gas. Their nose is to the grindstone daily and I appreciate that. It motivates me to pick up the slack as well. It’s nice to have those kinds of knowledge workers on your team.

That's pretty funny

There are a couple of awesome leaders in my organization that are Boomers that I have a tremendous amount of respect for and have helped me grow professionally...

but the vast amount of YOUR generation are some of the most entitled, lazy people I've ever met... We have the term "RIP" for a lot of them, or "Retired In Place".. one of my developers is in her late 50's and wants to retire early now because we're actually asking her to do work... her plan was to ride out the last 2 years basically doing nothing, which is a common thing I guess ... her previous boss (a boomer), has retired and left me a mess of lazy workers because he had a french liaise fare style of management because he too had a reputation for being super lazy and didn't want to do any work.. so he created an entire culture on that team which I have now inherited and have to fix

Luckily I hired another boomer that is a hard worker and has helped me right the ship, but we have to cast off a few of the dead weights before we can really make some headway... all boomers

Your statement about you showing us how to do things is laughable... I very rarely am shown how to do something, other than how to be lazy and retired in place, by the majority of boomers in my organization.. I practically shake when i have to stand behind one of them and watch them do some of the most simple tasks that take me 2-3 minutes take them 30+ minutes... They love saying "No" to pretty much any request, are stubborn, aren't good team players and are basically cranky and almost always in a bad mood.. i wont even go into all of the special advantages they've established for themselves in the CBA for pensions, retirement etc that no longer exist or are available for my generation..

I would argue that your posts border on hate speech, you completely disrespect and put down an entire generation of people that spans about 20 years with insane generalizations... It must either be an act you do for fun on the internet, or you must be one of the most bitter old men on the planet

Don't worry, a millennial will have your job soon enough and do it better than you did :)

Have a nice day
Showing You How To Do Things, Part 1: learn how to punctuate and edit your writing. If this post is an example of the prose you distribute "professionally," your bottom line no doubt is at risk. Boomers should be able to help show you how it's done because they didn't grow up cutting corners in written communication.

As for a millennial having my job "soon enough," well, I've been self-employed for 26 years so that ain't happening. None of them would want it anyway, because it's more work than "fun" (no video games or social texting allowed during business hours).

You have a nice day as well. ;)

Last edited:
NFL agent says maximum 25% of players truly care about the Super Bowl

This article notes the "righteous indignation" of Lane Johnson when he talks about how his happy joy joy feelings matter more than winning Super Bowls. It's not just that he feels that way, it's not just that he's comfortable making it public, it's not just that he's willing to criticize an organization with a different philosophy... he's indignant about it!

Biggest and most necessary lie in pro sports--that winning is the be-all, end-all for players--and these Pats-hating morons are blowing the lid off it.
this is far from shocking news....this is not the 70s or 80s anymore,these are sports now where players are getting paid so much they could care less about a ring - I think even 25% is a bit high though IMO

Which team owner and higher-up is a millennial? I don’t see any. Boomers and Gen X ruined the NFL. Last I checked, Goodell is a Baby Boomer.
No, millennial ADD Me First culture is to blame for watering down this once proud professional sport institution toward something resembling basketball. I'm no marketing expert, so I can't speak specifically to what their sponsorship/advertising/fan base analytics have shown them. BUT, it's a pretty dire forecast from what I've gathered anecdotally as to what it will take for the NFL to cultivate fan support from the wretched millennial scourge, which next year will be America's largest "adult" generation. For purposes of survival, the league's hand is being forced in ways that are changing the game's very essence -- all in the name of "gratifying" hordes of spoiled, unfocused narcissists.

No, millennial ADD Me First culture is to blame for watering down this once proud professional sport institution toward something resembling basketball. I'm no marketing expert, so I can't speak specifically to what their sponsorship/advertising/fan base analytics have shown them. BUT, it's a pretty dire forecast from what I've gathered anecdotally as to what it will take for the NFL to cultivate fan support from the wretched millennial scourge, which next year will be America's largest "adult" generation. For purposes of survival, the league's hand is being forced in ways that are changing the game's very essence -- all in the name of "gratifying" hordes of spoiled, unfocused narcissists.
Funny to see you blaming millennials instead of Goodell and the owners.

Funny to see you blaming millennials instead of Goodell and the owners.
They've made their share of horrid blunders, for sure. But you can't ignore my point about the necessity of cultivating a changing fan base, and millennial predilections (wanting more offense to pad their fantasy stats, stadium sideline lounges, needing to make everything more "fun," etc.) are changing things for the worse. It's been going on a few years now and quality of play on the field has suffered noticeably.

Werewolf___Old_Man_by_ThePlatypusGallery.jpg

I don’t need a boomer to call anyone a spoiled narcissist. Your generation was a net negative to this country. That’s not hyperbole. This country is worse off after existing through your generation.

They've made their share of horrid blunders, for sure. But you can't ignore my point about the necessity of cultivating a changing fan base, and millennial predilections (wanting more offense to pad their fantasy stats, stadium sideline lounges, needing to make everything more "fun," etc.) are changing things for the worse. It's been going on a few years now and quality of play on the field has suffered noticeably.
May I ask what study or data you’re basing this on? The rules changes to favor the offensive side of the ball were largely enacted in 2003, far before fantasy football in its current context began to get a foothold and when millennials were largely in high school or middle school and weren’t looked at as a key demographic.

May I ask what study or data you’re basing this on? The rules changes to favor the offensive side of the ball were largely enacted in 2003, far before fantasy football in its current context began to get a foothold and when millennials were largely in high school or middle school and weren’t looked at as a key demographic.
It's been much more than the Polian factor. It's been a consistently slippery slope of rules changes favoring offense for quite a few years now, driven by the rising tide of millennial interest in fantasy football and gaming a la Madden. I'll refer you back to my link provided in post No. 76. It stands to reason also because: The Social Collection: ADHD: The Affliction of the Millennials

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back