PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

25% of players (max!) care about winning the Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been much more than the Polian factor. It's been a consistently slippery slope of rules changes favoring offense for quite a few years now, driven by the rising tide of millennial interest in fantasy football and gaming a la Madden. I'll refer you back to my link provided in post No. 76. It stands to reason also because: The Social Collection: ADHD: The Affliction of the Millennials
1. Rules changes that were implemented and enforced by a governing body of Boomers and Gen X.

2. Rules changes that started in ‘03 and were by far the most dramatic.

3. Millennials are not a highly profitable demographic. At least not yet. The Boomers are followed by Gen X.

Furthermore, you’re assuming that Boomers and Gen X do not play fantasy football. You cannot be more wrong. Finally, if we’re so bad, you all raised us. We didn’t raise ourselves. So who is to blame?

Furthermore, you’re assuming that Boomers and Gen X do not play fantasy football. You cannot be more wrong. Finally, if we’re so bad, you all raised us. We didn’t raise ourselves. So who is to blame?
LOL!! The ultimate lament of the spoiled child.... what's next? "I DIDN'T ASK TO BE BORN!!!" If an 8 year old acts like a spoiled brat, it's fair to blame the parents. If an adult acts like a spoiled brat, it's on themselves.

And I say that as someone who really can't stand my own spoiled brat generation - but it works to my advantage since it is so easy to outperform my peers and advance professionally.

I don’t need a boomer to call anyone a spoiled narcissist. Your generation was a net negative to this country. That’s not hyperbole. This country is worse off after existing through your generation.

Bloody nonsense. We gave you the strongest economy, and the strongest military, the world has ever seen.

Why not? Replace the smartphones and apps with transistor radios and MAD Magazine, and your generation did almost exactly that. There's a reason that the older generation was called beatnik, and it was because of those sinful boom boxes that they took everywhere, never had time to listen to their elders, always had their headphones on, no respect, et cetera et cetera ad infinutim, ad nauseam, and so forth.

Starting to sound familiar?

You guys were sick of it then, you made a lot of noise about how sick you were of it then (literally, there's no shortage of damn good classic rock pieces about jut how sick you were of this very subject) but when the time came to carry the torch yourselves? You hold it high and proud.

There is nothing new under the sun.

Yeah, the children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

....attributed to Socrates in "The Republic" by Plato, about 380 BC.

Bloody nonsense. We gave you the strongest economy, and the strongest military, the world has ever seen.
We had both before you got here and the economy is worse off than when you got it, wages haven’t significantly improved despite inflation, housing and college prices are many times over what they were when your generation was my age. Also the fact that you shamelessly spent on military in needless unwinnable wars for decades doesn’t mean a thing to me.

Trust me every millennial in the world would happily trade for the economy you inherited than the one we got from you.

The only solace I have is that your social security and Medicare will run out before you all die so you’ll get a little slice of the hell you left for us to deal with.

As a millennial there’s something that rubs me the wrong way about a group of people who inherited one of the most prosperous eras in American history and oversaw it get bogged down with needless wars and tanked the economy several times telling us we are the problem because we don’t have the same priorities in our life. Check your own house first

It isn't about generations. There are larger forces at work.

Yes, and the more money you have, the more you can use it to help satisfy the higher order needs.

maslows-hierarchy-of-human-needs-ii-business-model-1-728.jpg

LOL!! The ultimate lament of the spoiled child.... what's next? "I DIDN'T ASK TO BE BORN!!!" If an 8 year old acts like a spoiled brat, it's fair to blame the parents. If an adult acts like a spoiled brat, it's on themselves.

And I say that as someone who really can't stand my own spoiled brat generation - but it works to my advantage since it is so easy to outperform my peers and advance professionally.
Is this a serious post or a joke?

The only solace I have is that your social security and Medicare will run out before you all die so you’ll get a little slice of the hell you left for us to deal with.

What a strange thing to say to a fellow American.

Last edited:
1. Rules changes that were implemented and enforced by a governing body of Boomers and Gen X.

2. Rules changes that started in ‘03 and were by far the most dramatic.

3. Millennials are not a highly profitable demographic. At least not yet. The Boomers are followed by Gen X.

Most Boomers don't have time for trivialities like fantasy football (they prefer the game's TEAM aspect); I don't keep tabs on Gen Xers. Millennials drive the fantasy sports industry, you know that. We can further debate the Millennials' impact on rules legislation at another time. Don't get who's implementing these changes confused with who they're doing it for, and why. I've tried to point that out.

I heard new rules will be implemented soon with NFL teams. The league office will be sending out a memo that the work environment needs to be more fun for the players and shouldn't pressure them into winning the game which causes stress. In addition, teams should provide players with refreshments such as lattes, green tea and/or kale smoothies and food that's gluten free. They'll also set aside time during practice every day to get caught up on their social media via smartphones.

Coaches and GM's will be required to take "Millennial sensitivity training" which covers the Karshashians/Jenners, how to use your smart phone for Instagram/Snapchat, listen to their music such as EDM/Dubstep, mumbling rappers and bands that don't use actual instruments but are considered "Rock" or "Alternative". Only communicate via text and most importantly, how to live for "Likes".

Last but not least, every player gets a trophy at the end of the season because having only one team win the Super Bowl just isn't fair.

Last edited:
Is BB in the 25%? :D

Too soon?

When I first got my job, I had to trim some Boomer fat too. Sometimes for the reasons you say and other times because some of them didn’t seem to want to take orders from a millennial. I saw a lot of a entitlement which is funny because the Boomers usually accuse the millennials of being the entitled generation but they’re really no different. Lots of “I’ve been here forever so I’m owed this and that,”type of attitudes. The ones that I had to let go had gotten complacent. But I also have many hard workers from that generation that are close to retirement age and haven’t taken their foot off the gas. Their nose is to the grindstone daily and I appreciate that. It motivates me to pick up the slack as well. It’s nice to have those kinds of knowledge workers on your team.

Yea i ran into a little of that as well, although it wasn't very wide spread but there were certainly a few people that resented me for the position that I was hired into, despite the fact that the position was vacant for about a year because no one internally wanted the job because... drum roll.... it had a big work load lol... they resented me for it none the less, probably because they didn't like that I was higher in the hierarchy than they were and some of them have been there 20, 25, 30+ years. I would say this was more of an outlier tho, I get along with almost everyone

There are quite a few boomers tho that have mentored me and I'm forever grateful for the things that they've done to help me professionally.. I'm very much a believer in building people up, not tearing them down. I don't care if someone is a janitor or a CEO, everyone deserves a basic level of respect and I always invest my time into people to help them be successful, regardless of their rank/title, or silly things like what generation they come from. That is the type of culture that I try to promote and encourage, even if i run into resistance at times

There is definitely a huge level of complacency tho among a lot of the older people in my organization.. Its this attitude that they've been there the longest and are basically resting on their laurels of past accomplishments, thinking that should feed their paycheck indefinitely until they decide to retire. I've walked in on some developers just sitting back, computer monitor blacked out from being idle so long, reading a stephen king sized novel at their desk. Granted, this isn't all of them, but like anywhere you have to find the hard workers and learn who the people are that you can be successful with and who to avoid

I'm 35 and the average age in my organization right now I believe is 55+, which is going to cause a crisis at some point because 60% or so of the staff could retire tomorrow if they wanted to, but a lot of them won't because they're trying to milk the system for as long as possible.. definitely one of the Cons on the Pro/Con Union list for sure. I think Unions can be wonderful, and are responsible for pretty much all of the current labor laws that we all work under and enjoy today in terms of 40 hour work weeks, weekends off, paid holidays, paid sick... but man, they definitely have a ponzi scheme aspect to them as well

Showing You How To Do Things, Part 1: learn how to punctuate and edit your writing. If this post is an example of the prose you distribute "professionally," your bottom line no doubt is at risk. Boomers should be able to help show you how it's done because they didn't grow up cutting corners in written communication.

As for a millennial having my job "soon enough," well, I've been self-employed for 26 years so that ain't happening. None of them would want it anyway, because it's more work than "fun" (no video games or social texting allowed during business hours).

You have a nice day as well. ;)

First sign of victory is when someone tries to attack your grammatical mistakes, as if proofreading a post on a football message board written in the early AM as they eat breakfast and get ready for work is at the top of their priority list. There is a time and place for that, formal vs informal... hint: an internet football message board is very much an informal communication platform

I won't even charge you for that lesson

Substitute video games for books/ebooks, and you have boomers/GenXers doing the exact same thing just via a different medium. Regardless of the generation, you have to manage and motivate your team to perform and there are going to be duds or people who don't want to put in the effort that you have to motivate or manage out

Congrats on a long (and I would assume successful) entrepreneurial career. Not easy to do, and I know how much owners have to work, live and breath their business to make it something successful having been part of a few startups

I'm not even being sarcastic there, I'll tip my cap where its due

No, millennial ADD Me First culture is to blame for watering down this once proud professional sport institution toward something resembling basketball. I'm no marketing expert, so I can't speak specifically to what their sponsorship/advertising/fan base analytics have shown them. BUT, it's a pretty dire forecast from what I've gathered anecdotally as to what it will take for the NFL to cultivate fan support from the wretched millennial scourge, which next year will be America's largest "adult" generation. For purposes of survival, the league's hand is being forced in ways that are changing the game's very essence -- all in the name of "gratifying" hordes of spoiled, unfocused narcissists.

That is really just the bi-product of technology and lack of parenting/mentoring from the previous generation. Technology has had an impact on the development of young kids, which is pretty obvious when you think about it. 20 years ago we didn't have a powerful computer that fit in your hand and could access an infinite database of information. Now kids are getting smartphones at like 5 years old, and its dramatically affecting the way their brains develop in both good ways and bad.

Someone just posted a Ted Talk a few months ago here that describes the dopamine effect and addiction that technology is causing. My own sister wanted her kids to have a cell phones at a young age so they could contact her or dial 911 in an emergency.

That isn't the fault of the 5 year old kid, its a bi-product of an evolution in technology and the way that the world/society has a whole is now more connected than was ever imaginable in human history. It was created by the previous generations and these are some of the side effects of that. Virtual Reality has been taking huge strides forward and is now very affordable/accessible, and the quality of it is pretty mind blowing now. We'll need to continue to learn how to co-exist with technology, because its only going to rapidly improve

Last edited:
Just for fun I broke down the owners in my fantasy league by generation;

Boomers = 2
GenXers = 5
Millenials = 2 (tho I'm more of a Xennial)
GenZers = 1

So 70% of my fantasy league is made up of Boomers & GenXers

So much Millennial angst in here. I guess I missed the memo that we were gonna have a Chris Stevenson Memorial Thread.

Can we also talk about Felger and Mazz and how the NFL wants parity so they can move the Jags to London?

We had both before you got here and the economy is worse off than when you got it, wages haven’t significantly improved despite inflation, housing and college prices are many times over what they were when your generation was my age. Also the fact that you shamelessly spent on military in needless unwinnable wars for decades doesn’t mean a thing to me.

Trust me every millennial in the world would happily trade for the economy you inherited than the one we got from you.

Members of every generation to some extent blame the one before and further down the road doubt the next one. Few of them that I have seen managed to do it as loutishly as you just did yet somehow I will manage not to tar all of your cohorts with the brush you provided. I actually respect folks regardless of generation until they show me a reason not to.

FWIW while we lost the war we got sent off to it wasn't because it wasn't winnable it was because the leadership of the generation before us didn't allow us to win. We did however at least manage to win the war we inherited and you're welcome for that whole secure upbringing and not speaking Russian thing that went along with that W. Be sure to pick up your trophy for hearing about it on the way out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes