PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Thread (Continued..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
College QB and WR combos' this have to be the first year I ever seen this a testament to how deep this Draft is at certain positions ie...QB and WR. The Patriots could definitely bring in a combo tandem like Daniels/Brian Thomas - Maye/Tez Walker - Bo Nix/Troy Franklin - Penix Jr/Rome Odunze - Rattler/Legette. Just to name a few getting guys who are familiar with each other could strengthen a Teams success draft wise thoughts...

Mayo really talked a lot about trading down... Specifically he said "The guaranteed way to win is to get more picks". He also said he thinks there are "5 or 6 guys" at QB who can be their QB of the future in this draft. But didn't say who. A reporter asked him who and he wouldn't give names lol.

Ok so if Mayo is saying there’s 5 QBs they like and they respect toughness and decision making the most.

Who are known as the toughest players who are great decision makers who are also team leaders.
That is the the guy they are targeting.
Penix Jr #1 Daniels #2 Maye #3 Bo Nix #4 JJ McCarthy #5 Rattler #6.

Mayo really talked a lot about trading down... Specifically he said "The guaranteed way to win is to get more picks"

Some people won't like it but it's the best way to help build up a talent devoid Offense. We are literally rebuilding on Offense our QB will probably sit a year anyway that gives you the option to groom second tier Guys like Rattler - Pratt or Milton. Get your future WR's and Offensive Tackles from this Draft: the 2025 Draft will not be as deep. Use #3 and take the haul Chicago and Washington ain't Trading we are in the most Ideal Trade spot no question.

Ok so if Mayo is saying there’s 5 QBs they like and they respect toughness and decision making the most.

Who are known as the toughest players who are great decision makers who are also team leaders.
Penix Jr - JJ McCarthy and Bo Nix are old school Pocket QB's they won't be runners in the Pros.

I think when people say BPA, they mean like taking Carlos Dunlap instead of Jermaine Cunningham, or taking Keenan Allen instead Aaron Dropson, or not taking a safety with a borderline UDFA ranking in the second rd because they play ST and really like playing football
I think in the case of Dunlap, Cunningham was more of a fit. Dropson was a big mistake. Both picks were slammed on this forum as majority preferred the players not drafted by the Pats

Yeah 3 #1’s, and 2 #2’s kind of insane deal. You’d have to take it if offered.
If you're not sold on the option at 3, definitely.

Some people won't like it but it's the best way to help build up a talent devoid Offense. We are literally rebuilding on Offense our QB will probably sit a year anyway that gives you the option to groom second tier Guys like Rattler - Pratt or Milton. Get your future WR's and Offensive Tackles from this Draft: the 2025 Draft will not be as deep. Use #3 and take the haul Chicago and Washington ain't Trading we are in the most Ideal Trade spot no question.
If the New Patriot Way is truly to build from within, then creating a year-over-year pipeline of extra premium picks has to be considered.
Deal with a garbage team with no 2024 hope.
And use any extra midround draft picks secured in such a deal to trade for quality vets this year who can help the team now.
------------------------------------------
Sean Payton is now saying Denver might consider moving up (to avoid the Jarrod Stidham era).

If the New Patriot Way is truly to build from within, then creating a year-over-year pipeline of extra premium picks has to be considered.
And use any extra midround draft picks secured in such a deal to trade for quality vets this year who can help the team now.
Sean Payton is now saying Denver might consider moving up (to avoid the Jarrod Stidham era).

Also have to consider the fact that Miami and the Jets are both "win now" teams - they are loaded up to "go for it" in the very short term. Buffalo's core roster is also ageing and Josh Allen is getting more expensive, and his legs will serve him less year over year and he gets older. It does make some sense for New England to take a slow approach and try to build a really strong team that hits its stride in around 2 years once the rest of the division comes down to earth.

That is my concern with trading down to #5.

If you do that the chances are great that you will miss out on all of the top four QBs.

That needs to be part of the equation.

Mayo really talked a lot about trading down... Specifically he said "The guaranteed way to win is to get more picks". He also said he thinks there are "5 or 6 guys" at QB who can be their QB of the future in this draft. But didn't say who. A reporter asked him who and he wouldn't give names lol.

I think the 5 or 6 guys are obvious. There is no mystery here. He may have left out either Nix or Penix out of the top 5.

That is my concern with trading down to #5.

If you do that the chances are great that you will miss out on all of the top four QBs.

That needs to be part of the equation.
Is a Kirk Cousins or Jared Goff Potential type QB a bad thing?? What if we build by loading up similar to what Detroit and Atlanta did with Elite players then try to get a QB that make it all work I'm all for that approach. I don't want to Draft QB @ 3 and sit him a year might as well take one @ 23 or 34 if you're going to do that.

I think the 5 or 6 guys are obvious. There is no mystery here. He may have left out either Nix or Penix out of the top 5.
I wouldn't mind loading up with either of those guys as our QB put the talent around them and see how it goes. They ain't going in the Top 10 but can play with this group I like them as second tier guys.

I think that's pretty much on every team's list for QB's. They are also 3 of the harder things to judge accurately with college players.

Best available player is a concept that cannot be executed without reference to context. For most of Brady's twenty years, if the best available player (in the early rounds) was a quarterback when the Patriots came up to draft, it would have been idiotic to make that selection.
True, good point.

On a completely separate subject, I recall reading in a book somewhere that Belichick liked to add a QB every year for developmental purposes, as insurance at the position. There were some occurrences that baffled me at the time, and to a lesser extent still confuse me today.

For example, using a 4th round pick on Rohan Davey after the Pats had just won the Super Bowl. Granted they were going to trade Bledsoe, but the Pats still had Damon Huard as the backup QB.

Another was using a 3rd round pick on Kevin O'Connell in 2008. Brady was coming back from his injury, and Matt Cassel had proven himself to be more than capable. I suppose BB had already decided to cash in on Cassel's value and trade him. But using that early of a pick on a player that would never see the field?

There was also the drafting of Jacoby Brissett in the 3rd round 2016. Brady was going to miss the first four games, but the team had just drafted Jimmy Garoppolo two years prior. In this case I proved myself wrong of course, but as soon as the suspension was completed Brissett was no longer needed. Unfortunately all the Pats got in return was Phillip Dorsett - who by the way, for some unknown reason still in the NFL (with Denver).

True, good point.

On a completely separate subject, I recall reading in a book somewhere that Belichick liked to add a QB every year for developmental purposes, as insurance at the position. There were some occurrences that baffled me at the time, and to a lesser extent still confuse me today.

For example, using a 4th round pick on Rohan Davey after the Pats had just won the Super Bowl. Granted they were going to trade Bledsoe, but the Pats still had Damon Huard as the backup QB.

Another was using a 3rd round pick on Kevin O'Connell in 2008. Brady was coming back from his injury, and Matt Cassel had proven himself to be more than capable. I suppose BB had already decided to cash in on Cassel's value and trade him. But using that early of a pick on a player that would never see the field?

There was also the drafting of Jacoby Brissett in the 3rd round 2016. Brady was going to miss the first four games, but the team had just drafted Jimmy Garoppolo two years prior. In this case I proved myself wrong of course, but as soon as the suspension was completed Brissett was no longer needed. Unfortunately all the Pats got in return was Phillip Dorsett - who by the way, for some unknown reason still in the NFL (with Denver).
One week, there were five QBs starting games in the NFL, who got their start with the Pats.

This was back when Ryan Mallet was still in the league since he was one of them.

The Pats have had a great history of developing useful QBs.

Penix Jr #1 Daniels #2 Maye #3 Bo Nix #4 JJ McCarthy #5 Rattler #6.
Here is a thought question.

If Daniels, Maye and McCarthy were not in this draft, how high would Penix and Rattler be projected to go?

Certainly both would be 1st round.

Penix would likely be top 5.

Also, of all of the top 4 QBs, assuming they are not busts, which one has the longest career?

Now it would depend on who drafts them of course, but I worry about Daniels’ longevity.

Whoever drafts him is going to hold their breath every time he takes a hit.

Here is a thought question.

If Daniels, Maye and McCarthy were not in this draft, how high would Penix and Rattler be projected to go?

Certainly both would be 1st round.

Penix would likely be top 5.

Also, of all of the top 4 QBs, assuming they are not busts, which one has the longest career?

Now it would depend on who drafts them of course, but I worry about Daniels’ longevity.

Whoever drafts him is going to hold their breath every time he takes a hit.
Understandably but if you put a quality OL around him IMPACT Player I think he's the best of the bunch he does so many things well. Daniels is going to be a weapon he's better than Lamar when he came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Back