PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT 2024 NEP 3RD Overall Pick - DRAKE MAYE

What’s your source for this analysis? Do you have some examples you could show?
Belichick on McAfee's tonight showed several examples of his footwork problems -- but he found faults with all three of the top QB's

Remember this BB values decision making in a QB over tools. From his profiles of the QBs in this draft it sounded like he would have taken McCarthy or Bo Nix instead of Drake Maye.

But then again also remember, that he wouldn't have moved up to take Julio Jones who is headed for the HOF and his WR picks have been questionable over the past 2 decades.

So yes he's a brilliant defensive coach. But that doesn't exactly make him the best "grocery shopper" for offensive players.

What maye looks like today and what he looks like a year from now, are hopefully two very different quarterbacks.

1.) speed up the processing of coverage.
2.) fix the accuracy
3.) fix the footwork.
4.) teach him to look off coverage

Fix those 4 things and we got a decent qb for 2025

After watching the Draft stage interview and the press conference, I really like this guy. Seems like a calmer and cooler Gronk.

If Bill does not like the pick… I am 1000% confident it was the right pick. The genius would not know a great offensive prospect if it hit him in the face.
Belichick broke down the 6 QBs before the draft pointing out their strengths and what part of their game they needed to improve at the NFL level.

When talking about them he specifically highlighted Williams and Maye as having the most potential and it almost seemed like he would have loved to have still been on the Pats with Maye at QB.

Geez, Ted Johnson on NBSBH throwing cold water on the Maye and Mayo/Wolf press conferences. He said it seemed to him that Maye was disappointed not going to the Giants and Mayo/Wolf aren't excited with the pick. :confused:
And let’s go live to Ted Johnson….
200w.gif

Belichick on McAfee's tonight showed several examples of his footwork problems -- but he found faults with all three of the top QB's

Just what I've observed over 30+ years of watching the NFL. If others disagree, that's fine. But QBs have way too much on their plates in studying the playbook to get these basics together.

I probably would’ve hated this pick 10 years ago but I think Dudes with Mayes profile translate to the nfl better now and have a bigger chance at success. You still need to be able to process and make reads. But I feel like it’s gotten easier to be a quarterback

Geez, Ted Johnson on NBSBH throwing cold water on the Maye and Mayo/Wolf press conferences. He said it seemed to him that Maye was disappointed not going to the Giants and Mayo/Wolf aren't excited with the pick. :confused:
I agree with him on Wolf's answer to the "When did you know." The reaction was really bizarre, but it might be a keeping it close to the vest thing. TJ's comment on Maye's interview energy making it seem like he doesn't want to be a Pat is just... silly.

Last edited:
Drake Maye film breakdown:

He acknowledges that Drake maye played worse in 2023 but also had less help than in 2022. Just some food for thought.

I think it's a big mistake. McCarthy was the right pick and the Pats whiffed. Again.
I agree. JJ will probably turn out to be the better QB, or at least a solid player. Not so sure about Drake.

The picking of Maye seems like a Bob/J Kraft special. Hopefully the Krafts do not dictate the rest of the draft. A trade down would have been better; the elite WRs and OLs are now gone. Unless the Patriots can address those needs, any QB playing for the Patriots will have a difficult time of it.

Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
Back